Go on a Safari for a Mission!
Bushwalk Bushwalk

Go on a Safari for a Mission!

Life changing experience

I recently did a random out of the blue two week volunteering program in South Africa with Volunteer Safaris and I can say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. This was my first time volunteering abroad and I am so glad I did, the people I met were awesome - everyone was so kind, friendly, and welcoming the moment I arrived.

The broad and varied nature of our work meant that as a volunteer, I was able to gain experience in a number of different fields. The safari trips through the Kruger National Park were absolutely amazing - we saw all the Big 5 and I managed to get some really cool pictures. I found that the concept of “voluntourism” enabled me to make effective use of my holidays whilst also getting to experience a new country, culture and language; and most importantly, make a positive difference in peoples live’s.

From the pickup at the airport to the day we left I cannot say I ever felt unsafe, unsure or at all corned about anything. The Volunteer Safaris team were fantastic and I would 100% come back one day.The $1500 price for the two week program was completely reasonable and there were no hidden costs.

If you have ever wanted to volunteer abroad and don't know where to start, look no further than Volunteer Safaris. This program and the people involved have changed my life and I can't thank them enough for the love and joy during those 2 weeks!

Volunteering at its best

As a seasoned traveller to Africa, I have booked several times with Viva Safaris. They offer excellent accommodation, their food is of a very high standard and all the staff make you feel like family. I was so happy to hear that their new volunteering programme is up and running. I had the privilege of visiting Masango Camp and I was so impressed with the accommodation, it has everything you need and very comfortable and clean. The food is lovingly prepared and tastes delicious. Masango Camp is set within the stunning Motlala Game Reserve allowing volunteers a unique African experience. It is not unusual to wake up to giraffes feeding on the nearby trees and falling asleep to the sounds of the African Bush. The swimming pool is excellent, great for a sunset swim. The wildlife guides are extremely knowledgeable and always smiling, they are well known for their sense of humour and kindness. The trip to Kruger National Park is as exciting as it sounds. The volunteering experience is something that should not be missed. The programmes available covers something for everyone, even people of a certain age, like me. I am a retired teacher in my 60s and this was something I wasn’t going to miss. As a solo traveller I felt a little apprehension, like being stranded somewhere. This was far from the case, I was met at the airport and taken to my hotel in Johannesburg and the next day Viva Safaris collected me from the hotel and took me to the Camp, the experience is overwhelming, I met some wonderful people from all over the world, we all ate together, had a few wines together and worked together as volunteers. The rewards cannot be put into words. Working for those less fortunate is paid in smiles and gratitude from those who deserve a better quality of life. It is an experience of a lifetime and the memories will last forever. I cannot express how rewarding this experience is. At my age, I would never have dreamt of going on such an adventure, so don’t think about, just do it, no matter how old you are, just get off the sofa, turn the TV off and do something amazing, you won’t regret it, it is an experience of a lifetime!!

Volunteering & big 5 safari - South Africa

What a life changing experience!

Myself and some friends were looking at traveling to South Africa for a safari during our summer holiday (On budget). We came across this listing on Go Abroad and it sounded like an amazing experience which suited our budget - so we went ahead and booked via their website.

What an incredible trip it was. We were able to experience a safari in the world famous Kruger National Park in open 4x4 vehicles with game rangers who were so knowledgable about the African bush and wildlife. We also did a trip to the local animal rehabilitation project which was very interesting and informative.

We got to help people in the local communities by building their church, helping with growing their vegetable gardens and we even started a fish farming project. We made great friends and memories that will last a lifetime. Thanks to Piero for such an amazing life experience and for initiating this fantastic project. A trip well worth it.

We will be back again soon!