TESOL Course in Myanmar
Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image Teach Explore Asia (XploreAsia) Header Image

TESOL Course in Myanmar

Volunteer English teaching in Myanmar

My month in Myanmar as a volunteer English teacher was one of the most fulfilling, rich experiences I've ever had in my entire life. My experience exceeded my expectations by far. In fact, I feel as if I was there for six months instead of only one as I learned and did and saw so much. I enjoyed all the classes and teaching assignments I was given, but I particularly enjoyed teaching at the monasteries and nunneries in the countryside the most. My teaching assignments at these locations exposed me to a very special, very important part of Burmese culture and I feel extremely honored to have been able to serve the underprivileged children there. I will always be exceedingly grateful to XploreAsia for making it possible to achieve my dream of teaching in Myanmar. XploreAsia assisted me with all my immigration documents, arranged my housing in advance, arranged my transportation to/from the airport as well as to/from the schools. Not having to worry about my lodging or transport was exceptionally helpful as I was able to focus my energy on lesson planning and preparation rather than logistics in a unfamiliar third world environment. I was very well looked after by the staff. I will definitely reach out to XploreAsia again when I decide to embark upon my next volunteer adventure and can recommend them without reservation to anyone looking for the same.

• Course Instructor

A unique once in a lifetime experience

Coming to Myanmar was definitely a culture shock...even after spending 8 months in Thailand. After a couple of weeks, the generosity and sincerity of the people and their culture envelops you with a feeling I have never felt before. I do not regret one minute joining the course! If you are adventurous, willing to be flexible, and love working and traveling off the beaten path...Myanmar and NELC-Xplore is your ticket.

Teach Myanmar - do something different

I came to this country knowing virtually nothing about Myanmar. I was hesitant to come just because it seemed so different from other places I had ever been. I was unsure what to expect...I came with the intentions of staying for 6 months and hoped I wouldn't regret my decision - that was more than 16 months ago.
Moving to Myanmar has been the number 1 best decision I have ever made. The people of Myanmar are friendly and welcoming; I am continually amazed by the generosity and love that is extended to me. I have had opportunities to teach adults in local Government sects as well as children in orphanages and monasteries.
Myanmar has been shut off from the rest of the world for a long time and this has had an obvious impact on the country's development. I love being a part of the education and growth of the local people while their country grows and developments. I can see the impact that my teaching has on my students and I know that as their English improves, they will have opportunities they would not otherwise have.

First Thailand, then Myanmar

I came to SE Asia to teach, travel, and figure out if I wanted to make teaching my career. Through Xplore Asia, their programs, and their placements I was able to all of those and then some. I took my TESOL course in Chiang Mai and had a very cool experience throughout; my instructor Michelle was great, she was able to give examples as to how what we were learning applied to an actual classroom during our lessons, and the English camp was a joy to be a part of (1st picture attached). On our long weekend a group of us from my TESOL group took a trip to Pai, Thailand and it was, in a word, amazing. The scenery and the feeling of the town made for a trip I'll never forget.

I was placed (hired by a school through Xplore Asia) in Phuket, where I taught English and Science to 5th graders. My Thai homeroom teacher was incredibly welcoming and helpful. My apartment was a 12 minute scooter ride from the beach (2nd picture attached), I quickly made friends with the other 12 Western teachers in the school as well as several local restaurant owners. I stayed in Cherngtalay, Phuket for one semester but was unable to stay due to my college student loan situation.

After applying and being interviewed, I was hired by NELC Xplore, Xplore Asia's joint venture in Myanmar with a Burmese English center and school. There I taught in both Yangon (the commercial capital) and Nay Pyi Taw (the governmental capital). In Nay Pyi Taw I taught at the Myanmar Ministry of Commerce, where I had the most enthusiastic, respectful, and kind students I've ever had the good fortune of teaching (3rd picture attached). In Yangon I taught at another Ministry of Commerce branch (with students just a great), along with the University of Medicine II and classes in NELC Xplore's office.

After achieving what I had initially come to SE Asia to do, I'm currently back in SE Vermont and applying to several graduate school programs to get my Masters degree in teaching. Without the experience that Xplore Asia facilitated, I would not be where I am today personally or professionally.

Incredible experience!

I decided to do the TESOL course with Xplore Asia as I preferred to do the course in Thailand than England and I am so glad I did. It helped enormously to start the process in Asia, not only to get experience of teaching in a different culture, but also to start to make friends who also are going to be living in Asia, and of course you are in Thailand and not soggy England. The move to Myanmar was simple and straightforward as was accommodation. The school is well run and teaching the students is fun and rewarding. There can be very few countries like Myanmar left in th world, the people are amazing and it is truly something I will never forget!

Consider teaching in Myanmar

Myanmar people are the friendliest people I have ever met. The best thing about Myanmar is that life is very simple here. XploreAsia has been very helpful in terms of helping me learn the ropes in a foreign country, finding a suitable placement and accommodation for me etc. Through the program I got to meet, interact with and form friendships with new people - teachers from Europe and the US as well as local teachers. Overall, this experience has been and continues to be an invaluable one.