Degree Program Scholarships
The cost of college degrees varies greatly between countries, but is always worth the investment. Who doesn’t want as much financial help as possible, though? Instead of just covering a semester or dorm room, why not just go for the big fish and try to catch a scholarship for your entire studies? That way, whether it’s in your hometown or abroad, you can worry less on working overtime at a minimum-wage job and focus more on academics and extracurricular fun.
Who Qualifies for International Scholarships?
Students, future or current, apply for all sorts of scholarships. That means that you, dear scholar, are a prime candidate. Whether you are a high school senior or current college student, there is a scholarship with your name on it; you just need to find it and claim it.
What Kind of Scholarships are out there?
Get to know the basic types of financial aid terms, then zone in on what is most relevant to you.
- Academic. Whether you’re an all-around Einstein or aced every single math test you ever took, show off your GPA and class ranking for some complimentary cash.
- Athletic. Got mad skills throwing a football or kicking a soccer ball? Get a scholarship to earn your degree and play sports for your host university.
- Demographic. Gender, religion, ethnicity…there’s a demographic filter for you; take advantage of it.
- Institution. If you are signing up to study abroad through an institution, inquire about scholarship options. Some academic organizations offer financial aid for their applicants.
- Country. Most countries have a website or organization that offers scholarships to students coming to study there. As an international student, you qualify for tuition, transportation, and accommodation financial aid. It’s worth the research.
- Need-Based. If you’re not a millionaire, you might qualify for a need-based scholarship. Gather up the parental units’ bank statements and start filing.
When can I Apply for a Scholarship?
Starting early with scholarship applications is key, especially when considering funding an entire degree. Begin researching and applying ahead of time, and keep at it!
Here are a few tips to keep you on the ball:
- Start Early. Begin the scholarship hunt at least a semester before your intended start date.
- Mark the Calendar. Put all of your deadlines on the calendar and set alerts on your phone.
- Aim to Finish Before the Deadline. Murphy's Law proves that you will always get sick and lose all internet connection the night before your scholarship is due. Outsmart it by aiming to get everything done well ahead of the deadline (like, a week!), so that nasty surprises won’t affect you.
- Keep Applying. Once your degree program starts, don’t stop applying!
Why Should I Apply for a Scholarship?
Who doesn’t want to minimize their tuition costs so that personal money savings can go toward supporting everyday life or a more prosperous future? There are a lot of different types of expenses involved in earning a degree, so why not take the opportunity to have some or all of them covered by a scholarship!?
Scholarships help with:
- Paying for tuition. Tuition usually covers classes, textbooks, and some supplies. In some cases, tuition costs might also include extracurricular activities or educational excursions.
- Finding affordable housing. Some institutions offer home stays or match you with roommates in a dorm or shared apartment. Certain scholarships specifically cover housing costs.
- Providing transportation. Though more difficult to find, some scholarships (especially those provided through programs) will pay for airplane tickets.
Deciding to earn a degree anywhere in the world is a great adventure that extends far outside of the classroom. Be sure to check scholarships often, keep applying, try various types of scholarship offers, and polish off all those motivational essays to get the most funding for your degree program. That way, when you check into your new home, you can focus on the adventure at hand, not your bank accounts.
Top Degree Program Scholarships
University of Newcastle Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme
The University Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme was established by the Vice-Chancellor in November 1997. The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial support for academically outstanding undergraduate students who completed their Higher School Certificate in the year prior to entering university in a school located within the area to which the University's Regional and Rural Preference Scheme applies. T...
The School of Management MBA Scholarships
The School of Management offers a number of scholarships to students from anywhere in the world to help with the funding of your tuition fees. Please note that where candidates are eligible for more than one scholarship they will be offered the one of highest value. MBA Scholarships Merit scholarships of up to £10,000 are available to support high calibre students for entry to the Full-time and Executive part-time MBA...
Birmingham Marshall Scholarship
Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to forty Scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at an UK institution in any field of study. As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments and their instituti...
Up to 15 Trudeau Scholarships are awarded each year to support doctoral candidates pursuing research of compelling present-day concern, touching upon one or more of the four themes of the Foundation. Trudeau Scholars are highly gifted individuals who are actively engaged in their fields and expected to become leading national and international figures.
Goa Education Trust Scholarships
The Dempo and the Fomento Group collaboratively formed the Goa education trust with the British Council in the year 2009 to provide Goan students with a platform to undertake postgraduate study in the UK in any field of academic study. Since its inception the scholarship provided an opportunity for Goans to obtain higher education degrees from top UK Universities in various disciplines including Journalism, Education, Ancie...
The Rachel Carson Scholarship
The United States Studies Centre offers the Rachel Carson Scholarship for local and international students enrolled in the US Studies postgraduate program at the University of Sydney. It is anticipated that the maximum scholarship will be 50% of tuition fees.
Atsumi International Scholarship Foundation (AISF) offers scholarship to Ph.D candidates enrolled in the graduate schools located in the Kanto area in Japan.
Obuchi Student Scholarship
Obuchi Student Scholarships provide funding for graduate study to participate in educational and research programs at the East-West Center while pursuing a Master's degree at the University of Hawai'i, or for study in the Asia Pacific Leadership Program (APLP).
The Eccles Scholarship designed to attract international students of high calibre to pursue graduate research at the John Curtin School of Medical Research. ANU funds and administers a range of scholarships for PhD, Professional Doctorate and Master by research study. The University also administers a number of scholarships funded by the Australian Government and other sources external to the University. The University's...
Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI)
The University of Adelaide offers a scholarships scheme for international students undertaking postgraduate research study. The selection for scholarships is extremely competitive. Recent successful applicants for the research awards have usually had a research Masters, or a coursework Masters with a substantial research component, outstanding academic performance at an internationally recognised university, and publication...
Macquarie University International Scholarship (MUIS)
Macquarie University's International Scholarship Program is aimed at attracting outstanding students from around the world and recognising students who have distinguished themselves academically in their specific discipline. The scholarship is highly competitive and is awarded on the basis of academic merit. Full and partial scholarships available each year for undergraduate students across all disciplines.
Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. The Scholarships are awarded to outstanding established or emerging leaders to pursue one-year Master’s degrees (although some awards are for tailor-made short courses) in any subject and at any of the UK’s leading universities. Chevening Scholarships operate in more tha...