CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

The London Semester

The best semester of my college career.

CIS and Roehampton made my semester in London incredible. The campus was in a great location and I always had something to do. I had a sense of complete independence and responsibility but I knew I could go to any of my advisors if I needed any sort of help.

I loved the whole on site team- they were extremely helpful and fun to be around!

Social Life:
Roehampton had multiple social events a week; they were always so fun and that's where I met most of my friends.

Best Experience of my Life

To be honest, I didn't participate much with the people involved at CIS in England (specifically at Uni of Roehampton). I didn't feel like I needed to because I met so many great people on my own; some British, but American as well. Roehampton and their services for study abroad students are great. The campus is beautiful. I had a really amazing time at school, exploring London, exploring the rest of Europe, and making some awesome friends.

Safe, easy to get around.

Social Life:
Roehampton has great social programs. RSU is awesome and Bop on Fridays is a lot of fun. Social life outside of Roehampton is awesome too because it's London...what's not to love?

Indescribable

Words cannot even describe my experience. I don't want to leave and if I could do it over I would do it a heartbeat. It was the best decision of my life and I don't regret a second of it. The University of Roehampton was fantastic. I will never forget the experiences I had and the people I've met. I do not want to leave. Words cannot describe such an experience, only doing it does.

Overall good school with decent professors but not comparable to the education I received in America. But who is there for that?

Overall good. Not a bad place on campus. Really enjoyed living with both sexes and people from around the world.

Made tons of English friends. Did a lot of things normal students don't get to do like spend time and holidays with English families.

Good and friendly people. Big thanks to Nadia, Alex, and Maggie. They were never far away and I hate I couldn't spend more time with them.

Walls and security guards. Even though it's in a nice part of London, still comforting to see them.

Social Life:
Roehampton really does a great job with their students. They schedule nights out and have tons of events on and off campus.

The Excellent London Experiance

My experience with/at the University of Roehampton, through CIS, was a fantastic one. Take it from a skeptic, who usually doesn't trust online reviews, it was an experience worth having. I loved the lifestyle of London, and all of the beauty it had to offer. I could go on and on and on of what I did, or what you should do, or yadda yadda yadda. But if your like me you want it short and sweet. My only issue with the whole affair, was the whole "study abroad introversion". Roehampton had the study abroad students arrive almost two weeks before classes, which was nice, but I wished they would let the students know so they could book trips across Europe. But I used that time to explore London, which was nice. I found making friends with the US was terrible (granted the mixer wasn't all that fun). I made friends with students who were from Britain or other parts of Europe much easier. But that is only a small gripe, against a fantastic adventure. Again that small gripe of mine did not ruin my fantastic trip. Just a warning, that first week might be hard, but it is completely worth it. But don't take my word for it, find out for yourself. I promise you won't regret it.

The courses were difficult and enjoyable.

Only little things like the window wouldn't close all the way and internet was terrible but other than that I have no reason to complain

I loved it. Only problems I had was with students from the US haha, while I had an easy and great time with everyone else.

Very friendly and helpful.

My study abroad experience with CIS was filled with amazing memories and a head full of new information.

I studied abroad in London with CIS in the Spring of 2013 at the University of Roehampton. I was of course very nervous to live in another country for several months away from everything that I knew and was comfortable with, but this is why I went and was itching to go. The 3+ months that I was in London flew by faster than anything I had ever experienced, and everyday was memorable. I traveled almost every weekend to a new country throughout Europe, which is extremely easy to do. Only downside is that all the "London" airports are not actually in London, except for Heathrow, and take an hour plus to get there from Victoria Bus Station. Roehampton is on the outskirts of central London, so it was always a trek to get into central, from taking the 72 bus to Hammersmith, and then the tube into central. But with friends, the journey was always a blast, as you see and experience people you will never experience again. The classes I took at Roehampton were very different from my school back in America, and we only met once a week for a 2+ hour class. I really enjoyed the classes I took, and the opportunity I had to submerge myself with British students was something I'll never forget. Overall, I had the best semester studying in London, and wish I could hop on that plane to Heathrow and start all over again.

