Volunteer with Children at Social Risk in Chile
VE Global Header Image VE Global Header Image

Volunteer with Children at Social Risk in Chile

Interning and volunteering in Chile!

In total I have worked 5 months for VE Global, starting in September 2017. I have fulfilled a 50/50 position meaning that I worked as intern in the office, but also volunteered in a residential home. This was very interesting, because it gave me a multidimensional insight of the organization. Working with the children is a lot of fun, but it is very advisable to have a good knowledge of Spanish (or 'Chileno'), because that helps a lot! It is important to know that you will be working with children at social risk, which might give you a different experience than you expected. I have worked with girls between 6 and 17 years old and was able to create some special relationships with them and all of them were very sweet.

Overall, I had a really good time and learned a lot, both in the office and while working with the children! VE offers a lot of classes and workshops to support volunteers in their work. However, VE Global is a young organization and some issues such as internal communication and organizational structure can be improved. In my opinion also the contact between the residential home and VE Global could have been better. Nevertheless, living in Chile has been great! You get exposed to a new culture and the opportunity to travel around!