Broadreach Header Image Broadreach Header Image

Broadreach Summer Adventures for Students

Best Decision I've Ever Made

Broadreach was no doubt the best decision I've ever made. The islands were the most beautiful places I've ever been but I miss my broadreach family even more. The instructors will soon became family and the weird strangers I was wary of at first became very close siblings. Will never forget the people, places, and will never forget Broadreach.

Costa Rica veterinary medicine - college summer 2016

Deciding to participate in the Veterinary Medicine program through Broadreach was undoubtedly one of the best decisions of my life! From gaining valuable college credits while learning about applicable veterinary topics to actually getting hands-on experience with an incredible variety of animals, there were so many opportunities that I never would have been lucky enough to experience without this Broadreach program. Everyday was a new adventure filled with memories that I will never forget, and I got to share all of these memories with a small group of amazing people that shared my passion for helping animals. Between the moments spent interacting up-close and personal with wild animals, learning from the most inspirational advisors and classmates I have ever met, adventuring though the jungles of Costa Rica, and tasting the most delicious pineapple and coffee that I still miss everyday, I would not trade this experience for the world.

Ecuador and Galápagos Biodiversity (ENS21) 2016

I cannot adequately describe what an incredible experience Broadreach's Ecuador and Galápagos Biodiversity program was; it exceeded my expectations in every way. As someone who had never done much traveling outside of the US, I thought Broadreach did an incredible job of immersing students in the rich culture, but also balancing that with academics and fun.
The academic experience was amazing. The program was catered exactly to student's interests, but even if students did not have a passionate interest in biodiversity and conservative, I believe the program would still be interesting and very practical knowledge to have. Though we did formal academic lessons and tests, we had the priceless ability to apply our knowledge outside of the classroom each and every day. I remember one lesson learning about how the Andes mountains were formed, and then stepping out on an excursion with the group later that day in Alto Coca to see a waterfall formed as a byproduct of the subduction we had just discussed. Additionally, we were able to conduct our own research on the Galápagos in an area of our own interests. In believe this is an amazing way to engage students, and allows them to develop their own interest which can be extremely useful in picking a path to follow into college- and I speak from experience!
As great as the academics were, the rest of the program was equally as incredible. I never felt unsafe on the program, yet we had so much freedom that if made the program feel less like a "summer camp" and more like a group of friends traveling together. Our instructors were amazing, and added to the group dynamic so well; they felt like fellow members of our class rather than our guardians, and they were by far some of the best friends we all made over the course of the trip.
Each location we stayed at along the way was so unique and incredible. I was pleasantly surprised at the efforts Broadreach made to stay off the beaten path in order to avoid being too touristy. We practiced being travelers instead, making decisions that were not only good for the people of Ecuador, but also the environment. To further benefit our travel experience, Broadreach made the effort to have us stay in amazing research facilities that worked alongside universities such as Universidad San Francisco de Quito and UNC Chapel Hill which gave students the experience of working in a somewhat university like setting, but in a less intensive manner. I went into Broadreach not knowing what I wanted to pursue after High School, but the amazing instruction I got and the passionate people we met along the way made my path clear, and helped me pick a college major and allowed me to determine what I believed were the most important factors of college education were.
Finally, the people I traveled with made the trip the best it could possibly be. Of the eight of us on the trip, 3 lived in big cities, 3 in suburbs, and 2 in the country. Of those eight, 5 lived in the USA, and 3 were from other countries. Nevertheless, our group came together and crossed cultural and social barriers to become what can only be classified as a family. I still keep in contact with every member of my Broadreach trip, as well as some of the other people we met along the way. Undoubtedly, they are some of my closest friends and my life would be incomplete without them.
Overall, I would highly recommend Broadreach's Ecuador and Galápagos Biodiversity program, or any of Broadreach's programs. Though it may sound cliché, their programs are life changing, and I could not speak more highly of my experiences.

