Medical Internships in Tanzania - Dar Es Salaam
Work the World Header Image Work the World Header Image

Medical Internships in Tanzania - Dar Es Salaam

I have absolutely no regrets

As a medical student in my final year of training in a well-financed institution, I wanted to experience healthcare firsthand in low-resource setting. When I first set foot in Tanzania, I spent a relaxing week with friends on the island of Zanzibar. The experience of snorkelling in February seemed so surreal. After several days of enjoying the heat of the island, I arrived in Tanzania. I felt immediately at ease as our program manager greeted me. The Work the World Tanzania team provided me with a great orientation to the placement and its surroundings. I found quickly that I would have no lack of places for entertainment during my four-week internship.

The day my placement began, I was filled with nervousness and anticipation. As I walked into the Labor and Delivery unit (or maternity ward) of the Regional Hospital, the dramatic contrasts to my home institutions became quite vivid. 10-12 beds filled with women in active labor seemed worlds away from the single-bed rooms to which I was accustomed. I was given immediate patient care responsibility at my placement. I was expected to assess patients as they presented to the floor, determine if they were in labor, and initiate management. I remained on this unit for the entirety of my four week placement. I will never forget the exhilaration of assisting in the delivery of several babies each day and learning the essentials of obstetrics without the aid of technology. I became more comfortable assessing women without the help of the ultrasound and without the use of a doppler to listen to fetal heart tones.

I had been on international medical rotations earlier on in my medical training and found that my experience with Work the World was by far the most positive. The organisation of the program and their attention to your individual needs and preferences was impressive. The program is extremely flexible and allows participants to tailor their experiences to their needs, and the needs of their home institution. I always felt well-supported in the Work the World program. Staff members were consistently available and capable to handle any unforeseen difficulties. Our weekly barbecues emphasise the mentality of building friendships while providing an excellent learning environment. We often explored the town's nightlife, many great restaurants, and fabulous markets. The house was filled with others on different placements and was a great place to get to know other healthcare professionals and discuss our experiences.

Both my work and traveling experiences in Tanzania exceeded my expectations. I was able to go on safari for 4 days, see some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, and meet such interesting and fun-loving people all in one internship. I have absolutely no regrets with my choice and could not have asked for a better experience.

Great experience

The placement

I was placed at the regional hospital in Tanzania for 5 weeks in the surgical department. On the first day I was thrown straight into the thick of things by being asked to scrub in for an appendectomy. The theatres are very different to the UK; they have few resources and organisation is almost non existent but you won’t be short of things to do. There are two theatres - one for majors and one for minors - and you are free to walk between the two to fill your time, the surgeons were always keen to teach. It is not necessary to have lots of surgical experience as the doctors will guide you through the procedures.

I experience procedures such as Thyroidectomy (lots as goitre is common), Gastrojejunostomy, appendectomy, ORIF (femoral fractures are very common), Liver abscess, amputations, reduction of wrist fractures, re-dressing burns, POP casts and debridement of wounds. I also saw a c section and a natural birth.

The Hospital is severely underfunded and as such has only one anaesthetic machine, two oxygen cylinders, no recovery room and no monitoring on the wards. Despite this the doctors are highly skilled and make the most of the resources they have.

All the doctors speak very good English and are very happy to talk about the differences between Tanzania and England, they even encourage your input on ward rounds. Like all hospital placements you get out what you put in and the more enthusiastic you are the more you will learn. I think the best part about the placement is the clinical skills you will gain and the surgical signs you will see, as investigations are costly and patients present very late.

The WTW house and staff

The Work the World house is massive and always stocked up with fresh fruit, veg and various other foodstuffs that the super chef makes into culinary masterpieces. Breakfast normally consists of pancakes, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juice and tea/coffee. If you aren’t on placement then you can help yourself to items in the kitchen for lunch. Dinner ranges from delicious traditional African cuisine (Ugali, mchicha and my favourite nyama choma) to old British favourites such as chips and steak.

The Programme Director, will go out of his way to make sure you have everything you need. If it is organising a safari or getting buses he knows where to go and when for the best deals and service. All the staff always have a huge smile and lots of enthusiasm which certainly helps you get going in the morning.

