Uppsala International Summer Session
Study Swedish in Uppsala, Sweden and meet the world Study Swedish in Uppsala, Sweden and meet the world

Uppsala International Summer Session

An excellent summer

The nine weeks I spent at the Uppsala International Summer Session last summer were superb. I loved being immersed in Swedish culture and in an international community. The program offered rich opportunities to experience Sweden, including performances, events, day trips, and weekend outings. The staff were helpful, competent, and supportive. However, the most important thing to me was the quality of the language instruction. I went to UISS hoping to learn as much Swedish as I could over a summer. I could not have been happier with the quality of the Swedish classes I took, with highly trained instructors, and outstanding materials.

A great experience!

I had a spännande time at the UISS!
Teachers, staff, accommodation and Uppsala are all GREAT! And my Swedish has improved A LOT! I will definitely be back this summer!

Vi ses snart allihopa!

N.

Amazing and very useful

I came for a 6-week study of Swedish, but I felt so happy and enjoyable, that I told myself "No, you can't go away now because you will envy all the students that rest" ..so I prolonged my study till the end of the program. Now it's December but I still remember every day of the program! I really learned Swedish, I met nice people, I knew a lot of Sweden. Now I count days to come back, and even FIFA Mondial 2018 in my native country Russia can't be better that UISS! Love every teacher, every staff person, every student!

• Facilities

Take a leap into the unknown

There is no better way to break the monotony of typical vacation days. The classes are varied and interesting so you do not have to muster the energy to get up every morning. No administrative hurdles, very helpful staff and a lot of people from all over the world to get to know. It is definitely an unparalleled opportunity to step outside of your comfort zone.

Amazing and fruitful experience

I have tried learning Swedish unsuccessfully with some of those apps and online courses that teach you mainly close to meaningless sentences as ‘the dog loves cornflakes’ or ‘grandma is running’.
It was useful for perhaps learning some words and detach a little from the ground level, but as we all know, the real deal is to be in loco and get accustomed to a language while living and interact with real people.
So I decided to look around on the internet for possible solutions to be squeezed into my holidays.
9 weeks was exactly what I was pointing to, in order to maximize the results.
ACCOMMODATION SOLUTIONS IN SWEDEN
Sweden is an expensive country and on one hand rather bureaucratically hostile when it comes to accommodations for people without a person-number (their sort of ID and tax all-in-one number) and also very expensive, especially when it comes to temporary private accommodation solutions.
As a matter of fact, the formula ‘all inclusive’ was indeed what took my attention first, and I believe everyone should be after that.
Doing the math, considering hours of teaching, previous reviews, accommodation etcetera, it looked like a very honest price for Sweden and the only course with this length and options which could make it worth to take such a step. But looking around, there are actually very few alternatives.
I sent my application and decided to invest in that course during my summer vacations.
The whole organization is super efficient, flexible and impossible for anyone to get into trouble. Before and after the start of the course all inquiries are processed and problems solved. The director of the course is a catalyst for problems and her experience makes them dissolve even before bothering to find a solution.
PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Before arrival, the entire main logistical info is sent in due time by e-mail. Given the fact that I had a particularly difficult situation with payments to foreign banks, I had plenty of email exchanges with the staff before admission and I did receive answers promptly, once even 3 minutes after my inquiry. And I am being serious.
ARRIVAL
The accommodation was the first thing I came in touch with. It is located in a perfect central area with a building fully equipped with everything. It was so well equipped I didn’t even use all the stuff I could have used.
My room was just what I wanted and needed, equipped with also a tv I never used + a dvd player, an in-room kitchen used 5 – 6 times which was just spot on in case for a day or two one doesn’t feel like cooking in the common kitchen.
All students are provided with prefixed student cards that will allow them to enter the local student unions.

• Facilities

UISS is a wonderful program!

