Study abroad students Study abroad students

CEA Study Abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France

The best time of my life

To start, I loved Nancy and Vivienne! They could not have been better at helping us and always making sure we were okay. I love Aix-en-Provence. If I could go back tomorrow, I would. I love the people, the culture, the warmth. Everything about my experience was what I expected and more from a study abroad program. The academics are good. I love Aix-Marseille. The professors were all enthusiastic and although their teaching methods are different from those of the U.S., that's what study abroad is for, to learn new methods and way of life. All in all, I loveddddddddd Aix and CEA. Loved it so much I'm hoping to go back to Aix-Marseille for Grad school! <3

Amazing Experience!

I did not think my study abroad experience would be better than the daydreams I had before I left, until I was abroad with CEA. Aix-en-Provence was amazing and magical place, but what really made me fall in love was the staff at CEA. They were the best people to have by my side while learning a new culture. From the flower markets to the parks, Aix is by far my favorite place in the world. I would never have thought there would have been people as caring and wonderful as Viv and Nancy. They are truly incredible people, and I am lucky to have had them by my side. Aix has everything at your fingertips from small boutiques to fantastic hikes. I would never trade my experience in Aix or with CEA for anything in the world.

Amazing!

Aix with CEA was so amazing... It was the perfect place to study abroad. Not a city, but a perfectly walkable and beautiful place. Cafes line the streets and people are so friendly. There are young people everywhere since it is a university town. I stayed with a host family which was great. So good for so many reasons--food, French, cozy home. CEA made it so much better too. If I could rate the staff 10+++ I would. They are like your second moms while you're in France. If you have the chance go with CEA to Aix... You won't regret it. When you come back to the US you'll be dreaming of it every day I can promise that! Go go go

Aix-ellent time

I was abroad in the Spring of 2015 and loved my time there so much! I wish I went for a whole year! The best part of this program specifically it really builds comradery between the other students in the same program and yourself. I've truly found friends for life! The living situation was ideal, woke up every morning, opened the window, and took in the fresh Provençal air. The weather and climate were ideal! Compared to the Northeast it was paradise with temperatures never dropping below freezing so it meant no snow! Plus there was hardly any rain so the sun was shining and it was warm almost every day. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who wants to go abroad, even if you don't know any French!

The greatest experience of my life

I had the best experience with CEA Aix-en-Provence. Vivienne and Nancy are knowledgable, fun, and welcoming. The town is beautiful, and I fell in love. Furthermore, the classes I took at Aix-Marseille University were wonderful. I learned a ton and would recommend this program to anyone.

My Semester in Aix

Being back in the US now for about two and a half months, I couldn't miss Aix more! I had the time of my life studying abroad in France. Between the friends I made, the food I ate, or the places I traveled I couldn't pick one thing as my favorite aspect. But it truly is a life changing experience and you couldn't find a better home away from home than Aix or CEA. The program directors, Vivienne and Nancy, were beyond helpful and served almost as surrogate parents for my time away from home. And Aix is the perfect place to get a small town vibe with the business of a major city. I could go on and on about how much I loved my semester abroad but the best thing I could say is go and make your own amazing memories! You won't regret it.

I could not have chosen a better city than Aix!

Aix is an adorable little city nestled in the heart of Provence. There are always new streets and little stores to explore (and AMAZING places to eat at, too!). Vivienne and Nancy were so kind and truly care about all of the students, and they will always do what they can to help you! There were some great excursions for nearly every weekend of the program, so it was great to see other parts of France.
One of the best parts about Aix would definitely have to be the markets that flood the streets on different days each week, when one can find almost anything - from antique maps and posters to hand crafted pottery and jewelry. I would recommend studying abroad in Aix to anybody who asks me!

Experience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad will undoubtedly change your life, and France is the place to do it! Choosing France and specifically Aix was the best choice for cultural immersion and practicing French. I loved going for the fall semester especially because our group was a little smaller than the spring, so I got so much closer with my program buddies. From weekend trips to Rome to staying in Aix for the weekend and having a meal on the Cours Mirabeau, it was easily the best 17 weeks of my life. I wish I could go back and do it all again!