12 Day Caribbean Marine Biology Voyage

I went on the 12-Day Carribean Marine Biology Voyage program. Spending those 12 days, sailing, scuba diving, hiking, learning, exploring towns, and of course all of the moments laughing till our ribs ache will forever make me feel at home. By the end of those 12 days, those once strangers who you knew nothing about, soon become life-long friends. These magical moments were what I dreamed of, accomplishing amazing things that some people in life will never experience. It changed your outlook on life and brings you to realize, this world we live on is ginormous and it is all yours to discover it as well as make a lasting impact of it for the better. You spend your days awaken by the sunrise and start the tasks for the day and end it by falling asleep laughing and talking to your friends underneath the absolutely incredible like no other galaxy of stars above you. There isn't a "typical" day because every day is extraordinary and that is what makes it so special. Some days you will do more diving than other days, some days will be more relaxed, some days you hike more, and some days you experience the culture. During these 12 days we started our journey in St. Martin, next to Ile Foruche (which the only inhabitants there are goats!! So cool!) , next around the is St. Bart's (one of my personal favorites), then to Saba, and finally our last destination was Tintamarre before beading back to St. Martin. Daily I still rave about my amazing adventures to everyone while still in awe that as a teenager knowing I helped made a difference and accomplished dreams of mine. I still close my eyes at night and picture things only I and my now life-log friends have saw and knowing our bond and experiences of the world, are forever bonded by the immacuable animals, activities, people, and places; all because of Broadreach. A Broadreach trip will forever impact your life for the better! I cannot wait to attend more programs in the future summers.

Costa Rica Field Biology 12-Day Adventure

I highly recommend this trip, it was the best experience of my life. This was the first time I had flown alone and out of the country and Broadreach did a great job making me feel prepared and at home. One of my favorite places on this trip was Camponario, we got to go out on a boat and see the marine life, go hiking, and watch the sunset and stars at night. We also went rappelling at Baru Farms which was amazing. I learned a lot of new things about the wildlife and culture of Costa Rica and getting to talk to the people who lived there was very interesting. The most important thing that I learned was to go outside of your boundaries. If I had not done that I know I would have missed out on a lot. This was very memorable for me, the people, the culture, the adventure, and of course, the food. You will make a lot of new friends who you will talk to very often even after the trip. The instructors that are with you are great people and do a good job of balancing having fun while still learning a lot. I can honestly say that if you decide to go on this trip, you will not regret it.

Broadreach Costa Rica Immersion

Broadreach is one of those trips that truly changes your life. When I signed up for Broadreach I didn't know what i would be getting myself into. It looked crazy fun so perfect for me!! One of my favorite parts about Broadreach was the people. The instructors become your mentors and your friends, and your peers become your friends for life. I still keep in touch with one of the girls on the trip and we are planning another trip with Broadreach this summer. I loved it so much I am dying to go back. Broadreach was such an amazing opportunity that i think everyone should experience. Broadreach has something for everyone and was so much fun and I would definitely recommend this trip.

Costa Rica Field Biology 12-Day Adventure-

This breathtaking trip to Costa Rica was my first Broadreach experience and I enjoyed every second of my stay. From the moment I stepped foot outside the San Jose airport, to getting back on the boat in Drake Bay, it was so hard to say goodbye to what felt like a second home to me. As devastating as it was to leave all of my newly established best friends, a quote from a “leader of the day” occurred in my mind, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” On this spectacular trip I was able to face new fears I had never imagined, discover and try new things, meet new and amazing people, and put my love of field and marine biology to use. As nervous as I was at first, going waterfall rappelling at Baru Falls was one of the greatest experiences in my life! Not to mention Steve and Rae who were the most amazing mentors you could ever imagine. Nothing compares to all the outstanding activities, both great and small that transpire during this trip and I highly recommend this to all!

Bali Advanced Scuba

For my most recent Broadreach trip I went to Bali and Lombok. To say this trip was just a Scuba diving trip is the understatement of the century, and it does not come even close to describing what the whole trip was like. The lifestyle you live when you go on a broadreach trip is one that is completely different than the one you live at home, and this trip was no exception. Whether it be waking up in a hammock on a boat or hiking 8000 meters up to the crater of a volcano, this adventure never failed to make things interesting and fun. The leaders on our trip, Josh and Sally, we're both very knowledgable and awesome to be around, and really helped solidify our group. The group itself also was amazing and I met so many great people who I will stay friends with for a long time. Overall this trip was an amazing experience and one I definitely would recommend to anyone considering going on one!

31 Day Caribbean Sailing Trip

This was my first Broadreach trip and I must say, the trip was fascinating. We went to many different islands, all of us helping to sail. We hiked and explored the islands we went to, sometimes helping the communities there. The people who went on the trip with me were all very welcoming and we became good friends.

