GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

China - Giant Panda Center

Excellent Balance Of Volunteering & Exploring China

This is one of the best volunteer projects that we have ever done. The first few days are made up of exploring China before heading into the Giant Panda centre to volunteer for 3 days.

Some may want to volunteer at projects for longer than a week but we promise that you will be very satisfied and happy with just one week here. You will explore the city of Chengdu and the region of Sichuan around the centre.

There are a wide variety of optional activities including dumpling making, temple exploring, chinese calligraphy classes and basic Mandarin classes. You won't get bored at this project.

You main tasks when volunteering are cleaning out the Panda enclosure and preparing bamboo before feeding them four times a day. It is so cute to watch them eat their Panda bread, carrots and apples - a highlight of the trip.

We highly recommend anyone to come do this project even though interaction is very minimal. Being able to get this close to feed Panda's is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Date volunteered: June 2016
Recommended time spent here: 1 week (no more)
Living conditions: Twin Share Bedrooms, hot showers
WiFi: Excellent - just use a VPN
Vegetarian friendly: Yes
Additional Notes: There are breaks between each feeding - we recommend you take the walk back to the hostel to get a drink or relax before heading back out. Max walk time can be around 20 minutes, but min will be around 5 min.

Thank you to Go Eco for allowing us to experience this incredible volunteer project in China. Our opinion is, as always, our own.

Panda heaven

I have always wanted to work with pandas, I'm so glad I got to have this experience! We started with a couplets exploring Chengdu, including visiting the panda research centre there before heading to our base. Every day we started with cleaning a panda enclosure then coming back for three feedings a day. We got to feed our panda through the enclosure bars, so up close and personal!
Lots if free time to watch pandas, read, play cards etc. Also opportunities to learn Chinese and calligraphy, play mah Jong watch movies and more in the evenings. Food was delicious and rooms were nice, shared with another volunteer. Highly recommend this program, I miss the pandas already!

Best week ever!

Through GoEco I was able to do something I've wanted to do my whole life - volunteer with giant pandas! These animals are majestic and because of their rarity it is hard to get up close and personal with them. The program offered by GoEco was one of only a few offered globally and it certainly appeared to be the most legitimate. On this program the conservation of pandas is also the main concern so you know they are in good hands.

Through my volunteer experience I got to spend a lot of time with the pandas, feeding them 3 times a day as well as cleaning their enclosures in the morning. The program was well organised, the accommodation was great and the food was even better! I also made some great friends on the program that I am still in touch with now.

All in all I had a amazing, once-in-lifetime experience.

Panda adventure!

The giant panda program was a wonderful experience. I had a great time meeting new people from all over the world and trying new foods that I wouldn't get to experience anywhere else. Working with the giant pandas was the best part of the trip. Hand feeding them everyday gives you the opportunity to be up close with these wonderful animals. Watching the panda kindergarten was a good way to pass the time. I have plenty of adorable baby panda pictures!