Travelling in Tanzania

Safari is an absolute must and it can easily be organised over a long weekend. 4 days is the minimum I would recommend if you want to go to the main areas of Ngorongoro, Serengeti and Lake Manyara. I proposed to my fiancé in the Serengeti so I have particularly fond memories of this experience.

I recommend flying to Zanzibar as I travelled by coach then ferry which was very time consuming and only marginally cheaper. The full moon party at Kendwa takes place every month on or near the full moon. Travellers and locals all rock up for a beach party that lasts till sunrise. When the party's over Kendwa is a beautiful place to chill out after an exhilarating few weeks of placement. Scuba diving, snorkelling, fishing and some water sports can be arranged from here.

Stone Town deserves a couple of nights stay to visit the fish market and go on a spice tour. It gives you a taste of real Zanzibar, getting lost is inevitable and helps you explore the streets and orientate yourself.

Thank you Work the World!

Following months of planning it was hard to believe they were actually in Africa and about to embark on a huge adventure to the Work the World house in Tanzania.

We found out about Work the World through the trusty search engine of Google. From the moment we sent out applications to the phone call the day before we were due to travel, Work the World were brilliant, always there to answer any queries or concerns that we had and providing us with all the information we needed for our trip. I can honestly say I have never known an organisation to respond to emails as quickly as Work the World, it made a huge difference to the planning of our trip and allowed us to look forward to it as opposed to stressing out!

Stepping off the plane we were met by the ever smiling Freddie who was there to help us with our bags and take us to the Work the World house. The car journey on that first day was so surreal, it was hard to believe we were actually in Africa, filled with nerves, excitement and anticipation, I didn't know what to expect however, Swahili lessons in the car definitely made us feel at home!

As we arrived at the weekend we were taken straight to the house to settle in and were greeted by our amazing housemates and the Work the World staff who instantly made us feel at home.

Our first day began with an orientation with Fin showing us the nearest banks, internet cafe's and local shops, followed by a trip to the Market which I have to say definitely grew on me and by the end of my 6 weeks I was a regular visitor. Freddy gave us all the information we needed to make us feel safe and comfortable in the town and he was able to answer all our questions, it was clear to see Fin loved his job and was extremely good at it!

Our first official day at the hospital began on the Children's Ward. All I can say is that nothing can prepare you for the culture shock you will experience on your first day. Everything is different to the healthcare we are privileged to have in the UK, from the hygiene, to equipment and the environment, you truly get to see a first glimpse at the struggles the staff face every day. My initial shock was to see 2 or 3 children sharing the same bed with their mothers, as you can imagine it made it extremely difficult to access the patients, but also led to confusion when trying to hunt down notes. However, the hospital staff cannot be faulted for making the best out of a situation and carrying out tasks with the best of their resources, the staff always had a smile on their faces even when presented with difficult cases.

We spent 2 weeks on the Children’s Ward and then the remaining 4 on the Neonatal Unit. Although extremely upsetting and frustrating most of the time, it was very interesting to see how premature care is delivered to babies and to compare the daily routines to the ones we are used to in hospitals at home. The staff on the Neonatal unit were amazing and so friendly, they made us welcome from the moment we started and definately made the remainder of our hospital placement memorable!

Although the placement is a big part of the Work the World experience, fun packed weekends definitely made the experience a lot better. There is never a shortage of things to do and a few highlights for me included the four day Safari, seeing animals in the natural environment is one of the most remarkable things I have seen and it will stay with me forever, a definite must for everyone! For those who like the idea of climbing Kilimanjaro but are not fans of the price, climbing Mount Meru is the next best thing.

This is probably my proudest achievement, I cannot describe the feeling of standing on the summit after hiking through the night, but it is definitely something, I would recommend it to anyone, even if you are not a huge fan of walking! If you are not hardcore enough to stay with the Massai for the whole week, a day trip to the village is definitely worth it and lots of fun, you experience how the tribe live and not to mention have a million laughs learning to dance like a Massai woman or warrior!