• The Adventure

A experience of a life time

This trip is an amazing one and I have been recommending it to all of my friends next year I plan on going on the Gigi shark studies program now that I have my advanced open water diver under my belt with my training from this program, the worst part is leaving. You WILL cry, there's no getting around it, you gain such a bond with all of the people on your trip that they will become your second family. The instructors always have your best interests at heart aswell making the trip jut ten times better then before. You are also thrown into a culture with new people who always have a smile on their face

Scuba, Scuba, Scuba

I am a sophomore in High school and have been on two Broadreach trips, which for both I could argue that it was the best weeks of my life. My first trip was the Caribbean Underwater Discoveries trip, it was all about scuba diving and sailing, neither of which I had ever done before ,so signing up for it was scary because I was really stepping outside of my comfort zone. The moment I met the people I would be spending the next three weeks with in the airport I knew that these coming days were going to be unforgettable. Everybody was so welcoming and by the time we got to St. Martin I had already made so many new friends and none of us could wait to see what the next 3 weeks had in store for us. The instructors on Broadreach are amazing, the instructors on my most recent trip, to Bonaire were honestly the most influential people I have ever met. They truly care about the well being of each student and they are the reason that my Broadreach experiences were life changing. The food and accommodations on both of my trips were beyond what I had expected. The reason I go on Broadreach trips is because I am very passionate about Scuba diving which Broadreach makes an amazing experience as well. On my first trip all we had to do was jump off of our boat and we were on some of the best dive sites in the Caribbean with very talented instructors that we all loved. On my trip to Bonaire, which was a scuba intense program all we had to do was walk off the back porch of our house and we were on one of the best dive sites in Bonaire, which is also where we completed our rescue diver course. The dive shops that Broadreach associates are very welcoming and I could definitely see myself going back there one day and working. I can not say enough good things about Broadreach and I will be doing these programs as long as I can. I have recommended them to all of my friends and my sister is going on one this summer. This coming summer I am signed up to go on the advanced scuba trip to Bali and I could not be more excited!

Amazing Trip!

Going to St. Martins was my first Broadreach trip and I absolutely loved it! It was so inspiring and educational. The instructors were amazing, the area and waters were stunning. The activities including SCUBA diving and hiking were phenomenal. The trip was perfect. I can't wait for my next adventure with Broadreach!

Caribbean Underwater Discoveries

The Caribbean Underwater Discoveries program exceeded any previous expectations I had of the program or the trip. The morning I left for St. Martin I was extremely nervous and excited for the following weeks to come, and the morning I had to leave to return home I felt the complete opposite. First off, living on a boat with 12-15 other people is an experience in itself. I can truthfully say that the people you meet become lifelong friends that you share an amazing experience with. Meeting people from all over the country, and the world, is one of the best parts of the trip. Everybody's different diving experience, academic history, and interests create a diverse setting that is unlike any other. The instructors are fun and passionate about sailing, diving, and making sure everyone is comfortable and having fun. Taking your first breath underwater is a surreal experience. The dives, and your diving skills and techniques, only get better as the trip goes on. The instructors teach you everything you need to know to be a safe and experienced diver. I went on anywhere from 1-4 dives a day and saw the some of the most beautiful coral reefs and sea creatures. Of course I spent the majority of dives searching for sea turtles, I saw my first one on a night dive and saw numerous others later on. The marine life is incredible in the Caribbean, I saw everything from nudibranches and cowfish to sharks and stingrays. After becoming and open water diver and advanced open water diver, you can earn specialities (Peak performance buoyancy, underwater naturalist, night diver etc.). You also have the opportunity to learn how to sail, use the radio, and navigate a boat. Leaving the program with so many different credentials to use in the future is very exciting and can allow you to carry on diving after Broadreach (or go back and get more certifications!). I would not trade my Broadreach experience for anything in the world, and I highly recommend the Caribbean Underwater Discoveries program to anyone who wants a little bit of everything in their program.