10/10 Would Recommend

My summer studying abroad in Aix-en-Provence was by far one of the best experiences I have had in my four years at college. The staff at CEA is incredible and the experiences they set up made the trip very immersive and engaging with the culture. Vivienne and Nancy are very personable and really care about the students in the program. Right away when we arrived, they had activities planned to immerse us in the French culture, get to know the others in our program, and get to know Aix. With so much to do, there was no time to feel homesick. Vivienne and Nancy also planned many excursions for us to go on to explore more of southern France, such as Pont du Gard, Avignon, Cassis, St. Tropez, La Ciotat, Nimes, and Monaco. They also planned many activities throughout the city of Aix and provided us a plethora of resources to set up excursions and activities on our own. The University is also amazing and has some of the best professors I have ever had, in any subject. They are very knowledgeable and experienced working with foreign students, so they are able to explain concepts and vocabulary and interact with students from all backgrounds to help them succeed. If I could, I would study abroad with this program for every semester, my experience was that amazing. In addition to traveling, we went to a wine tasting, a cheese tasting, hiked the Mont Sainte Victoire, practiced our impressionistic painting where Cezanne lived, toured an absinthe factory, rode horses through the mountains, and experienced so much more than I can put into words. If you are looking to have the time of your life, you should definitely choose to study abroad with CEA in Aix-en-Provence.

Culturally, academically, historically enriching and just plain enjoyment!

Spending 5 summer weeks in Aix changed my perspective on life and world travel. The beautiful, ancient buildings of this small, quaint, but modern, small city were a joy to take in and experience. The open air fruit and vegetable markets were great for shopping, not to mention vibrant and fun to explore. The ancient cathedrals and many museums and art and music venues all within walking distance from my student apartment. The excursions on the weekends with the eccentric, "George", exploring the beautiful sights of Provence, I will never forget. And swimming in the neon blue Mediterranean Sea for the first time was a religious experience! I highly recommend Aix if you want to experience and learn more about French culture, cuisine, art, nature, people, cafes and ancient architecture. Don't forget to bring your brightest smile ~ Bon Voyage!!

The South of France is always a good idea

I absolutely loved my time in Aix. I can't express how much I appreciated the smallness of the town and program. It allowed me to have a great group of 25 or so people to get together with and always had a buddy to travel with! It's so easy to navigate and travel from. Going out at night is easy because of the cheap wine and only 10-15 minute walk to and from bar street from where I lived. I recommend here over Paris for a good cultural immersion and wonderful sunny weather! I miss the fresh produce from the farmers markets every morning and the always helpful advisors! GO TO AIX!!

The Best Five Months of My Life

I studied in this charming city during the Spring semester of 2015. Not only did CEA do a wonderful job at placing me with an INCREDIBLE home-stay family who bettered my French and made me delicious meals everyday, but they also brought us on some amazing trips around the south of France. From an all payed weekend trip to Nice and Monaco to horseback riding on the beach, this program satisfied every hope I had for my semester abroad. Aix is also adorned with so many beautiful restaurants and boutiques and has a great atmosphere for students. I plan on returning this year on vacation so I can reminisce on the memories I made there as well as make new ones. It is certainly a place you will want to return to after your study abroad is over.

I loved studying abroad on Aix!

Studying abroad in Aix was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was a program of almost 4 months that I did in the fall of 2014. Studying with CEA was a perfect choice because they pay so much attention to each student and help out so much. Everything except for my flight and daily spending money was included so I didn't really have to worry about anything. The program director in France was always there for us and interacted with us so much and my homestay family was great. If I ever needed help from someone back in the states, I always had a contact. Ultimately, my experience was amazing and I would go again in a heartbeat!

Come to Aix!

I had a great experience here. The Aix CEA staff are the nicest and most welcoming people. They really care about you. IAU is a good university, the staff is caring but make sure you are on top of your work, if not you can get behind really fast. We did may things with CEA from tasting frog legs, to traveling to an Absinthe Factory to learn about how it is made and the history. We had wine tastings and they even had a Thanksgiving dinner for us, which was beyond fun. If you are looking for a study abroad choose Aix en Provence! You will have a great experience and learn more about yourself then thought possible.

Thankful

I initially had some problems studying abroad; I am a first semester senior and needed certain classes this semester so I could graduate on time. I ended up having to switch my program from the French Riviera to Aix-en-Provence but I am beyond happy that I did.
CEA was beyond accomodating throughout the whole process and helpful in any stressful situation that I was faced with (and planning for studying abroad really is stressful!)
While abroad I met amazing people, lived with the best roommates in the best apartment, and did so many fun activities through our program. I was able to grow as an individual and grow to love France even more than I already had.
I think it is so important to be a part of a program when you study abroad because arriving to an entirely new environment where everybody speaks another language is scary. But I never felt alone and I am so thankful for CEA's part in my entire experience.
I will never forget the time I had here, I accomplished so many of my goals and had a wonderful time doing so.
Thank you CEA!!

Insurmountable

I was skeptical at first, with just how easy it was to study abroad with a company I had never heard of before; even while in France, I was checking in with my home institution to make sure everything was working out ok! But everything worked out more than okay. I fell deeply in love and submersed in a new culture and I can wholeheartedly blame this on CEA and it's amazing staff. Everything they do-they do for you! Even after much speculation, there is no way I'd ever consider regretting/changing/or lamenting about CEA. From start to finish, it was a PERFECT dream come true! And I am thankful everyday for what they have done for me.