Overall my trip to Tanzania was definitely a once in a lifetime experience, and Work the World provided me with this opportunity. It has enabled me to experience healthcare at a completely different level, learning new things and definitely appreciating the NHS!

All the staff in the UK are extremely helpful and the staff in-country are some of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege of meeting and I will remember them and my trip for a very long time.

Awesome experience!

One of my university lecturers mentioned how Work the World were great at organizing overseas healthcare internships. I carried out some independent research, comparing them against other organizations but there was really no comparison at all. After speaking with the team at Work the World HQ, I felt confident the service would be exceptional.

Any questions I had were covered. They regularly initiated contact with me, which was reassuring and built up excitement about the trip ahead. MyTrip—Work the World’s online internship planner—was fantastic. It offered an impressive amount of information and (via the interactive itinerary and timeline) highlighted all the steps in the run up to my trip. I felt totally organized, and confident that I was ready long before it was time to go.

When I arrived in Tanzania, it was easy to identify the member of the Work the World team who had come to meet me at the airport. It was a great relief to see him after a long journey.

We traveled to the Work the World house together, and in the evening I enjoyed a welcome meal to get to know the other students who were already in the house.

My first full day in Tanzania was all about getting oriented. We hopped on the dala dala (public transport) and off we went. The Work the World team were incredibly friendly, and answered any questions we had along the way. The city orientation was helpful, especially when it came to getting to know landmarks and where all the good places to eat (and drink) were.

The introduction at the hospital reassured us that people were there to support us.

The house is amazing with so much space to spend with others or to have some quiet time. The house is always so clean and tidy, the beds are really comfortable and nets are in great condition. There was always a great vibe around the house and the main cook made us amazing, delicious meals. Being from Ireland, potatoes are an important part of my own diet and her mash was simply amazing!

Being allowed to use the kitchen is a good advantage when in need of a cup of tea, and the rest of the Work the World team were very helpful, friendly and chatty. They were always willing to advise on travel opportunities. Any queries regarding your internship they sort out very efficiently, ensuring students never have problems as they solve any urgent issues immediately. They have been so friendly and helpful that it totally made the experience - thank you all!

Being a radiography student I have spent my entire internship in the imaging department - there are two X-ray rooms and an ultrasound room. Film is used so there is also a dark room, I really enjoyed this after being trained in the UK - it is amazing to see all the similarities and differences.

At the start I mainly observed and helped moving patients, but after the first week I was able to get involved taking multiple X-rays, I found the various cases so interesting as most patients have been involved in serious RTA/ motorbike accidents. Some techniques vary compared to what I have learnt so far. However, there was plenty to learn even though I am at the end of my training. The equipment is to a good standard and has to be used sparingly as there is a limited supply of resources.

On the first weekend I went on the Work the World safari. It was one of the best experiences ever. The jeep was big, spacious and the driver and cook were friendly and great fun. It was a jam packed three days and everybody enjoyed every second of it, even though it is a long drive. It passes so fast as there is so much to see on the way - including local towns and villages.

The scenery is beautiful and the driver was so patient when we wanted to take endless pictures of everything, he also had so much information about all the animals and Maasai people. The food in the evening was so tasty and camping was such an experience. It was great fun, the weekend of a lifetime and worth every penny. The coffee tour was another fun afternoon trip and it was great to see the process of beans turning into coffee. We also visited the hot springs which are so beautiful. It took a bit of time to get there but the countryside is interesting, once there the water is lovely and warm, it was such a relaxing day.

Go with an open mind, enjoy every minute and leave with tons of pictures and memories. It's an invaluable experience where you can meet so many interesting people, see so many new things and learn so much.

Great experience

I got the feeling that I had arrived in Africa as soon as I got off the plane. I met with the program manager at the arrivals lounge and we then went from the airport to the house. On the way, as we travelled along a particularly bumpy road, I noted how the local people outside always looked quite lively and happy.

I arrived at the Work the World house to be greeted by students who had arrived earlier. The house is really big and has a homely feel to it, so it was easy to get comfortable. I was really excited as I unpacked.

