Biodiversity Monitoring Volunteer: Great Serengeti Ecosystem
Wildtrax Explorations Header Image Wildtrax Explorations Header Image

Biodiversity Monitoring Volunteer: Great Serengeti Ecosystem

Tanzania and beyond

If I had to describe my trip with Wildtrax in one word, it would be amazing. From start to finish, the trip was educational but amazingly fun. Being in a new country, or even continent for some of us, was an extreme culture shock, but the program leader Dhaval was fantastic at introducing us into this culture along with teaching us everything that he knew. Dhaval, having traveled to Tanzania many times before, was a vital part of the trip. He was incredibly informed on every subject that was presented and never was unable to answer one of our many questions. As I've always wanted to work with wildlife this trip was an extremely valuable tool to help sculpt my future. Being in the bush and seeing these animals and learning so much about them put a catalyst on my desire to someday work with wildlife. The cooks and drivers that were hired were a fantastic edition to the trip as well. Being trained and having gone through the parks many times, the drivers were excellent at identifying the animals along with spotting them at great distances. The park rangers that we came in contact with were very knowledgeable about the lands they worked on along with the plants and animals that inhabited them. We also had many encounters with the native people of Tanzania; this was an incredible insight on how the culture in America and the culture in Tanzania differed. The entire trip was phenomenal and something I would recommend to anyone who asks or is willing to listen. Simply an amazing company and travel experience.

Tanzania winter break 2017

This trip taught me a wide set of skills and really allowed me to work in a new environment. Experiencing the culture of the people along with the animals there was not something I could have read about. The administration and locals were very knowledgeable and friendly. I really enjoyed the giraffe ID and how we were given some independence in practicing our research. It felt like the research we were providing was valuable. Many activities were optional and choosing to participate in everything offered to me made the trip even more interesting and beneficial.

An experience you will never forget!

I had been looking forward to this program my 4 years at the university. By chance I applied to go during the Winter 2017 program and I got accepted. I went into this journey with an open mind and heart, the country received that with open arms. Our program coordinator Dhaval and everyone we encountered along the way were salt of the earth people. They say that the people of Tanzania are the nicest individuals you'll ever come across and boy are they right. From our game drives in some of the biggest conservation areas in Africa to our visits to the local community areas we were about as immersed in to culture and rustic bush experience as you could get. I had never felt so welcome in a foreign country in my life. The program of Wildtrax is something I would recommend to all my peers and anyone that wants the real experience of Africa. It'll be a decision you'll never regret.

Tanzania 2017

This trip was the experience of a lifetime. I went into this not knowing much about Tanzania and now I can tell my friends, family, and strangers all about how wonderful it is. I learned so many interesting facts along the way and definitely expanded my knowledge on conservation.

Tanzania 2017

This was the most amazing experience I've ever had. I don't like camping or bugs/insects, but I got used to it and it definitely shoved me out of my comfort zone. There was some drama in our group, but it was nothing everyone couldn't handle and it made you really appreciate everything you have back home.

Tanzania 2017 winter course

Overall, I had a good experience. I learned a lot about myself and experienced things I have never even seen before. I loved the little facts we would learn about the animal and being about to see them all around me was probably the best experience.