I give the Academics at Roehampton an A. Studies and classes are taught very differently there, and I somewhat liked it better than the American way.

I was in love with my living situation. It was the top floor of the dorm, and there were 7 of us and we all became really close and had a great time together. It was an amazing experience. I do give it an A- because I was told I would get things that I did not receive, such as an ensuite. It was a huge disappointment at first, so I would make sure not to give out false information for future semesters.

I feel like I fully was able to immerse myself into this new culture and take full advantage of my location. I learned about different foods and ways of living through all of the English, as well as European, people I met while in London.

The administration was very helpful. I only give them an A- because they werent always on campus, which is totally understandable. But everyone was great and a huge help to us all.

I felt 100% safe in London, whether it was on campus at Roehampton, or walking around central London. The campus was really secure and has 24 hour security, which was relieving to see the first day we arrived.

Social Life:
The social life was amazing. Everyone was always itching to go out and do something, which was really nice, and everyone we met was very friendly.

Life changing

Life changing experience that helped me grow as an individual

Studying abroad is an experience that should not be missed.

I had an incredible study abroad experience. This was the best decision of my undergraduate career. I love London and all the opportunities it provides. I loved the unique opportunity I had to study and live in such a culturally and historically important city.

My major is Nutrition but this was not listed in the drop down menu. I took history courses during my study abroad experience.

Studying abroad in London

CISabroad provided me with an amazing and unforgettable experience. The staff on campus helped me feel at home and made sure I had opportunities to explore and learn about the new city I was living in. I would highly recommend to anyone thinking about studying abroad!

My semester in London

My time at the University of Roehampton was fantastic. The class scheduled offered plenty of time to explore the city and surrounding cities and even countries on top of academics. Living with home students in a flat of six people (some were other study abroad students) was a challenge but also fun because I made some great friends along the way. CIS was great at helping get students settled in and being available throughout the semester if we needed help or just someone to talk to. The excursions were interesting and unique; they were not your typical tourist activities, but interesting things such as a visit to Kensington Palace and high tea at The Orangery. Overall, it was a great experience in a great city.

Amazing

A wonderful, enlightening experience

Somethings were broken during the years. Some of those things were fixed right away and others took some time to get fixed. Fire alarm went off contently.

Security always on campus. City itself felt very safe

Living in London was a very freeing experience.

When I chose to come to London for my study abroad experience, I wasn't entirely sure why I was coming here instead of somewhere else. I had no idea what I would spend my time doing. I shouldn't have worried about how to fill my time, because I quickly learned that living so close to a theatre district was dangerous for my wallet. I spent most of my time here seeing plays: in five months I saw 13 of them. I had also made the decision to buy the social program that was an option for all study abroad students, and it was one of the best decisions I made here. I got to see some tourist attractions that I wouldn't have thought of going to on my own, and it gave me the opportunity to meet some other study abroad students. Another great thing about my experience here, is that it allowed me to be entirely independent for the first time, in a way that I was 100% confident in. I don't have a car back home, and Colorado does not have the best public transport system, so being able to get around the city on my own without needing to walk everywhere was very freeing.

My amazing semester in London

My semester in London at the university of roehampton was so great. If you want a less demanding class schedule and want to studying abroad. This is a great place because you do not have to learn a new language. Oh and my flat mates LOVED learning about the US because they had never been.

Less demanding than my home university

LOVED my flat mates made my experience even better

Amazing!

Studying abroad in London was incredible for my academic life and my personal life alike. Traveling, making new friends, exploring myself, and growing in academics, this experience was priceless.

Classes were very different in the UK. Once or twice a week for a few hours--- and two assignments due the entire semester. It took some getting used to.

Loved my flat and roommates.

Incredible melting pot of a community.

Very wishy washy and inconsistent. Nice staff though.

Pretty great safety precautions and officers.

Social Life:
Best part of my experience.