Monday was the orientation day. We were briefed on what things to expect during the placement before moving on to our town orientation. I had the “dala dala” (public transport) experience between the railway stop and town and was also taken to the hospital. Once I had acquired the Internet and a mobile phone, we then had lunch and proceeded to the crafts market. After the crafts market, we then went back to the stop to hop on a “dala dala” and make our way back to the house.

In the evening, I had my first Swahili lesson, which was really fun. The teacher was exceptional and as days went on my Swahili really became good, especially when I was haggling over the prices of things in the market.

My first dinner at the house, cooked by our amazing caterer, was delicious. “Kitamu sana” became my favourite Swahili phrase, which means “the food is delicious”.

My placement experience was different to my previous experience back home, although it was more organised than I had expected. I quickly realised that being proactive is the secret to success, rather than just standing around being observant. Following any of the staff during their rounds, it was a relief to know that they don’t mind us asking questions as they are more than happy to answer anything, in addition to describing each case. In the Casualty Department, you see everything from seizures to very interesting fractures. There would be days when things would be calm one second and, all of a sudden, chaos would emerge as a result of a rapid succession of new emergencies. This kind of unpredictability was one of my favourite things about casualty. I felt everyone was a teacher in some way: the nurses showing how to cannulate and suture properly, the doctors would test my medical knowledge and medical interns helped me out in other more general ways.

Adjusting wasn’t difficult as I am naturally proactive. Upon witnessing a procedure that would be deemed as incorrect based on how medicine is practiced back home, it was important not to judge but to ask for the reasons why it was performed in that way. My mantra was to go with the flow and accept the differences whilst enjoying the experience. Sometimes I was asked to do something I wasn’t sure how to do, but this was the perfect time to toughen up and learn how, instead of shying away. Thus, it ended up being less scary than I thought, and turned out to be so much fun. It has been three weeks, but I feel like I’ve done and seen so much.

On the weekend, we visited the hot springs, which involved a bumpy ride to what seemed like the middle of nowhere. Once we arrived though, it was really amazing. The place had amazing tall trees and I saw the clearest water I have ever seen at the springs. It was also quite the experience to go into the small cave. To round off the day, we enjoyed some “chips mayai”, a common food found in Tanzania. Visiting the springs was really relaxing, and a very nice place to spend time after the hectic days in the hospital.

On another weekend, we climbed up Mount Meru, which involved a 3-hour hike. We saw a lovely, majestic waterfall along the hike and, by the river that it ran into, we picked and ate wild berries and drank konyagi, a local Tanzanian alcohol and a just reward for a hard day’s hike. Along with the view atop Mount Meru, which was simply epic, it was said that climbing Mount Meru was good practice for anyone looking to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, the tallest mountain in Africa, which can also be found in Tanzania.

I promise you won’t regret it

My university recommended Work the World to me, and I can see why. They made organizing my internship easy. I got to choose which country I traveled to and the departments I wanted to spend time in so I was still in control. But Work the World were always available to offer me guidance, support, and to organise and pull off the internship itself.

When I arrived in Tanzania, someone from the local Work the World team was there waiting to meet me at the airport, which made me feel at ease right away. They took me back to the Work the World house, which was to be my accommodation during my trip.

Everyone at the Work the World house was friendly, and I settled in quickly. The house felt like a home away from home, and I made some incredible friends from all over the world. The welcome briefing, city orientation and hospital orientation were great. They made me feel much more comfortable and confident—especially important in a country I had never been to.

My first day of placement was nerve-wracking. But the local staff in my internship hospital were welcoming. I showed a keen interest to learn and to get involved in caring for women on the labour ward. In return the staff helped me make the most of the opportunity presented to me.

There were some real differences in the culture of the maternity ward in comparison to the what I was used to back home. But I kept an open mind as I wanted to develop my knowledge and use the experience to further my own practise. I did see things done in a different way from home, and I would often discuss why certain things had been done in certain ways (often due to a lack of resources). It was good to see how local midwives utilised the few resources that were available to them.

Another major reason I enjoyed my placement so much was that the staff welcomed me as part of their team. They valued my input and were totally open to discuss differences in practices between their country and mine. I was also able to consolidate much the training I had received to date, which really helped to build my confidence in the knowledge that I have.

