Uppsala International Summer Session
Study Swedish in Uppsala, Sweden and meet the world Study Swedish in Uppsala, Sweden and meet the world

Uppsala International Summer Session

Amazing and fruitful experience

I have tried learning Swedish unsuccessfully with some of those apps and online courses that teach you mainly close to meaningless sentences as ‘the dog loves cornflakes’ or ‘grandma is running’.
It was useful for perhaps learning some words and detach a little from the ground level, but as we all know, the real deal is to be in loco and get accustomed to a language while living and interact with real people.
So I decided to look around on the internet for possible solutions to be squeezed into my holidays.
9 weeks was exactly what I was pointing to, in order to maximize the results.
ACCOMMODATION SOLUTIONS IN SWEDEN
Sweden is an expensive country and on one hand rather bureaucratically hostile when it comes to accommodations for people without a person-number (their sort of ID and tax all-in-one number) and also very expensive, especially when it comes to temporary private accommodation solutions.
As a matter of fact, the formula ‘all inclusive’ was indeed what took my attention first, and I believe everyone should be after that.
Doing the math, considering hours of teaching, previous reviews, accommodation etcetera, it looked like a very honest price for Sweden and the only course with this length and options which could make it worth to take such a step. But looking around, there are actually very few alternatives.
I sent my application and decided to invest in that course during my summer vacations.
The whole organization is super efficient, flexible and impossible for anyone to get into trouble. Before and after the start of the course all inquiries are processed and problems solved. The director of the course is a catalyst for problems and her experience makes them dissolve even before bothering to find a solution.
PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Before arrival, the entire main logistical info is sent in due time by e-mail. Given the fact that I had a particularly difficult situation with payments to foreign banks, I had plenty of email exchanges with the staff before admission and I did receive answers promptly, once even 3 minutes after my inquiry. And I am being serious.
ARRIVAL
The accommodation was the first thing I came in touch with. It is located in a perfect central area with a building fully equipped with everything. It was so well equipped I didn’t even use all the stuff I could have used.
My room was just what I wanted and needed, equipped with also a tv I never used + a dvd player, an in-room kitchen used 5 – 6 times which was just spot on in case for a day or two one doesn’t feel like cooking in the common kitchen.
All students are provided with prefixed student cards that will allow them to enter the local student unions.

• Facilities

UISS is a wonderful program!

UISS is an excellent program. The language instruction alone makes it worth the trip. The classes are rigorous and fast-paced. It is easy to see improvement in speaking and comprehension after just one week. I remember loving the program and learning a lot twenty years ago, but this time I really experienced the specialness of the program. There is a warm, generous, open feeling in the air that starts with Nelleke, the director, and goes through the staff and all the students. There is a real sense of togetherness that is helped in large part to having fika (coffee break with snacks) and lunch together every day as well as the many evening and weekend get togethers. There are people of all ages from all over the world and everyone mixes quite well. I especially got a lot out of my afternoon class (Improving your Swedish through Theater and Music). It was very active with lots of theater games and songs and it was actually the most challenging thing I did. Most people in that class were at I higher level than I was but our teacher was excellent at making the class a place where you could take risks and push past your comfort zone. There is lots of singing the entire time at UISS and it is great because everyone participates with great enthusiasm. I'm not one to jump into group singing in the United States, but at UISS, the enthusiasm is really catching and I found myself participating with great gusto. I really did not want to leave at the end. I'm already trying to figure out when I can come back!

An integral quality learning

Everything is great in all the senses for the summer session course, the organization of it, the cultural experience, the great environment, the highly qualified teachers, the school facilities, the housing, the friendly environment and the knowledge acquired both cultural and language.

Definitely this is a great experience in case you really want to be immersed into the culture, language and every day life in Sweden, due the social activities, excursions, weekend trips and the evening classes which will allow you to know and understand a lot more about the aspects of the society and how a lot of things work in the country.

There is a lot to say about it to describe the great experience, to summarize it definitely I'll attend the next summer session.

Review

It was a great experience to learn Swedish and meet new people from all over the world at the same time. The teachers and the staff were really nice and helpful. I was there for the first time and I look forward to do it again.

Wonderful summer programme

If you are looking for a memorable way to spend your summer, you wouldn't want to miss UISS. The director and the staff as well as the teachers are very friendly, and one of the best parts of this programme is the social & cultural activities prepared by the staff. The experience of being Typically Swedish was filled with fun and excitement!

Groupe experience

It's incredible how many interesting people one meets in such short time and one learns a lot of Swedish simultaneously. The program provides many occasions to connect to people from different countries and a very open atmosphere makes the contact very easy.

• Facilities

Great program for learning Swedish language and culture

We had language courses in the morning and culture courses in the afternoon. It was a very nice balance, and helped to keep up the tension and enthusiasm the whole 3 weeks.:) Also the culture programs(Uppsala tour, crayfish party, pubcrawl etc.) gave me a great introduction and some insight to the local society. It was a great opportunity to get closer with classmates, and made the whole experience much more fun and exciting.

What should I say ?

