Global/Public Health Spring Break Program in Peru
Vive Peru Vive Peru

Global/Public Health Spring Break Program in Peru

Peru, a lifetime worth of memories

Studying abroad with Vive Peru was an amazing experience. Throughout my study abroad I learned a great deal about Public Health in Trujillo. I also got to learn about the culture and community in Truijllo. One of the best part of the program were the people that you work with and build relations with throughout your time in Trujillo. The community that we got to work with is incredible, they are so kind and open to new ideas. The kids at Señor de los Milagros will literally melt your heart with their adorable smiles, love, laughter, and intelligence. The entire community of Señor de los Milagros is marvelous and the promotoras do an amazing job helping the community prepare for health initiatives and aid the community in a new healthy lifestyle.

If Vive Peru did not only do a great job of finding a community that was truly incredible to work with, but they also did an amazing job finding host family placements. The host family I stayed with also played an important role in my study abroad. The family I stayed with welcomed me into their home with open arms and I couldn't be more grateful for their kindness, patience, and love throughout my time in Trujillo. They were so incredible that I felt at home with my host family. The host family is where I also got to learn about culture and community in Trujillo. The family took my roommates and I to family functions, new activities (fútbol games), taught us how to make chocolate, and other amazing foods. The family was truly amazing and I still talk to my host family even after months of coming back from the study abroad.

Now all of these memories and possibilities wouldn't have happened without the staff, volunteers, and the director of Vive Peru. They truly want you to have an amazing time in Peru, they not only want you to learn about Public Health in Trujillo but they also want you to have an amazing experience in Peru. They work on and off the clock to make sure that the volunteers are getting the best of their time in Trujillo. Vive Peru is a hands on program that truly helps capture what it's like to live in Trujillo.

ASU (spring break) public health/global health

Vive Peru exceeded my expectations. The staff is very knowledgeable in all aspects of public health and provided a mixture of both hands on activities and insightful seminars that were related to the Peruvian healthcare system and public health. They continue to impact various communities and schools year round. The most memorable experience for me was working with the community health educators (promotoras) and the children of the community Señor de Los Milagros (SLM). I also had the privilege to help assist in the anti-parasitic campaign and human papilloma virus (HPV) campaign while also crafting helpful health lessons to teach the children at SLM.

My overall experience with my host family was exceptional. I honestly believe that my experience would have not been as amazing as it was if I didn't have an amazing host family and group of amazing advocates (Cesar and Claudeth).

Thank you Vive Peru for such a memorable experience! I look forward to going back to Peru soon!

Public health intern

My experience was amazing with Vive Peru. I made long lasting friendships, and met some wonderful people along the way. I also gained hands on experience on what it’s like to do public health work within a community. I worked with health promoters, kids, doctors, social workers and nurses. We worked within the communities, in schools and in the local health clinics. I learned a lot about health education and how to implement heath topics into a classroom setting, and encourage life style changes for the better.