Uppsala International Summer Session
Study Swedish in Uppsala, Sweden and meet the world Study Swedish in Uppsala, Sweden and meet the world

Uppsala International Summer Session

An amazing life experience

UISS is a program where you can learn Swedish and and live an outstanding experience. I didn't want to leave and wish I could have stayed there with all the wonderful people I met.
I couldn't thank the staff and Nelleke enough !
This trip is engraved in my heart :)

Home away from home

This program is everything that it claims to be. It is great place to learn to speak and write in Swedish, immerse yourself in Swedish culture, and have a lot fun at the same time. The first time I went into the program, I initially signed up for the 6 week program. I ended up loving it so much that I decided to stay for an additional 3 weeks. I also decided to go back a second time two years later. This is because I had so much fun getting to know the people who run the program and the other students. On top of that, Swedish improved drastically through the program. When I first started off, I barely knew a word in Swedish. But after a couple of weeks, I was able to start saying phrase and have some basic understanding. Now, I am able to hold a basic conversation. Going into this program was one of best decisions I have ever made and I hope I will get to go back again. Uppsala and this program have a special place in my heart and and it feels like my home away from home. I would highly recommend participating in the program if you want to improve your Swedish and make some great friends in the process.

The best course

I met a lot of friends and incredibles persons. In fact, nowadays I talk with a lot of persons that I met during the course. I only stayed in Uppsala for 3 weeks but I learnt a lot about Swedish culture. It were ones of the best days in my life.

Still Learning

Three weeks at the UISS was a wonderful experience. Students from a broad spectrum of demographics - age, nationality, culture, and reasons for making this choice. Total immersion in things Swedish. Heaps of fun and satisfied all objectives.

If I hadn't been here...

If I hadn't been here last summer, I wouldn't have had such a memorable experience to talk about. If I hadn't been here, I wouldn't have met so many amazing people. If I hadn't been here, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to forge all the unique friendships. If I hadn't been here, I wouldn't have gotten to know the Swedish culture and lifestyle the way they were shown to me. If I hadn't been here, I wouldn't have known how much I would have missed out...that's why I am happy and grateful that I have been here.

Fantastisk Sommar i Uppsala

Unforgettable summer in Uppsala. The courses and lessons are so relaxed that you won't notice that you're actually studying, but you'll definitely learn a lot about Swedish language and culture. And as a bonus, you'll meet great people from all around the world!

• Facilities

Three weeks that changed my personal vision of a good travel

Experienced staff members, excellent living conditions, beautiful city of Uppsala, well-organized language programmes and amazing people from all around the world all together left wonderful memories in my heart.

Fantastic all around

Truly a great experience, both in learning the Swedish language and the local culture. The provided facilities are fantastic, and the abundance of trips to Swedish hotspots, and a huge amount of traditional Swedish themed events, result in an extremely educational experience. All the teachers I have had the pleasure to study under were highly proficient, as well as being great and funny people. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a top notch course in all things Swedish.

What a wonderful world

My three-weeks experience was simply amazing! I improved a lot my Swedish skills, I met new wonderful people from all over the world and learned so much about Swedish culture and how to live like a Swede. The staff is very well organized, they organize social activities all the time to give you the possibility to know the others and explore the Swedish culture. Plus, the teachers really know what to do and the right way to make you improve your Swedish language.
This has been the most incredible adventure I have ever had and I am looking forward to come back next year!

A life-changing experience

In the UISS program, you will gain far more than just academic skills. It was my first time in Sweden, and I discovered a beautiful and welcoming country. I've made friends from all over the world and I'm still in touch with some of them. But I also got to know the country itself. It's culture and habits enthralled me, and, as most of us, my only wish is to come back there as soon as possible do learn, feel, see, hear, meet, discover and LIVE more!

Wonderful time

I had a very nice time at UISS. It was fun, informative and interesting. With this program I have laid a good foundation for the Swedish language. I also learned more about the Swedish film industry. If you are interested in the Swedish language and culture, I highly recommend this program!

Best Decision I Ever Made

Studying at Uppsala was the best decision I ever made. The things I learned there, in and outside of the classroom, changed my life. My professors and the staff are so amazing and helpful. Getting to know the other students from all over the world and learning more about their cultures has made me a more rounded individual overall. The two summers I spent at UISS were the best two summers of my life.

• Facilities

Definitely recommend and would LOVE to go back!

Studying at UISS for 9 weeks, I was able to gain a much better understanding of Swedish grammar and a lot of confidence in speaking Swedish. You will have to make an effort to speak Swedish outside of class, as English is spoken most amongst students, but there are definitely opportunities to speak Swedish with the staff and locals as well. You will get what you put into it as far as language learning. The reason I rated academics an 8 is that my last 3-week course was not as challenging as I would have liked, and I did not feel as if I made much progress in that class. My first 2 teachers, who taught the first 6 weeks, were energetic and really excellent teachers!
Apart from academics, the program has a great balance of social activities, some of which are focused on Swedish culture and language (movie showings and lectures) and some of which are focused on getting to know people in the program (scavenger hunts, pub crawls). You will not be short of opportunities to meet wonderful, open-minded people, and I definitely left Uppsala sad to leave a great group of friends behind.
The living situation depends on what kind of room you select. If you live in a corridor, there will be many other UISS students nearby as well as several Swedish students. If you choose one of the other options, you may be more isolated. Uppsala is very walkable and bike-friendly though, so you will likely be about a 15 minute walk away from other students.
The reason I rated the campus a 9 is that wifi was not always reliable. Since wifi is not guaranteed with housing, this was a bit inconvenient at times. Overall, though, the staff were active about resolving wifi problems.

