Marketeing internships in Cape Town
VACorps participants VACorps participants

Marketeing internships in Cape Town

Cape Town is the best place ever!

I'm not going to lie, my first few days in Cape Town were a bit of culture shock. I was a little overwhelmed and didn't know where I was safe and what I was supposed to do. Now that I am leaving after three months, I feel stupid for ever feeling like that. It was harder than expected to adjust to the Cape Town lifestyle. but now I am scared to go back to the United States. VACorps made me feel so welcome and the Bus Tour was a great way to see the city and be touristy for the day. It is such a good way to meet people and create a group of friends that live in close quarters with you. It was nice to not jump into the internship right away. You have a few days to get comfortable, move into your room, see Cape Town and get to know Obs.

My internship actually helped with adjusting to Cape Town. It was nice having a schedule and routine. I was lucky enough to work Monday-Thursday so I was able to attend almost all of the Friday VACtivities :) I really enjoyed the Friday events because we did things that were on my bucket lists! It is nice not having to pay for it and having something scheduled for you. It was nice because you have the freedom to choose what events you are interested in. You are not forced to go. So if you would rather do something else that day, you can. VAC was there for you when you needed them, but also gave you plenty of freedom to do what you wanted. I liked having VAC to ask questions and to have a support team. Don't worry though, you get from VAC what you want. They can set up trips for you and are just all around helpful!

Cape Town is honestly the best place ever. It is the most beautiful scenery I have ever been around and I am so sad to be leaving today. I will miss the people, the vibes, the hikes, the adventures, and everything that is Cape Town. During your time here, take risks. Do things you never dreamed of doing. Comfort zones do no exist here. I have been skydiving, bungy jumping, and shark cage diving and I want to do more. Some may say I'm an adrenaline addict, I say I am taking advantage of every opportunity. So make the most of your time and say, "YES!" I'm jealous of anyone coming to Cape Town for an internship because I wish I could stay longer.

I loved my internship. It was honestly the perfect match. You can choose if you want a lot of coworkers or not. I worked with about 7-8 other people at a digital marketing firm and they were the chillest people. I gained so much professional experience and was introduced to the marketing world. After this internship I have a better idea of what I want to do after school. I loved everything about my internship, VAC, and Cape Town!"

Zest for Life - Experiencing the Wonders of Cape Town

Working at my internship site, Get Smarter, in Cape Town was amazing, educational and professionally transformative. Everything was well organized, flexible, welcoming and lovely. I learned a lot about content marketing, design and research. What I feel had the most influence on me professionally was seeing the leadership techniques used to keep employees happy and the company running smoothly.

3 amazing months in Cape Town

In 2012 I travelled around the world reaching several different fascinating destinations and people. I came to South Africa, but never reached Cape Town. I found this frustrating because on my adventures I met so many different people who told me that my life wouldn’t be fulfilled without a stay in this city.
On my 5th semester of my study, Intercultural Market Communication, you can either do an internship in Denmark or Study abroad somewhere. My problem were that I wanted to go abroad, but I wanted an internship, which was not a normally thing to do. It increased the bureaucracy markedly – this is where VAC came in and gave me a very helping hand in finding an internship placement, a place to stay and a smooth experience.
I chose Cape Town for many reasons besides all the recommendations from people I met all over the world. It was the Design Capital 2014, a lot of interesting cultural things are happening after Apartheid, Nelson Mandel’s death and such, it’s a BRICS country so there’s a lot of growth and potential in the nation and besides that nature is amazing: I had a 15 minutes ride to go kitesurfing and when I wanted to go jogging I just ran up into the mountain in my backyard where I was among beautiful sights, zebras and very often good friends.
Cape Town is calling me back and to start a company in the country is not unlikely – hope to see you soon CT, with all its people, parties and natural pleasures.
Thanks to the young and talented VAC crew for making this time of my life unforgettable – hope to see you soon legends