Marketeing internships in Cape Town
VACorps participants VACorps participants

Marketeing internships in Cape Town

From Kansas to Cape Town

I chose Cape Town as I have only heard great things about it and didn't want a stereotypical abroad experience in Europe. I really wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone. I loved interning here because there is literally SO much to do at all times - my friends and I were great at always having something lined up to do. Hiking, restaurants, bars, animals, beaches, etc. Cape Town has it all!

I believe my internship helped me grow personally as I am quite a dependent person who needs things all lined up and written out before I do anything - this internship was the complete opposite. Some specific highlights at my internship site include going for a team bonding trip to HintHunt escape rooms. We went for my supervisors birthday but it was a nice escape from the office. We also went to a combination birthday-farewell-welcome lunch my last week.

I stayed here 9 weeks and could have easily stayed for another 9 weeks after!!! Everybody here always talks about how Cape Town never truly leaves you and people always come back and I 100% can attest to that. I've already entertained the idea of moving here in the future. There is something for everybody here. I especially loved all the food and restaurants - there's certainly many to choose from.

I would recommend this program to anybody. You should absolutely believe all the hype surrounding studying abroad and all the notions saying "experience of a lifetime." If you can do it, do it. VAC's onsite support team did wonders for us and made the experience that much better - the weekly activities give everyone something to look forward to and connect all the VAC interns together. We have become such close friends!

My wonderful experience as a Dutch student in the VACorps program

I'll never forget the moment when I told my mother I intended to go to Cape Town to participate in an internship. She was terrified something might happen - and scared because she always worries about me! I'd never traveled alone and hadn't been away from The Netherlands for more than three weeks, so this might help you to better understand the worries of my mother.

Luckily, there was VACorps waiting for me in South Africa! I received little support from my home university in The Netherlands so I had to organise everything myself. Well, that's what I thought I would have to do. I don't know how I would have ever made it in Cape Town without the support of VACorps!

I arrived on a Wednesday but only started my internship the following Monday. The VACorps staff immediately invited me to join their Friday hike and it was a nice opportunity to get to meet new people! And that is exactly what happened— I met many, many beautiful and kind people through VACorps who became more like a big family to me (including the VACorps team).

The VACorps program is located in Observatory, a trendy and young area in Cape Town where there are a nice variety of bars and restaurants. Most of the students I befriended through VACorps were living in this neighborhood as well and after a few weeks we scheduled weekly dinners together and spent a tremendous amount of time exploring the city in our free time.

Next to meeting all these nice people, VACorps was a huge support when it came to my marketing internship. It didn't matter what was on my mind or where I needed help, they were always there for me and help me! I'm Dutch and by the time I finished my internship, I was so much more of a confident English speaker and now feel like I'm fluent in the language!

I was also very, very happy VACorps introduced me to Cape Town by giving orientations. These are very informative sessions where they tell you all the in's and out's, the do's and don'ts, cultural differences

Because of VACorps I experienced so many different sides of Cape Town. Their weekly program activities are not mandatory but I bet you will participate in every single one of them just because it is so much fun! The best weekly activity was on my birthday when we went sailing in Table Bay Harbour and enjoyued a beautiful sunset together on the water! Another highlight was our trip to Cape Point, something you wouldn't easily do yourself if you don't have a car. Besides these weekly activities, VACorps also organizes special trips! I was lucky enough to join the Cederbergs trip, which was three days of goofing around, having braais, going on hikes, swimming and jumping off of cliffs and camping under the brightest stars I've ever seen. This was definitely my best weekend in South Africa!

If you're reading this review because you are thinking about going to Cape Town, just know that I am extremely jealous of you. Don't hesitate any longer and sign up! People told me it's hard to say goodbye when you have to leave. I thought it would be okay when I left but I have never been more wrong. Cape Town will steal your heart. Be careful and enjoy every - single - minute!!

4 months in Cape Town that I will hold in my heart forever!!!

My four months in Cape Town has been the most incredible part of my life to date. In this short time, I have been immersed in a new culture, explored the most breathtaking nature, met beautiful people from all over the world, and truly grew immensely as a person. I am incredibly thankful for VAC for so much of my experience here--from providing short but impactful glimpses into South African culture to creating an extensive international community for interns to call home in their time here.