Amazing English Semester (original)

The process with CIS abroad was easy and I had lots of help. The accommodations at Roehampton were great, and I felt very comfortable there. We were only 20 minutes from the center of London, and had access to great places all over Europe.

Loved where I lived at Roehampton.

We met tons of fellow students but most who were American not English

Great Program

Great program! I loved my study abroad experience to London so much! The administration and orientations were very helpful! I loved my accommodation and classes too!

Just Go

Whether you're going through CIS, some other study abroad programme, or just traveling on your own: get out of your country! Go experience different cultures, people, and food. You won't regret it.

The classes were longer than I have at my US university, but the content was great and the majority of my professors very nice. Don't let work pile up. Even though you may only have 3 assignments due at the end of the year, you're going to need the time in between to do outside research. Your grade is very dependent upon how much work you put in outside of the classroom.

My room was nice with an en-suite shower and sink, but my flatmates were the exact opposite of me in terms of socialising. I'm not a big partier, but they went hard core every wednesday and friday, and sometimes other days as well. They displayed immaturity that's common in freshman though, and you are living in a dorm setting, so it's just something to be aware of and prepare for.

Once I joined a society I met a lot of new people, but most of my friends ended up being other study abroad students (from the US and other countries like Norway and Sweden). If you want to be immersed, you have to put yourself out there and go to different events. There is so much to do in London; take advantage of it. Most of the venues/events that I went to though were not through CIS. The Oxford trip CIS sponsored was nice, but I planned many of my own trips and found things to do myself.

I felt that the facebook page that kept CIS students updated on things going on in London could have been better run. Events that were posted were always for the day of, and so I usually had something else planned. If I had known about things in advance, then I would have changed my schedule to go to them. Some of the events the CIS staff linked us to looked really interesting too, and I was sorry I had not heard about them sooner. I also did not care for how little information I received about Roehampton and the process of getting from the airport to the Uni prior to my departure date. I understand they do not want to overwhelm students with a massive amount of information all at once, but I felt like I was constantly emailing a CIS representative in order to get more information. It would be better to send out the information packets sooner.

I always felt safe on campus, and you just have to be smart in London. Don't go to sketchy areas at night (Camden) and always travel with friends. Keep in mind the tube shuts down at midnight.

Social Life:
I'm not a big partier or drinker, so I didn't make friends with my flatmates. I did however befriend some great people from the volleyball team and from my courses. There are so many societies on campus, join one and you're bound to make some friends. You have to put yourself out there a bit if you want to meet people.

London is a great place to study abroad and the University of Roehampton is a wonderful school!

I have had the best time meeting new people and learning about English culture in my time at the University of Roehampton. The school and its study abroad office are extremely organized. I love the independence I gained from this experience. Living outside the city center was perfect for those days when you need a break or are feeling a little homesick. There is always so much to do and the Roehampton Social Program made it so easy! I wish that CIS had been more clear in the planning process before I left. Much of the information about visas and such was unclear. I also found the advertisement about the 'excursions around England' through CIS to be a little misleading because the excursions were mainly around London and not equal to the ones that they have planned in past semesters. These were small things that I was able to overcome and try did not have a huge affect on my experience. I think that CIS is great for students studying abroad on a budget, but some details should be reviewed.

Awe-Inspiring

The city is an amazing place to be. It's awe-inspiring nature leaves it a spectacle to behold.

Absolutely incredible experience.

My journey abroad with CIS has been absolutely incredible and life changing. I was able to explore a new country, continent, and most important, explore who I wanted to be as an individual. The people were friendly and welcoming, making the departure so difficult to fathom. This opportunity has lead me to begin my plans for a permanent move to London. I was so satisfied with every aspect, even though it had its ups and downs-- it only made me grow more as a person!

College in the Outskirts of London

Roehampton University is located farther away from central London then I originally thought, but after attending I think I preferred this to living right in the city. The University courses seemed easier than the ones at my home university, and course work load was definitely much lighter. Roehampton University has a beautiful campus with lots of activities to keep you occupied, and everything London has to offer is just a train ride away!