I was amazed by the strength the local women had. Pain relief options there were limited, so nearly all the women I saw on the labour ward gave birth without any pain relief at all. They were left alone to go through labour, and only assisted with delivery. It was amazing to observe their strength.

Outside of the hospital, I had some amazing travel experiences. One of which was going on safari, which is an essential experience if you’re in Africa.

I saw some amazing animals and was privileged enough to see a couple of the animals give birth. The camping on safari was an experience in itself, especially when some elephants decided to join us!

My internship with Work the World was the experience of a lifetime. I learnt so much from it, gaining incredible friends from all over the world. I would 100% recommend doing an internship with Work the World, I promise you won’t regret it.

I would absolutely recommend an internship with Work the World

Undertaking an overseas internship with Work the World was the perfect option for me. I have never traveled outside Europe, and they were able to make this happen for me, which they did.

When I arrived in Tanzania someone from the local Work the World team was there waiting to meet me. They took me out for a quick lunch before driving us back to our accommodation—the Work the World house. We met the rest of the team and the other students who were to be our housemates (and soon to be good friends) during our stay. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and the team were always on hand to give advice about anything and everything.

The following morning, the team took us out on an orientation. We covered all bases like where to change money and how to get local SIM cards for our cell phones. We also had our first experience on a dala dala—a local minibus, which was fun to say the least!

The next day was the first day of our clinical internship. The Work the World team took us to our hospital and introduced us to the matron who then showed us around. She went on to introduce us to literally every member of staff we might interact with! All the staff were incredibly friendly and although she didn’t directly supervise any of us, she always took an interest in what everyone was doing. She was also keen to help us make the most of our time in the hospital.

I spent most of my internship on the female ward. During my time there I dealt with patients with a variety of health problems including malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS and surgical cases. The nurses on the ward were welcoming, allowing me to get involved in patient care. Being proactive and showing that I was willing to work and learn helped me earn the trust and respect of the staff, making them happy to involve you in things .

I visited several other departments, including major and minor theatre, and the Counselling and Treatment Centre (CTC), which was the OPD that provided care for people with HIV and AIDS. This was particularly interesting as I was keen to learn more about HIV and AIDS during my internship. The doctors in the CTC spoke to me about the treatments they offered, and I was allowed to sit in on consultations. Despite my (very!) limited knowledge of Swahili I still found this useful, as the doctors kindly explained things to me in English as they went along. I also spent a week on the labour ward, which was amazing as I have never had the opportunity to do this at home.

There was plenty to keep us amused in our spare time in the evenings and during weekends.

The markets were a lots of fun as long as you are willing to haggle. And there were a variety of bars and restaurants, and a few nightclubs as well. No trip to Tanzania would be complete without a safari, and we spent three days in the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara watching the wildlife. I was amazed at just how many animals we saw and how close we got to them.

I loved my time in Tanzania, and met loads of great people during my stay. The Work the World staff out there were so helpful and supportive. Since I’ve been home I have missed them all. After eight great weeks we were sad to leave, but enjoyed four days relaxing on the incredible beaches of Zanzibar before flying home.

I would absolutely recommend an internship with Work the World to anyone looking to do something different, it is a brilliant experience and looks great on your resumé too! I would like to thank all the staff in Tanzania and the UK for helping me have a fantastic internship.

Thank you Work the World!

When trying to find out information about organising an overseas internship, I came across the Work the World website. I read what they had to offer and realised that they were exactly what I needed. They organised my entire placement; all I had to do was tell them what I wanted to get out of it. They organised my private accommodation for me and I didn’t have to worry about food because it was included. In fact, the only major decision I had to make was which destination to travel to!

After reading about all of Work the World’s destinations, I decided on Tanzania. I always had an interest in African culture but never in a million years thought I would experience it firsthand. I looked at the prices and they initially seemed steep, but when I worked out how much everything would have cost were I to have organised things independently, there was very little difference. What’s more everything was being organised and overseen for me. I knew that I would be totally supported in an unfamiliar country with a team on the ground to support me. When it comes down to it, you can’t put a price on your safety.

