Teaching English to Buddhist monks in Monastery
We Volunteer Nepal Header Image We Volunteer Nepal Header Image

Teaching English to Buddhist monks in Monastery

Go, go, go!

I have spent three exciting weeks of the summer 2017 volunteering in a Buddhist monastery near Kathmandu, Nepal organized by We Volunteer Nepal. From airport pickup and sightseeing of the city to helping me and other volunteers with our Nepalese SIM cards when they didn't work and spending a whole day trying to reach tech support of the SIM card company, We Volunteer Nepal was everything that I expected and more!
Even now, one month after my Nepal experience, it's very hard to put my feelings into words, but I can say without a doubt that I will come back. Maybe to teach little monks English and Math again or maybe to participate in some environmental volunteering and try to contribute to keeping this country as beautiful as it is today.
For all of you who are having second thoughts about volunteering in Nepal - don't! You are in for the rewarding experience, acceptance, kindness, and love, so much love. Safe travels!

We Volunteer Nepal - Teaching English to Buddhist Nuns

I volunteered at the Hasante Buddhist monastery teaching English to the nuns in September, 2016 with We Volunteer Nepal. We Volunteer were a great organisation to help me have this experience in Nepal, and they were very helpful in getting me settled into Nepal. Firstly they put me into accommodation for my first night to recover from the flight, then they allowed a day for me to be shown around the city itself for a day of touring and sight seeing. Bhagawan was also helpful for two of the other volunteers with us when they became ill at one stage. The eating and sleeping conditions were very good at the monastery, with the food being cooked fresh for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and was absolutely delicious (obviously also all vegetarian to abide by Buddhist teachings). For sleeping conditions we had two people to a room, with an attached bathroom in each room, which was situated in a separate complex to the main monastery buildings which meant on our down time we had a private space to relax in. Obviously the bathrooms and beds aren't a five class hotel standard, but they are perfectly satisfactory for any volunteer. The nuns were a huge help throughout our time there and very helpful with any questions we had, while also being the kindest and most welcoming people.
I highly recommend this program with We Volunteer Nepal for those wanting an overseas volunteering experience to remember.

• We Volunteer Nepal responded to this review November 11, 2016 at 3:46 AM

Thank you Anna Cavanagh for your reviews and support our causes Buddhist Monastery in Nepal.