How Aix changed my life

It wouldn't be enough to say how participating in this program was the best decision of my life. Basically, I came and never left. I'm still here. I still help out with CEA and I love every minute and every aspect of this town. What made, and still makes, the program so great is definitely its program director. She introduced us to an Aix that I doubt I would've known without her. Everyone has this stereotypical image of studying abroad in Paris but they fail to realize that a true French experience is waiting for them in Aix. It's the perfect provincial town to live in. It's young, evolving, and as the French say, ça bouge bien. There are things to do, it has beautiful weather all year long, and everything worth seeing is easily accessible. Paris and the rest of Europe is a train or cheap plane ride away. I can honestly say it changed my life. I don't see myself anywhere else but here.

Best Month Ever!

I went for the month of June in the summer of 2012, and had a wonderful time! All of the people were amazing, and CEA did a really nice job giving you things to do and making you familiar with the city.

Aix 2006/7

My personal experience was amazing. The staff were above and beyond helpful, generous with their time and kindness. I felt right at home almost as soon as I stepped off the plane. I made friends with people that I know I'll keep for the rest of my life. The city is culturally diverse and lends itself to a small town feel though it is, last I checked, France's fifth largest. There were plenty of opportunities for travel outside of the group, but I especially enjoyed our arranged trips for the added bonus of an insider's look at the local livelihood. If you're looking for an experience for the senses, this is it!!

Amazing

CEA was the best possible program I could have studied with. They made the experience easy, exciting and you really get the most for your dollar with them.

They do a personality type test to house you with peopole you are most likely to get along with and/or live well with. It was very successful.

Wonderful Experience

I had a wonderful study abroad experience with CEA Aix-en-Provence.

Program Administration: The program administrators, Vivienne Hamill and Sarah Leydet (and occasionally Vainess) are brilliant. From the moment we arrived, the CEA team helped the other students and me to adjust to living abroad, and they were always available to us when needed.

Cultural Immersion: Vivienne and Sarah were instrumental in making the transition into life in a foreign country and getting the most out of my time in France. They even helped me find a volunteer opportunity at a bilingual day care center in town. I spent Wednesday mornings there working with children, organizing educational bilingual activities in both English and French.

There were several excursions included in the price of the program, and they were all well-organized, interesting, and fun. In addition, there were unique cultural opportunities on offer every week, from plays to wine tasting.

Housing: I chose the homestay option, and unfortunately, my placement was not ideal. However, I could not give a very poor rating because problems did not arise until midway through the program and I did not ask to be relocated. Other students who experienced issues with their homestay placement and spoke to CEA were quickly relocated, and I know plenty of students who genuinely enjoyed their homestays. All students who chose the apartment option had clean, centrally located apartments.

Academics: I met other American students in Aix who were studying at the Institute for American Universities, right next to my school. Their classes were taught in English, and their classmates were American students. I much preferred my university: The Université Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille III is for non-native French speakers. Classes are taught in French, and my classmates were American, but also German, British, Jamaican, and Norweigan.

The classes were long but interesting; I loved the complete language immersion as an aspect of this particular program. The professors were intelligent. The homework was manageable. The grading scale is quite different in France, but by French standards my grades were very good, and my credits transferred back to my home institution with little difficulty.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this study abroad provider and program.

Thank you, CEA!

Fall semester in Aix

I had a wonderful semester. Though, of course, there are ups and downs of every abroad experience, I had far more ups than downs and the CEA staff went above and beyond to make the experience the best it could be. Aix is a beautiful town with so much to offer and they helped us get the most out of our time in Aix, around France and even throughout Europe. Would recommend 10/10!

A wonderful city and a wonderful program

CEA is an absolutely wonderful organization that helped make the transition into studying abroad so much easier and comfortable. Vivienne, Nancy, and the rest of the CEA team are incredibly knowledgeable about Aix and France in general. They sincerely care about the students in the program and go above and beyond to help them with school matters or any road bumps that may come along the way. If you are having any reservations about the program or studying abroad, relax. CEA is here to give you a wonderful experience you'll never forget.

Great Program, Best Semester Ever!!!

My semester abroad in Aix en Provence with CEA was wonderful. Vivienne, the program director is so helpful, and made the semester so much fun. I made some of the best friends of my life and best memories. Aix is a cute little French town, situated perfectly. I'd recommend!

Great Way to Study Abroad!

I can't imagine studying abroad without CEA. Everyone from start to finish was helpful and friendly. Vivienne and Sandra are great, they take time to make sure that everyone is doing well and are always willing to help out with a problem. I don't think that you could get a better experience! I always felt very comfortable and reassured knowing that CEA was here to help me. I would recommend this program to anyone and think that they provide a truly unique experience that is richer than just attending a university. Many thanks CEA!