The Work the World team in the UK provided all the information I needed before I left. An itinerary of what I needed to do and when, such as vaccinations, applying for the visa and so on. They gave me a list of everything I should pack, which was incredibly useful, and they kept me informed about the private accommodation I was staying in, and even put me in touch with the other students I was sharing the house with. This meant that we weren’t total strangers when I arrived.

Finally, my departure date arrived. After a long and tiring flight, I touched down at Kilimanjaro International Airport. I was as nervous as I was excited.

A member of the Work the World team came to meet me from the airport. On the drive back to the house I was staying in, he taught me some basic Swahili and explained what would be happening over the next couple of days.

The following morning, the Work the World team delivered a great welcome briefing and then took us on a city orientation to help us get settled. They took us on a dala dala (a kind of local transport), and I’m glad he did because I wouldn’t have got on one of my own accord! They are an experience not to be missed

We then went together to my internship hospital—a small private institution. The team introduced me to the Matron. Although private, there were few luxuries. Luxury in Tanzania is a washing machine, a drip stand and a bed per-patient. However, the hospital staff were incredibly knowledgeable and could read patients better than any machine.

I spent my first week on the maternity ward. There was one bed in the delivery room, a prenatal ward and a postnatal ward, each of which had around 10 beds.

There was one midwife on shift and one healthcare/domestic. Families provided all personal care and food, so the midwife’s job was to administer medication, see a labour through and clean and dress any cesarean wounds. The hospital was incredible at improvising. There were no umbilical clips; instead thin cut pieces of catheter tubing with a bit of string were used, and gloves doubled up as a tourniquets. The breadth of things I learned was vast, and anything I wanted to know the local staff were willing to answer.

I spent my second week on the surgical ward, again with only one nurse on shift. They had three bays—male, female and private. At the start of my shift, I went on ward rounds with the doctor. We spent mornings cleaning and dressing inpatients’ wounds (and I saw some amazing wounds), and dealing with outpatients who came onto the ward to be treated by the nurse. I was also given the rare chance to go into theatre and observe operations.

In my spare time I went on a four day safari; visiting Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti. It was more than worth the money. The cost included all the national park entry fees, the jeeps, the food and the cook (the food was delicious), the tents and amazingly knowledgeable guides who can spot an ant on the horizon! My friends and I would be scanning in all directions for animals and the guide who was concentrating on driving would suddenly point to a lion walking through the long grass about a mile away, or a cheetah basking in the distance, both of which we could only see with binoculars! We saw loads of animals close up, including the big five, plus loads of others along the way.

I landed in Tanzania nervous about the decision I had made. I left not only with memories that I could never have dreamed of, but also with new friends I kept in touch with, and a great desire to return.

Thank you Work the World!

Have fun you will love it

I knew I wanted an internship that enabled me to see the health care system in a completely different way from the UK, so I chose Africa. I also wanted to find a place that was different and challenging and I am so happy that I ended up in Dar es Salaam as I may never have had the opportunity to experience African cultures or faced the challenges I did had I gone elsewhere.

I remember the very first day I arrived and just thinking 'how am I going to cope doing this experience on my own'? As soon as I was introduced to the staff and housemates though it all changed. I didn't feel like I was doing this on my own anymore at all. They were all incredibly supportive - it felt like I had known them all for ages. Over my time in Dar I had the opportunity to really get to know everybody and they are now good friends.

The house itself was gorgeous! It was comfortable and big with our very own private pool. The pool was a great addition to the house, especially due to the hot weather. It was nice to come back from a shift at the hospital and cool down in the pool. Thanks to the previous housemates there was always plenty of books to read and spare toiletries.

Safety in Dar was a worry of mine, but it was fine. In the house you always felt really safe. There is a security guard 24hrs a day and there were always staff around the house. You don't need to worry about finding your way around either. On my second day, I was taken to the hospital with the Programme Manager who organises your internship, introduces you to the ward, and gives you an orientation once at the hospital. He also gives you useful tips on nearest internet cafes, changing money, and how to be safe around the city.