A Must for Anyone Interested in Swedish Culture

UISS is a program that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in the Swedish language and culture! I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Uppsala and would definitely consider coming back for another summer!

My summer in Uppsala

Hej allihopa! I would like to say how was my holiday in Sweden with UISS. I met many people from different countries and all together we get involved in the life and culture of this nation, with the help of teachers and also from the staff! They are all extremely qualified and they're likely to follow and give their support. I shared adventures, felt emotions, knew many interessant things, made new friends and saw some things new to me. I spent a great summer with extraordinary people and I came back with good memories and the hope to visit again Uppsala, school included!

• Facilities

European mobility at its best

I attended the course of Swedish as a part of our staff mobility programme at work. As I teach Swedish back home I wanted to experience the Swedish culture and get to know native Swedes and their traditions in real life. The course managed to fill my expectations completely. I'd recommend it to anyone at all. In addition to the language course you get to participate in the fun afternoon classes as a bonus. I personally loved the drama course. It really was the place to put yourself on the spot and test your Swedish skills in practice. I'm also grateful for the opportunity to get to know so many people from Sweden and across the world. This summer course was a very valuable experience for me. At the same time it was an active family vacation as my husband wished to travel with me and brush up his Swedish skills as well:).

Se Uppsala och sedan dö

My time at the Uppsala International Summer Session was amazing. The organisation of the program was well thought out and there were a lot of interesting activities to get people to know each other. The lessons in the morning were elaborate and taught by very competent teachers. There was also a broad field of different activities to choose from for the afternoon classes. Even though the program takes place during the holidays for the local students, hell was always loose on the weekends and even on the weeknights. Varios trips to different areas of Sweden brought us close to the Swedish culture.
Whenever you are considering a language stay in Sweden, UISS is the first place to go!

Uppsala International Summer Session 2015

UISS was an amazing experience for me. After having studied Swedish for a large part of my young adult life, going on UISS was extremely rewarding and helped me really cement my language abilities as well as get a truly authentic cultural experience. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in studying Swedish, regardless of their level in the language. Even for someone who knows nothing of Swedish but is looking for an amazing cultural and educational experience in an amazing country this program is a perfect choice. The staff and teachers and extremely friendly, caring, and personable, and of course they are extremely knowledgeable and great at teaching their students. The activities the program puts on are extremely fun and great for creating close bonds between the students. Uppsala is an amazing city and the program does a great job of introducing you to it. I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

General

I really have no complaints for the program. I've participated in UISS for 2 summers, a 6 week session both times, and I'm certainly planning on going in the future, BUT it will be for 9 weeks cause this program is that awesome. Overall, a great program for people wanting to learn Swedish. The classes are amazing. The campus may not be the nicest, but it works and that's all you can ask for. The living situation is good, exactly how a student at Uppsala University would be living. It can be difficult to get to know the swedes, but overall you will learn a lot about the Swedish culture and get to know it well. Administration and health and safety is good as well, no complaints there.

• Facilities

It makes you really want to come back every summer

The experience I had at the Uppsala international summer School was one of the happiest I ever had. The teachers, the program, the staff: everything was perfect. This course really gave me the chance to make new friends, plus, it gave me the possibility to appreciate the swedish culture all the more by learning the language and having really interesting and funny trips with the School. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Every summer, if I could.

Summer in Sweden

I stumbled upon the program by accident and was unsure what to expect. However, I'm very glad I applied as it was a fantastic experience. The immersion in Swedish society along with the field trips provided are a great way to experience Sweden. The classes were also brilliant; relaxed and a great learning environment. Anyone with a interest in Sweden or the Swedish language should apply - a truly great experience!

A lifetime experience

No matter how old you are or where you come from UISS is the right course to improve your swedish. Uppsala has the right size to offer all you need and at the same time not to get lost. Already been twice!

Enjoyable and Educational

Learning Swedish for six weeks in Uppsala was a great experience. Meeting all kinds of great people, discovering a truly fascinating Sweden and not least having fun while learning a new language is what made it one of the most memorable summer vacations.

A+

Overall a challenging and unforgettable experience, both academically and socially. A great opportunity to test and improve my previous knowledge, to enjoy cultural diversity and expand my horizons. Hoping to return to beautiful Uppsala some day.

Same

Learned so much. Fluency much improved as well as grammar and vocabulary. Excellently prepared, organised and engaging tuition. Also enjoyed learning about the etymology of the language and relationship to Icelandic. Swedish film intellectually stimulating and provocative,