South Africa: Teaching & Community Development
A volunteer with local kids A volunteer with local kids

South Africa: Teaching & Community Development

I've collected many memories and friends that I'll forever cherish

The school feeding scheme in the villages was a definite highlight of my volunteering experience. I was able to interact with local children and women, help them with homework, teaching english and DANCE! The school was also great even though it is a religious Christian school and Im not really into religion, I've collected many memories and friends that I'll forever cherish.

Some areas the program can improve on are: The volunteer house is in a remote farm and if you don't plan a weekend trip, you are trapped in the farm. There is only one Town day which is always the same places (a mall and a shopping centre) and it is really for the schools shopping needs. I understand South Africa isn't very safe but I would've liked to be able to explore more around the area. There were many options for wknd trips but they were extremely expensive and from what I understood was due to the petrol cost for the volunteer car (big 10 seater). I rented a car with three other volunteers and made our own Panorama Route trip for a third of the cost. I think the costs of these trips should be available prior to booking this project so we can prepare our budget accordingly. Same thing happened to me in Kerala, where to trip to Munnar via Volunteering Journeys was extremely more expensive than what I found in town. I think having a budget options to trips will help volunteers and build our trust with the you.