Very open and commited staff, demanding but accessible teachers, amazing students, warm atmosphere : my 3 weeks at UISS have definitely been a huge breath. My Swedish has made a great leap forward whereas I could still go to nations with different people almost every night. The balance between studies and nations was just perfect, as I haven't felt studying hard while still making real progress. Moreover, students came from different countries in the entire world, were very enthusiastic, and the staff was just going out with the students. Once you've been through UISS, you'll never forget it - and in a good way.

• Facilities

Good organisation and a varied programm

I really enjoyed staying with the UISS for three weeks and would have very much liked to stay longer! The whole programm was very well organised and offered the participants a lot of different activities and alternatives which should not be taken for granted.

Simply fantastic!

After visiting already a few language schools all over the world, I have to say that UISS is truly something special. Obviously, the courses, the accommodation, the social events were all great. However, what really sets the school apart from other language courses I have visited so far, is the amount of heart everyone involved puts into this program. Therefore, I can definitely recommend everyone who has an interest in learning Swedish to attend UISS.

• Facilities

Great experience overall and very worth it!

The classes were great, the staff was super nice and the extra activities and the surroundings were also great. There was no time to get bored, there is always something to do. The atmosphere is wonderful and everyone seems to be so respectful and happy. The town was great to get lost into, everything is so close and there are so many things to do. You get to learn a lot of Swedish in both the morning and afternoon classes and even with the friends that you make at the school.

UISS 2017

Overall wonderful experience! I would definitely return in the future and would recommend this program to many others. This summer was great for the opportunity to explore the world and learn more Swedish culture and language.

• Facilities

All in all highly commendable!

I left the summer session having studied and learnt lots of interesting and useful things as far as the Swedish language, culture and society are concerned. And I'm certainly thinking of planning to attend a further summer session.

UISS

The course was brilliant in terms of my Swedish. I had 2 very good teachers so I learnt a lot. All the activities that were planned were meaningful and fun. The social evening turned out to be a very silly evening of completing tasks in town and I did not want to take part in it on account of my age. I had booked an apartment and paid extra for it. That apartment was very basic and not nice at all. I would have been better off staying with the others in the student accommodation. But that was the only downside. Otherwise it was all fantastic, interesting and value for money. I'd recommend the course without hesitation.

Uppsala 2017

UISS is a wonderful way to study Swedish, meet new people, enjoy lots of coffee with cinnamon buns and experience life in Uppsala. Once you have been there, you definitely do not want to go back home anymore.

• Facilities

The best three weeks ever

I had the best three weeks ever!
I've learned a lot and I'm sure this experience is going to help me with my university.
I've also met people from all around the world and right now I do miss them.
The UISS staff is amazing,they are all so friendly and if you have a problem they do everything they can to help you solving it.

I'm really grateful!

it was my first time in Sweden and I did love everything.

A great experience

I met so many great people from all over the world and learned so much! The trips were really fun and a great experience. I would really like to come back next year. It was the best time of my life :)

B1 Swedish in Uppsala

I can highly recommend UISS. In 6 weeks I progressed from a mid A2 student to a solid B1. I can now have lengthy conversations with Swedish speaking Finns understanding various accents and pronunciation.

Amazing trip !

I had an excellent holiday in Uppsala ! Friendly staff, really well organised trips ! The bedroom was really close to the school. Having a common kitchen, a laundry area and a gym allowed me to meet new people.

Excellent experience

Anyone who wants to learn Swedish language will find superior instruction, a supportive, welcoming staff, interesting extracurricular activities and an all-round top-notch program at UISS. An excellent experience.

Best language school ever

Best teachers and staff. It's the best language School to improve your Swedish language skills, there are also well-organized trips to visit Sweden with guides included. But unfortunately the costs are too High and the whole experience is too expensive but it worth it. You will enjoy it!

Love Sweden thanks to UISS

Being a UISS student was the best experience that I could have had. Everyone was very kind and respectful each other. At the beginning, I was afraid of being one of the few people from latin America however they were so kind and friendly with me that I felt Uppsala as my home and UISS members as my family.

A super experience

This is a unique program that you won't find anywhere else in Sweden. This organization puts together, food, housing and studies in one package. They've been doing this for years and have it down to a fine science. Not only will you be learning Swedish & Swedish culture, you will be meeting people of varying ages from all over the world. It's a first rate program.

An amazing life experience

UISS is a program where you can learn Swedish and and live an outstanding experience. I didn't want to leave and wish I could have stayed there with all the wonderful people I met.
I couldn't thank the staff and Nelleke enough !
This trip is engraved in my heart :)

Home away from home

This program is everything that it claims to be. It is great place to learn to speak and write in Swedish, immerse yourself in Swedish culture, and have a lot fun at the same time. The first time I went into the program, I initially signed up for the 6 week program. I ended up loving it so much that I decided to stay for an additional 3 weeks. I also decided to go back a second time two years later. This is because I had so much fun getting to know the people who run the program and the other students. On top of that, Swedish improved drastically through the program. When I first started off, I barely knew a word in Swedish. But after a couple of weeks, I was able to start saying phrase and have some basic understanding. Now, I am able to hold a basic conversation. Going into this program was one of best decisions I have ever made and I hope I will get to go back again. Uppsala and this program have a special place in my heart and and it feels like my home away from home. I would highly recommend participating in the program if you want to improve your Swedish and make some great friends in the process.