UISS is an excellent program. The language instruction alone makes it worth the trip. The classes are rigorous and fast-paced. It is easy to see improvement in speaking and comprehension after just one week. I remember loving the program and learning a lot twenty years ago, but this time I really experienced the specialness of the program. There is a warm, generous, open feeling in the air that starts with Nelleke, the director, and goes through the staff and all the students. There is a real sense of togetherness that is helped in large part to having fika (coffee break with snacks) and lunch together every day as well as the many evening and weekend get togethers. There are people of all ages from all over the world and everyone mixes quite well. I especially got a lot out of my afternoon class (Improving your Swedish through Theater and Music). It was very active with lots of theater games and songs and it was actually the most challenging thing I did. Most people in that class were at I higher level than I was but our teacher was excellent at making the class a place where you could take risks and push past your comfort zone. There is lots of singing the entire time at UISS and it is great because everyone participates with great enthusiasm. I'm not one to jump into group singing in the United States, but at UISS, the enthusiasm is really catching and I found myself participating with great gusto. I really did not want to leave at the end. I'm already trying to figure out when I can come back!

An integral quality learning

Everything is great in all the senses for the summer session course, the organization of it, the cultural experience, the great environment, the highly qualified teachers, the school facilities, the housing, the friendly environment and the knowledge acquired both cultural and language.

Definitely this is a great experience in case you really want to be immersed into the culture, language and every day life in Sweden, due the social activities, excursions, weekend trips and the evening classes which will allow you to know and understand a lot more about the aspects of the society and how a lot of things work in the country.

There is a lot to say about it to describe the great experience, to summarize it definitely I'll attend the next summer session.

Swedish excellent summer programme

Strongly advisable program which offers activities not only to learn the Swedish language, but also the culture and society. Adapted to all the different EU leves, it is a programme that will be useful for all the people that are interested in studying the Swedish language.

Review

It was a great experience to learn Swedish and meet new people from all over the world at the same time. The teachers and the staff were really nice and helpful. I was there for the first time and I look forward to do it again.

Wonderful summer programme

If you are looking for a memorable way to spend your summer, you wouldn't want to miss UISS. The director and the staff as well as the teachers are very friendly, and one of the best parts of this programme is the social & cultural activities prepared by the staff. The experience of being Typically Swedish was filled with fun and excitement!

Groupe experience

It's incredible how many interesting people one meets in such short time and one learns a lot of Swedish simultaneously. The program provides many occasions to connect to people from different countries and a very open atmosphere makes the contact very easy.

Lorna's review

Overall, a very enjoyable experience and I felt I received good value for money in terms of content of the course, teaching and cultural/social activities. It was a very full programme! I only gave a low rating for Health and Safety as I did not feel entirely safe walking home alone at nights in Uppsala.

• Uppsala International Summer Session responded to this review August 29, 2017 at 7:49 AM

I am sorry to hear you did not feel safe in Uppsala. It is a very safe city and we have never experienced any problems with students walking home alone. I also do not know what we could have done about your safety walking home alone. If you have any suggestions, please contact me on my e-mail, director@uiss.org.
    I am glad that you were happy with the program though!! All the best, Nelleke

Review

UISS was a great experience.
I liked the fact that both language and cultural contents were taught.
Housing had a bit of seventies-feeling but was okay.
The staff was extremely friendly, however I didn't like that much that there were a few 'stars' among the students that seemed to be closest friends with Nelleke and Co., while others were rather 'average'.
Apart from that UISS provided a great time and really helped me to learn more of the Swedish language and Sweden as a country!

• Uppsala International Summer Session responded to this review August 29, 2017 at 7:55 AM

I am sorry to read that you didn't like the fact that the staff made friends. Some of them were returning students and students that were there all summer. We really try to include everyone. Sometimes we get invited by the students to come for dinner or join in an activity and when we accept, we get to know them better and sometimes even become friends. I am sure you also became friends with some, but not all students, just because it is difficult to get to know every single person on a more personal basis. It's just something that happens. I am sorry if you felt left out, that is not our intention at all and my door was always open to every student, teacher or staff member. Time is just too short. Please e-mail any suggestions you have to me at director@uiss.org. I am glad that you liked the program for it's teachings and so on. All the best. Nelleke

• Facilities

Great program for learning Swedish language and culture

We had language courses in the morning and culture courses in the afternoon. It was a very nice balance, and helped to keep up the tension and enthusiasm the whole 3 weeks.:) Also the culture programs(Uppsala tour, crayfish party, pubcrawl etc.) gave me a great introduction and some insight to the local society. It was a great opportunity to get closer with classmates, and made the whole experience much more fun and exciting.

What should I say ?

