GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

Seychelles - Wildlife Conservation Expedition

My Amazing Seychelles Adventure

Volunteering through GoEco in the Seychelles doing environmental conservation will be something I will never forget. The idea of living a lot more basic than normal was a little scary but the minute I arrived at our base on Curieuse island, everything felt right. It was actually quite refreshing to not have all of the daily luxuries like wi-fi, electricity and air conditioning.

A “normal day” on Curieuse consisted of waking up around 6 or 6:30 and doing chores until breakfast and then going on our designated surveys. Those surveys were turtle surveys, shark surveys, bird surveys, mangrove surveys or coco de mer surveys! If you were out past lunch, you would pack your own lunch to have out on the survey. After lunch, you might have another survey to do, but you would also have time to relax and play volleyball, or go snorkeling right off our base! You would then have dinner and then have more time to relax, but you would usually just be too exhausted from the day and go straight to bed!

My favorite survey was definitely the turtle surveys. I am currently going to school for Marine Biology so it was right up my ally! We would go to the different beaches on the island and look for fresh turtle tracks and crawls, as well as excavate turtle nests that had already hatched! We even came across a few nests that were emerging, as we were there which was incredible! They were literally bubbling up from the sand and the hatchlings of course crawled straight into the water!

It was so hard to leave the life we had been living for 2 months, but it was amazing to learn everything we did along side the staff that were so knowledgeable about so many aspects of the surveys. The staff members were fantastic and they were so easy to get along with, as were the rest of the volunteers! After only a week it was like we were a big family! I would highly highly recommend this project for anyone who is willing to get down and dirty and learn a lot about the environment and it’s inhabitants while living in a tropical paradise!

Seychelles: My Journey of a Lifetime

Deciding to go on the Wildlife Conservation Expedition for me was an easy decision to make. Getting to help collect data in the Seychelles while getting to live in a National Park sounded like a worthwhile experience, and it was. From the minute I finally arrived on Curieuse Island I knew this experience wouldn’t be one I soon forget.
After arriving on the island we were immediately began our training in which we learned what the project was, what they did on the island, and why. From Sea Turtle nest surveys to mangrove population census there was so much to learn but in no time we were out on the island collecting data!
On our fist day we had the chance to see not only a Hawksbill nesting for the first time, but we also saw hatchlings making their way to the ocean! It was incredible to see rare creatures like that so abundant on the island! Living in the Seychelles for two months was not only a great experience for the knowledge and conservation efforts you get to be a part of, but for the unique experience of living in an old leper colony in a national park! The base is unlike any other place around where even the place that you sleep in has hundreds of years of history!
On the island you also get to take part in surveys such as Lemon Shark Pup Census, Mangrove salinity tests, Tortoise Census, Coco De Mer growth surveys, and tweets or bird observation surveys! The experiences gained from this trip are invaluable and all of the priceless memories and friendships will last forever.
Overall my time on Curieuse in the Seychelles was a trip I wont soon forget and someday I hope to return. Nowhere else in the world can you find a place similar to the Seychelles and to be a part of the conservation efforts on such an amazing island is an opportunity not many people get to have!