Fiji Advanced Scuba

I went to Fiji which, as everyone knows, is THE dream vacation destination. Although the journey there was long and tiring it was well worth it. I met some amazing people, both other Broadreach students and people who lived there. The instructors were amazing and we had an amazing time. We were on one island each week, totaling 3 islands all together. The first island was Kadavu, when we woke up for our first dive day we were greeted with a wonderful breakfast. After descending, the only thing I could think about was how all the diving I had done previously couldn't even compare to what I was experiencing in that moment. After our first week of diving we spent two nights in a village on another part of Kadavu, which was an amazing experience. The culture is so different from anything else I've seen that it was a bit of a shock but quite entertaining. When we arrived at the second island I could only think about how much better the diving on the rainbow reef was than the diving in Kadavu. There is nothing that I disliked about this trip, I would do it again exactly the same as I did in a heart beat. If you can afford it, this is the trip you want to do.

When 13 strangers become a family

It is amazing that 13 strangers who are all 15/16 years old from all around the globe can live together on a boat and become a family like no other. It was an extraordinary trip that I absolutely loved and wish that I could go back and re-live it. I saw sea creatures that I never knew existed and we were exposed to the true culture of the Caribbean Islands. I saw and learned more than most people will ever do in a life time.

Costa Rica Veterinary Experience

This summer I was able to participate in my second Broadreach trip to Costa Rica. This program was absolutely incredible and allowed me to gain invaluable experience in the field! It also gave me confidence in my dream to become a veterinarian and redoubled my passion for animals. This program is not only for people who definitely want to become veterinarians, but for anyone who loves animals and is interested in what veterinarians do! After participating in two Broadreach programs, in Costa Rica and South Africa, I can confidently say that Broadreach trips are an incredible opportunity to learn about yourself and the world around you! Both trips were extremely informative, interesting, engaging, and most of all fun! If you are interested in doing a program abroad Broadreach is an awesome choice!

Phenomenal

Truly the experience of a lifetime. I met my best friends on a boat and it was the best twelve days of my life. You can not ask for a better time. For all considering Marine Bio as a hobby or future profession, I strongly encourage you to sign up now. Oh and it's in the Caribbean!!!

Costa Rica & Nicaraguan Spanish Immersion Adventure

The Costa Rica & Nicaraguan Spanish Immersion trip was by far the best trip I have ever taken. From living in the close-knit community of the beautiful pueblo of Orosi to white water rafting down the stunning Pacuare River to walking through the coffee plantation in Nicaragua, this trip changed my life. I had never been on a trip before this that impacted me so much. Although I was nervous to go on this trip, right when my plane landed in Costa Rica I was greeted by two welcoming instructors and I knew this would be an amazing trip. I made friendships that will last a lifetime and I learned so much about the world that I otherwise would have never experienced.

What I liked about this trip was the community service we were involved in. We played with kids, taught them English, and read to them. We also built stoves, made cement floors, and built hydroponics, waterbeds for growing plants. Through all of the community service we got to see the physical impact we had on people's lives. This experience was truly life changing. The home stay in Orosi also had a huge impact on my life as I became an integral part of their family. I now have two brothers, a mom, a dad, and an entire extended family that I will never forget.

In addition to the home stay and the community service, the beach in Nicaragua was the best. We stayed within walking distance and got to see the sun set every night. It was breathtaking. We also got to go surfing. Even though I had never surfed before and I fell many times, it was still so much fun. The Costa Rica and Nicaraguan Spanish Immersion trip open my eyes to the world around me, expose me to different cultures, and gave me the best summer of my life! The only thing I regret is that I couldn't spend more time with the 13 other people who have become my Broadreach family.

Belize Wilderness Medicine

My trip to Belize was one of the best trips I have ever been on. The program really did a good job of incorporating learning and fun. In the first couple of days we toured around Belize. The place we stayed was very clean with really good food. After touring around Belize, we then started the Wilderness First Responding course. The teacher was helpful and knowledgeable. I learned so much from the course. The course was defiantly very challenging but very rewarding. Even though we did all the scenarios with fake blood, it still gave you a feel for what it would be like in real life. The worst part of the whole trip was when we all had to get on our separate planes and leave. I formed such great relationships with everyone on the trip. It was so much fun and I would suggest it to anyone! Except if you don't like blood, then it might not be your favorite.

Costa Rica Veterinary Experience

I had an incredible time in Costa Rica. I gained an immense knowledge of veterinary medicine, and came home from my trip with a newfound sense of confidence in myself. One aspect of the trip that I absolutely loved was the amount of hands-on experience we had. Every day, we would have lectures in the rainforest, and then put our knowledge to the test in the field. We did physical examinations on sea turtles in the wild, de-wormed cattle on numerous farms, studied primate behavior at wildlife rescue and rehabilitation facilities, and even got to be in the surgery suite with local veterinarians.

