Yahel Social Change Program in Israel: Grassroots Activism
Yahel - Israel Service Learning Header Image Yahel - Israel Service Learning Header Image

Yahel Social Change Program in Israel: Grassroots Activism

Yahel social change programme

I've had a fantastic experience on this programme. It's been an amazing opportunity to explore Israel and understand more of the complexities of this important place. The Staff of Yahel have been an incredible support, providing an amazing experience

Go on this program!

I am a current participant in the 2016-2017 9 month Yahel Social Change Program. It's been a really great experience thus far. The staff are very supportive and kind. I live in Lod, which is not always the safest neighborhoods, but Yahel have never put me in a compromising situation. We have weekly learning sessions with activists from all political leanings and our volunteering is tailored to our individual interests. The most special thing about Yahel is that it cultivates independent thought and pushes us to examine our own ideas. It's truly a unique experience and I feel like I've grown so much as an activist.

A great Post-University experience

I've been spending the last seven months doing Yahel, and it's been a total blast so far. I'm based in Rishon LeZion, and I spend my time teaching and tutoring kids English, meeting great people, and learning more about various communities in Israel (like the Ethiopian-Israelis).

Participant

As a participant on the Yahel Social Change Program I had a wonderful experience! The staff were always there for us when we needed them, but kept their distance and weren't constantly on top of us. I was in Lod which is a mixed city of Arab and Jewish populations and we had a beautiful apartment with a giant roof porch, washing machine, internet, and kitchen+kitchenette. The city is not the safest but Yahel always made me feel safe and never put me in a compromising position.
Volunteer placements were geared towards what each individual had preference for- be it nonprofit experience, youth and education, or women's empowerment just to name a few.
Overall would definitely recommend this program!