GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

South Africa - Teach Children and Surf in Cape Town

Just amazing!

I booked the volunteer experience through Goeco, otherwise I think that I would never had found this program. They helped me with every step of my journey to Cape Town, and I really appreciated that.

Once I got there, I enjoyed every aspect of the experience.
It's wonderful to share the volunteer house with other guys. It's definitely not a five-star hotel, the food is not the best, but you'll have the opportunity to buy stuff in the local supermarkets and eat out in the many restaurants/bars in the neightborhood. The house were the volunteers live is located in Blouberstrand, a really paceful and quiet area a few minutes by walk from the beach, where you can enjoy the best view of the Table Mountain.
Don't go there and expect to surf every day, as sometimes the sea is too flat or wavy. It will be amazing everyday. Working with the kids in the school of Elundini might be tough, but extremely rewarding.
I meet some great people there.

Andrea

I Love Cape Town!

I did the “South Africa - Teach Children and Surf in Cape Town” with GoEco and it was the most amazing trip of my life!

I spent my mornings in a township teaching 3-5 year olds how to speak english and spent my afternoons surfing and helping 12-14 year olds learn how to surf.

The hostel SaltyCrax and volunteer organization SAVE that GoEco paired me up with was top notch and full of extremely awesome and helpful people. I felt very welcome, was able to settle in from day 1, and truly felt like Cape Town was my home for the 6 weeks I was there.

In addition to the volunteering and doing other activities in the Cape Town area, we had the weekends free to ourselves to explore. I went on a tour of the Eastern Cape and got to see a bunch of other amazing towns and areas of South Africa and even got to surf in the Indian Ocean at Jeffreys Bay!

I know I would not have had as awesome and fun filled a trip if I didn’t book with GoEco, so I truly recommend them for any and all volunteer trips abroad!

David Kolakowski

Volunteering in Cape Town

My stay in Cape Town was very inspiring and definitely something I would recommend. I worked in a school located in the Dunoon Township just a couple of minutes of driving from where we stayed. Even though the facilities of my school were quite impressive and better than I had expected, there was unfortunately not a single teacher to take care of the children. What that meant was that we, the volunteers, were the ones responsible for all the teaching. What sounds intimidating at first actually was really rewarding as I really felt like making a difference and helping the community by providing those children with some new knowledge.
Furthermore, I was once again surprised by how many great people you meet when traveling. No matter if staff or volunteer, every one seemed to be open and nice. I also felt quite safe all throughout my stay, even though South Africa is certainly different from Europe when it comes to that.
All in all, this was definitely not my last volunteering stay and I would like to do it again with goEco when the time comes.

Variety in volunteering

My daughter and I signed up for this program even though we only had 1 week available to work it and GoEco/SAVE was very accommodating to allow us to do it. The housing was fine, nothing special but we felt very safe and secure there -- which is all we needed in housing. While the provided dinners were great, the breakfasts and lunches were someone mediocre, so my daughter and I found ourselves eating out, which we didn't consider a problem at all as we got to explore the area. This isn't a resort they're running there, so while you'll be taken care of, you won't be pampered. But if you're truly going there to help others (as we were), then you'll be fine and probably get a better experience then you expect. We did!

The people who run the program on-scene there are awesome and you'll be with others who really have their hearts in the right place -- helping underprivileged kids grow, develop, and have meaningful experiences.

Don't go there expecting to surf/teach-surfing each day. There are several worthwhile projects going on that you may find yourself "volunteered" for. We were hoping to be able to spend time teaching kids to surf, but we never got the opportunity. We did, however, work in a township with preschool kids, teach swimming lessons, teach computers skills to kids, and do some general repairs to their supplies. Sometimes volunteers need to be flexible and go where they're needed. That's what happened with us.

You'll have plenty of time to do your own thing -- hike, surf, shop, look at penguins, etc.

We had a good time and would probably use GoEco for our next adventure into Africa.