Medical Internships in the Philippines - Iloilo
Work the World Header Image Work the World Header Image

Medical Internships in the Philippines - Iloilo

A big thank you goes out to the Work the World team in Iloilo

An overseas elective is not a requirement for my course, but I chose to travel to Iloilo with Work the World, both as a holiday and as a valuable learning experience. Work the World made planning simple and made me feel safe both in the lead up to my arrival and during my stay. The staff at the house are fantastic and go out of their way to make sure you are not just surviving, but loving your time in Iloilo.

I was lucky enough to arrive at a time when the house was busy with 20 students living there. This made the experience very enjoyable as it was great to hear about everyone’s experiences and to have people to go on short or long trips with. My initial few days were focused on getting me familiar with my surroundings. Work the World gave me comprehensive orientation sessions about the house, the city and my placement. Language lessons in the house were also very helpful — it’s easy to pick up the basics you need to know from the language tutor. However, most people do speak English well, so you never feel isolated. The people in general are very friendly and helpful.

It was great to have other students around as well, to share stories and experiences with and to learn from. I came away from my clinical experience with much improved skills and I am much more confident in my abilities now.

I would encourage anyone travelling to Iloilo in future to take the opportunity to explore. I did get to visit a local resort, which was lovely, as well as many areas of the city itself. The Philippines is a great place for a holiday. The weather was great and most things were surprisingly cheap. The Assistant Programme Manager will help inform you about possible travel opportunities, so make the most of their advice and your time off! Whilst the home-cooked food in the house is fantastic, Iloilo is a food destination in the Philippines and there are many places to try out new delicacies.

A big thank you goes out to the Work the World team in Iloilo. They made me feel at home in Iloilo and my experience would not have been as enjoyable without their help and support.

Come with an open mind

Patient outcomes can be challenging, and infection control conditions are lacking. You quickly learn to accept that the way of doing things here is not wrong but just different to what you are used to, it’s eye-opening.

So too is the culture. The conditions some Filipino people live in and the amount of money they earn is so different to what we are used to back home. Most have so little but are always so welcoming and generous. My advice is to learn some of the language - it makes people happy when you try to speak to in the native tongue!

Staying at the Work the World house was a great experience. The staff at the Work the World house are also always happy and friendly. Look out for the chef who works at the house — this guy can cook! I met a lot of other lovely people who were doing their elective here too.

Come with an open mind and you will go home a changed person and in my experience, a more skilful practitioner.

Lovely

We’re a little apprehensive on our first day at the clinic. Especially after trying to get a jeepney. On arrival, everyone was friendly and told us where to go. We met our supervisors at the orientation, so we knew who we would be working with, which was lovely.

On the first morning, I was worried about how different things would be but my supervisor helped me get to grips with local procedures and techniques me, with real guidance every step of the way.

Our afternoons were filled up with trips to local day centres and elementary schools. The kids were fascinated by us but behaved very well, which we weren’t used to at home! We managed to do quite a lot in one afternoon, so the experience was invaluable.

Language lessons in the house were put into full effect when trying to give a health presentation to some patients, and even if we said something silly, they seemed to enjoy it anyway.

Over all, it’s been an incredible experience, both at the Work the World house and at the clinic. We received a lot of support from everybody, and I’m sad that I’m leaving, as I would have loved to stayed for much longer.