Making the decision to take a semester off of University to travel alone to South Africa was intimidating. It is hard to get an idea of what to expect before leaving, especially as a young person with little solo travel experience. The VAC team was incredibly helpful and supportive in the months leading up to my departure; I only realized once I arrived how much weight they took off of my shoulders. After I was all settled and oriented, it was always nice to have the VAC team (who quickly became friends) to provide support where needed and plan fun weekly activities that got the whole community out together.
I am so sad that my time in Cape Town has come to an end, but also so thankful for the experience. After all of the research I did in preparation, I am so glad that I found and chose to be a part of the VAC program. They provided the perfect balance of support/structure and freedom and ensures a safe a positive intern experience. This experience is one I will hold in my heart for the rest of my life, and I already cannot wait to come back to Cape Town as soon as I can!

Cape Town is the best place ever!

I'm not going to lie, my first few days in Cape Town were a bit of culture shock. I was a little overwhelmed and didn't know where I was safe and what I was supposed to do. Now that I am leaving after three months, I feel stupid for ever feeling like that. It was harder than expected to adjust to the Cape Town lifestyle. but now I am scared to go back to the United States. VACorps made me feel so welcome and the Bus Tour was a great way to see the city and be touristy for the day. It is such a good way to meet people and create a group of friends that live in close quarters with you. It was nice to not jump into the internship right away. You have a few days to get comfortable, move into your room, see Cape Town and get to know Obs.

My internship actually helped with adjusting to Cape Town. It was nice having a schedule and routine. I was lucky enough to work Monday-Thursday so I was able to attend almost all of the Friday VACtivities :) I really enjoyed the Friday events because we did things that were on my bucket lists! It is nice not having to pay for it and having something scheduled for you. It was nice because you have the freedom to choose what events you are interested in. You are not forced to go. So if you would rather do something else that day, you can. VAC was there for you when you needed them, but also gave you plenty of freedom to do what you wanted. I liked having VAC to ask questions and to have a support team. Don't worry though, you get from VAC what you want. They can set up trips for you and are just all around helpful!

Cape Town is honestly the best place ever. It is the most beautiful scenery I have ever been around and I am so sad to be leaving today. I will miss the people, the vibes, the hikes, the adventures, and everything that is Cape Town. During your time here, take risks. Do things you never dreamed of doing. Comfort zones do no exist here. I have been skydiving, bungy jumping, and shark cage diving and I want to do more. Some may say I'm an adrenaline addict, I say I am taking advantage of every opportunity. So make the most of your time and say, "YES!" I'm jealous of anyone coming to Cape Town for an internship because I wish I could stay longer.

I loved my internship. It was honestly the perfect match. You can choose if you want a lot of coworkers or not. I worked with about 7-8 other people at a digital marketing firm and they were the chillest people. I gained so much professional experience and was introduced to the marketing world. After this internship I have a better idea of what I want to do after school. I loved everything about my internship, VAC, and Cape Town!"

Zest for Life - Experiencing the Wonders of Cape Town

Working at my internship site, Get Smarter, in Cape Town was amazing, educational and professionally transformative. Everything was well organized, flexible, welcoming and lovely. I learned a lot about content marketing, design and research. What I feel had the most influence on me professionally was seeing the leadership techniques used to keep employees happy and the company running smoothly.

3 amazing months in Cape Town

In 2012 I travelled around the world reaching several different fascinating destinations and people. I came to South Africa, but never reached Cape Town. I found this frustrating because on my adventures I met so many different people who told me that my life wouldn’t be fulfilled without a stay in this city.
On my 5th semester of my study, Intercultural Market Communication, you can either do an internship in Denmark or Study abroad somewhere. My problem were that I wanted to go abroad, but I wanted an internship, which was not a normally thing to do. It increased the bureaucracy markedly – this is where VAC came in and gave me a very helping hand in finding an internship placement, a place to stay and a smooth experience.
I chose Cape Town for many reasons besides all the recommendations from people I met all over the world. It was the Design Capital 2014, a lot of interesting cultural things are happening after Apartheid, Nelson Mandel’s death and such, it’s a BRICS country so there’s a lot of growth and potential in the nation and besides that nature is amazing: I had a 15 minutes ride to go kitesurfing and when I wanted to go jogging I just ran up into the mountain in my backyard where I was among beautiful sights, zebras and very often good friends.
Cape Town is calling me back and to start a company in the country is not unlikely – hope to see you soon CT, with all its people, parties and natural pleasures.
Thanks to the young and talented VAC crew for making this time of my life unforgettable – hope to see you soon legends