Living in Dar itself was a great experience. Just travelling to and from the hospital on the Dala Dala was enough to enhance your confidence. The bus journey was dependent on the traffic, but took roughly 35 minutes and is the cheapest way of travelling. To get to the hospital cost 12.5p one way!

I was working in the largest referral hospital of Tanzania, which caters for a huge number of Tanzania's population. It is a government funded teaching hospital, with a university attached. It is far more advanced than the hospital in Zanzibar, particularly the A & E department and theatres as they have been charity funded.

Whilst at the hospital I spent two weeks in internal medicine and one week on the gynaecology ward. Whilst working on Internal medicine I observed cases involving HIV/AIDS, Malaria, CVA, Diabetes, Renal impairments and MI's.

It is hard not to compare African healthcare to practice in the UK. The environment is so very different - it is not rare to see patient's sleeping on floors, sometimes two to a mattress, cockroaches running around and big ants roaming the wards. Resources are also very limited, which I found shocking and frustrating considering its services are for a vast population area.

Weekends and evenings are free time so you get plenty of opportunities to organise trips or just relax. Whilst in Dar we took a tour of the city, which has plenty of places to eat and go shopping. The city is very busy, with locals harassing you to buy things - it's all part of the experience! We also spent many days at a place called Slipway, which is a tranquil harbour that has nice coffee shops, bars, and gift shops. The sunsets from there are amazing - a big recommendation. We also spent a lot of the time at a hotel called white sands, which has its own beach.

I recommend that if you choose Dar for your internship, you arrange a safari. The nearest park is a four-hour drive away but it is worth it when you get there. We got to see elephants, zebras, giraffes and buffalos, which was great. There was unfortunately no lions but the park itself is so beautiful.

Weekend trips to Zanzibar are a MUST. You can stay at many of the hotels relatively cheaply and visit Stone Town and Kendwa Rocks, an amazing beach that is apparently one of the top 5 beaches in the world. I also did my scuba diving and swam with dolphins in Zanzibar, which was a great fun.

I had a fantastic experience and I am so glad I went on my own. I have learnt a great deal about myself over the past month, which will benefit my future as a nurse. I would also recommend Work the World to anyone who decides to do an overseas internship. I could not fault them.

Have fun you will love it :) !

I can’t find fault with my experience

After a long flight to Tanzania, a member of the Work the World team met us at the airport and took us to our private accommodation. They showed us around and gave us some time to settle in before heading to bed to rest up before our long journey.

The following morning, the Work the World team showed us around the locality and we got our first taste of the Maasai market. We had our first taste of Ugali—a local dish a bit like mash—and went to visit our internship hospital.

I experienced a lot during my placement. I opted for four weeks on a surgical ward, two weeks on gynaecology and a further two on a labour ward. As my confidence grew, I was able to participate more, and I had a great time with the staff. As I had never had any previous experience on a labour ward I wasn't sure what to expect. But the doctors were very supportive and keen on teaching.

My time in the hospital made me appreciate the healthcare services we had in the UK. Much of the care provided in Tanzania involved improvisation using various equipment and limited space. I was surprised to see two patients sharing one hospital bed. I soon realised, however, that this was the norm.

Thanks to Work the World, the hospital was flexible when it came to rotating onto different wards. They always tried their best to accommodate me. To start with, there was a slight language barrier, but with Work the World providing weekly Swahili lessons, I was able to communicate with patients and understand basic phrases.

I was in Tanzania for two months, and during my time there I filled every weekend. There were endless things to do, like guided walks to local villages, visiting the island of Zanzibar for where we experienced white sandy beaches and turquoise seas, a three-day safari where we were lucky enough to see the ‘big five’.

The Work the World overseas team couldn't have been more helpful. If there was ever a problem, or if we wanted some advice, or information on good places to visit, the team were always there. Our catering team made amazing food each day and catered for individual dietary needs. And the weekly BBQs were brilliant!

I can’t find fault with my experience, and the help received by the Work the World staff both before and during my stay was amazing. I would recommend anyone wanting to experience a different culture and way of life to take advantage of the helpfulness of the Work the World experience and make the most of their support.