Physical Therapy Internships in Cape Town
VACorps participants VACorps participants

Physical Therapy Internships in Cape Town

PT internship in Cape Town with VAC

I initially chose Cape Town because of the rave reviews I had heard from my friends who had studied here. I knew I wanted to do my 6-month internship abroad, but I still wanted to practice Physical Therapy in a place that was English-speaking and challenging so I could really practice what I had been learning in school.

As for what I loved most about interning here, there is truly too much to say. I loved immersing myself in the PT department of a local school and working alongside professionals from South Africa, because I feel like I got an accurate portrayal of what it is like to work abroad. I loved the kids I got to work with at the site, and while I didn't learn quite as much as I'd hoped to from a PT standpoint, I certainly enjoyed my days working with the kids and I gained interpersonal skills and tactics for working with children that I will carry with me professionally. I created really strong relationships with my coworkers, and will never forget spending the mornings with them chatting and drinking coffee. I have the best memories working one-on-one with one patient with CP, whom I developed a positive relationship with. I truly believed the time we spent together benefitted her both physically and mentally, and that is a very rewarding realization for me to return home with.

Aside from my time specifically working at the school, I had the most amazing personal experience. I am leaving here with the absolute fondest memories, the most wonderful collection of new friends, and a rekindled love of travel. 6 months was the perfect amount of time to explore Cape Town in a leisurely manner while allowing me to bond with my roommates and create some very strong friendships

Two amazing months in South Africa

My time in South Africa were two of the best months of my life for so many different reasons. My internship at a township clinic was awesome, very informative and a great experience that I felt was very applicable to my graduate PT program at home. Cape Town and its surrounding areas also have so many opportunities for adventures, whether that be hiking, beaches, wine and food tours, or just scenic drives, that there is never a dull moment. However, by far the most memorable part of my time in Cape Town was the people I met. My housemates and other VAC interns became family and friends I will stay in touch with for a long time. My advice for future interns working at clinics is not to be embarrassed to talk to the patients and ask questions and be very open-minded.

Athlone school for the blind

When I first received my placement at Athlone School for the Blind, I was a bit hesitant. I had never pictured myself working with visually impaired children and had little knowledge about visual impairments. I accepted the placement, hoping to push myself out of my comfort zone. I came to Athlone hoping I would change these kids lives, but it turns out they are the ones who have changed mine. I learned about the numerous challenges these kids face everyday, but also recognised how happy and strong they can be at the same time. One of my greatest accomplishments is the soccer session I started as I had noticed a group of kids that loved soccer, had great talent but had never received any personal training. I started working with the kids 2 afternoons a week and built relationships and memories I will never forget. My therapy sessions consisted of lots of balancing exercises and functional activities. I am definitely leaving Athlone with way more knowledge and sense of creativity than I came with. Now looking back, accepting the placement was the best decision I ever made. I can honestly say that Cape Town has changed me for the better and my only regret is not staying longer.

PT Internship in Cape Town

My internship was more than I could have asked for. I've learned so much about physio and working with kids and clients. I have stories now that will last me a lifetime! Some advice for future interns: be humble, work hard, get out of your comfort zone, learn Xhosa, have fun and don't spend your evenings in bed watching movies - you can do that at home! Live it up in Cape Town!

Adventures in Cape Town

Cape Town has been an amazing experience and I will never forget the people I met or the adventures I had. I learned so much from my internship site and I know I can take the skills I learned here and apply them anywhere I do. The VAC staff were very friendly and attentive to any needs or questions I had. I would definitely recommend Cape Town and this program to anyone planning on living abroad.

Maitland Cottage Home

I had a wonderful 10 weeks working as a physiotherapist! This was my first time in pediatrics and I enjoyed every day I got to work there. VAC helped me in so many ways and made this an unforgettable experience.