Very open and commited staff, demanding but accessible teachers, amazing students, warm atmosphere : my 3 weeks at UISS have definitely been a huge breath. My Swedish has made a great leap forward whereas I could still go to nations with different people almost every night. The balance between studies and nations was just perfect, as I haven't felt studying hard while still making real progress. Moreover, students came from different countries in the entire world, were very enthusiastic, and the staff was just going out with the students. Once you've been through UISS, you'll never forget it - and in a good way.

• Facilities

Good organisation and a varied programm

I really enjoyed staying with the UISS for three weeks and would have very much liked to stay longer! The whole programm was very well organised and offered the participants a lot of different activities and alternatives which should not be taken for granted.

Swedish summer

I was lucky to spend three wonderful sunny weeks with amazingly diverse and interesting people in Uppsala. I was really pleased by the big variety of extra activities and events and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere in all of the classes, events and activities.

Great program

I loved learning Swedish but had a very hard time with the language itself. The city was fun and there was lots to do. I had fun at the silver mine and had one of the best times of my life at the farewell dinner. The dorms were nice depending of what floor you get put on. I highly recommend trying this out!

Fun times at UISS

UISS was a great opportunity to not only learn the Swedish language, but to get fully immersed in the Swedish culture. The way this course is set up is also wonderful as it allows you to travel on the weekends.

• Facilities

UISS: a unique, international, Swedish summer!

UISS was an amazing experience for me, there is no doubt this school is one of the most interesting language programmes I ever heard of. Before coming to Sweden for the program I had never gone abroad, and both the enchanting Uppsala and the amazing people I met there made my first experience in Europe unforgettable. Personally, I improved my Swedish very much and I think that this happens because you have the opportunity to speak and so to "break the ice", forgetting about your fear to seem "ridicolous". Apart from becoming more confident, I think that I learn many new words and improved my listening skills, because our morning classes were in Swedish. Just a word of advice - come to Uppsala and enjoy UISS!

Simply fantastic!

After visiting already a few language schools all over the world, I have to say that UISS is truly something special. Obviously, the courses, the accommodation, the social events were all great. However, what really sets the school apart from other language courses I have visited so far, is the amount of heart everyone involved puts into this program. Therefore, I can definitely recommend everyone who has an interest in learning Swedish to attend UISS.

• Facilities

Great experience overall and very worth it!

The classes were great, the staff was super nice and the extra activities and the surroundings were also great. There was no time to get bored, there is always something to do. The atmosphere is wonderful and everyone seems to be so respectful and happy. The town was great to get lost into, everything is so close and there are so many things to do. You get to learn a lot of Swedish in both the morning and afternoon classes and even with the friends that you make at the school.

Definitely worth it

I found UISS through my own research when I finally needed an opportunity to speak the language and experience an extensive immersion to complement my solo studies on Swedish eventually to be able to acquire the license to practice medicine in Sweden. I spent 9 weeks there in Summer 2017 and had every chance not only to improve my linguistic competency but also to spend an incredibly social, active, fun and worthwhile summer together with over 200 students from an age range of 18 to 60+ and from over 40 different countries. Thanks to its most helpful, professional and friendly staff and most kind participants, everything went so smoothly except for maybe a couple of tiny details and I returned home as satisfied as I could be. UISS is not only a language school but rather a really comprehensive introduction to Sweden in many aspects. The housing was pretty much perfect for me although the rooms differed sometimes a lot from one another and I didn't even try to keep a count on how many social activities and trips we had. I was literally tired towards the end:) They had a great range of teachers for both Swedish and afternoon (music, theater, cinema, conversation, Swedish society, fairy tales, sexuality...) classes and I had a chance to study Swedish with the help of two veteran teachers. Even though it might seem pretty costly, the whole package is definitely worth it and I would plan to go back if I hadn't finished the last level that's offered. Thank you Jonas, Felicia, Alex, Emma, Ruud and Nelleke!

UISS 2017

Overall wonderful experience! I would definitely return in the future and would recommend this program to many others. This summer was great for the opportunity to explore the world and learn more Swedish culture and language.

• Facilities

All in all highly commendable!

I left the summer session having studied and learnt lots of interesting and useful things as far as the Swedish language, culture and society are concerned. And I'm certainly thinking of planning to attend a further summer session.