Study abroad could have been better

You sign up witht his program and get lied to! I was promised excursions and there were basically none offered. I was shipped off campus on my university which costs the students less money than being on campus yet I am paying the same amount as other international students that got put on campus. Horrible experience!

I was put off campus a part from all of the other international students and it was hard to adjust because I was far from campus and never really felt like I was in a community. I was with third years that never bothered to even talk to anyone. I was in a quiet building and it was harder to make friends. I was dropped there the first day with o directions and did not even know how to get back to campus or where anything was. I ahd a horrible experience!

Dorm rooms around me were getting broken into easily and the campus police barely investigated it.

Social Life:
Nobody in my dorm bothered to talk to one another. Everyone was gone most of the time.

I think I did it wrong.

I think I made the mistake of setting my expectations much too high when I considered studying in London. I thought I would look out my window and see Big Ben, and the bustling streets of Covent Garden or Piccadilly Circus. It was not nearly what I thought it was going to be. I needed a lot of time to adjust my mindset and once I did, I was alright and was able to enjoy most of my time here. Some of the excursions through CIS were alright, but none of them blew my mind. I wish I had taken the time to look into the school I was staying at because I really feel like that might have improved my experience overall.

I wasn't able to take classes that fit my major. I almost didn't receive credit for one of them because I signed up at the last minute and didn't realize it was similar to a class I had taken at home. The one psychology class I did take was informative, but the other two were completely irrelevant to what I wanted to be learning. Because we weren't part of a department, we didn't have tutors, so I was unsure who to go to if I was confused about a certain assignment. The professors were helpful, but I felt bad because that's what the tutors are for.

I liked my living situation and the fact that I had my own bathroom. However, I was told at the beginning that we would be provided with cooking supplies, and while we were offered a ÂŁ10 "kitchen pack", I wasn't aware of that until I arrived on campus, and by then I realized I could purchase the same things at Asda for cheaper. The bedding provided wasn't ideal either, but at least it was free. I was also upset that our first day on campus, we were dropped off at our dorm and left to fend for ourselves until the next day back on main campus.

Some of our excursions were actually lovely. I really enjoyed the trip to Cambridge, as well as the market trips. However, some of the walking tours left much to be desired, and I was disappointed that we didn't get to visit places like Bath and Stonehenge because those were offered by a much more expensive program through the university that I could not afford. Had I known about the program prior to my departure, I might've prepared better, but that was another thing I found out about at the last minute.

I really appreciated the help of the Site Director while I was here and literally could not have done this without her. However, it was a bit confusing when we found out a member of the administration was no longer working for them and after he left, communication seemed sort of minimal. I liked that we received occasional emails towards the beginning when we were still adjusting because I'm the kind of person who needs to know who I can turn to in a time of need, but as people started to fizzle out of the program, the emails became less and less frequent.

Thankfully, the campus is gated, but when I found out I was staying in the sketchiest area in Roehampton, as an international student, I was terrified. I was specifically told not to walk on the street outside my flat alone at night. Obviously I had no intentions of doing so anyway, but it's where I live, so if I needed something from the shop or something, what was I supposed to do? I also really didn't appreciate that during our first week here before everyone else returned, we had no idea who or how to contact anyone if we needed anything. We were literally left on our own except for orientation and the activities at the beginning.

Social Life:
People drink A LOT here. Every time they go out, they drink. Even if they're going out drinking, they drink first. The university put on cool activities every week, but everyone was always drinking, so it was tough to find things to do that didn't include drinking and partying. CIS was nice in that aspect because I got to meet people who were up for different things but besides the excursions and stuff, I never really saw them. We didn't actually do much as a group, especially the people who chose not to go on the trips. I honestly couldn't even tell you who was a part of CIS.

CIS London Weren't Involved

CIS London - Weren't involved. Didn't go on trips. I didn't get to know the people. Taught you to be independent.