Another part of the trip I loved was being immersed in Costa Rican culture, even without a Spanish component of the trip. At one place we stayed, a Costa Rican woman cooked our meals for us every day, and talked to us during dinner. One evening we had a dance class with a couple of local kids, and it was fantastic to connect with them, even though we only knew bits and pieces of each other's language. Another element of culture in Costa Rica that we experienced was the ecotourism. We participated in several adventure activities in nature, and they were incredible. We white water rafted on the Sarapiqui river, went rappelling, went zip lining in the rainforest, and went to Ecotermales, a hot springs resort next to a volcano.

Overall, this trip is amazing. I would recommend it to any person who loves adventure, a spirited culture, biological and environmental sciences, and animals. I know I would not trade my experience for anything in the world. I have wanted to be a veterinarian for a long time, and this trip completely solidified this dream for me. Even if you haven't thought of being a veterinarian before, this trip is a great opportunity to learn about biology on a greater scale, with the interconnected workings of the environment and its inhabitants.

Costa Rica Veterinary Experience

My trip to Costa Rica was incredible. Not only did I learn a wealth of knowledge about veterinary medicine, but I also gained a newfound confidence in myself. Our trip was a great combination of academics, hands-on learning activities, and adventure activities. We experienced Costa Rica in such a unique way, with its human and non-human natives, and I would recommend this trip to anyone who loves science, animals, and adventure!

Broadening My Horizon

I don't even know how to begin describing my Broadreach program. It was one of the most memorable summers of my entire life. I participated in the Caribbean Underwater Discoveries 12-Day trip to the Caribbean and learned how to scuba dive and sail, along with 11 other students from around the nation. On the first night, I slept next to 11 teenagers I had never met before, and on the last night, I slept next to 11 of my best friends. Each day we spent together on the boat, I learned more and more about each one of my fellow participants. Not only did we push each other to take risks and strengthen each other's leadership, but we also cared and looked after one another. I was lucky enough to spend my 17th birthday in the middle of the Caribbean, surrounded by some of my closest friends. It has been over four months since my trip, and I still text people from my trip everyday.
Friendship was not the only benefit of Broadreach but also the important life lessons such as confidence, leadership, and responsibility. The instructors on the boat push you to try new experiences and expand your comfort zone, while providing you with the opportunities to grow your leadership. You are also responsible to cook and clean on the boat, both important life lessons in good hygiene. Broadreach programs teach you invaluable qualities that will help you throughout your entire life.
I will never forget my time spent on my Broadreach program, as well as the best friends I made along the way. I cannot express how grateful I am for participating in such a life changing program. Keep it up, Broadreach!

Ecuador Spanish Immersion and Service

This program was amazing! While in Ecuador for a whole month, I hiked the Inca trail for a week, lived with a family in a home stay, went to an indigenous weaving community, horse back rode at the base of Cotopaxi, hiked up to the glacier on Cotopaxi, painted and cleaned up a school for children with disabilities, made awesome friends, and most importantly, improved my spanish significantly. Through classroom instruction and communicating with locals, my spanish became so good I could just speak to anyone without thinking about it first. This trip was so fun and I always felt super safe no matter where we were or what we were doing. I would go back to Ecuador in a heartbeat and will never forget what an amazing time I had there.

Bonaire 12-Day Scuba

For such a short time, I learned more new and useful information than I did anywhere else. The group was stellar, the diving more amazing, and the instructors felt like family! We all bonded so well and so fast, it felt like we'd known each other for months. The dives were gorgeous, and the rescue course-- as challenging as it was-- was fun and rewarding!

I'd recommend it to anyone, but particularly those short on time or looking for a really scuba-intensive program. Absolutely amazing! :)

Bonaire Advanced Scuba 12-day Adventure

Before the trip, I assumed 12 days would be too short a time to get the full Broadreach experience. In actuality, it was one of, if not the most amazing trips I'd ever been on. I had never bonded with a group that fast, nor did I think that I'd be able to gain such a thorough understanding of my Rescue certification and all it entailed. The living space felt like home, and the instructors and my peers felt like family. Overall, it was an unforgettable adventure!

I'd recommend it to anyone, but particularly those short on time or who feel the need for a more scuba-intensive and fast-paced learning program. :)