USAC SPAIN: Valencia - Spanish Language, Culture, & Business
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC SPAIN: Valencia - Spanish Language, Culture, & Business

Life at its fullest

My year in Valencia was endlessly satisfying. I chose to find my own housing, and I ended up living in an Airbnb for the whole year. I lived on the top floor of my building in a lovely neighborhood. I bought fruits and vegetables from Ana, the vendor downstairs. I walked 25 minutes to school along a major street, greeting vendors as I passed by on my daily route. Sometimes I biked to school with the Valenbisi, navigating the streets and the old women inching along with their grandchildren. In school I was in small, personalized curses. The teachers were excited to be using their English. Courses were offered in a variety of disciplines: STEM, communications, Spanish, art, Engineering, etc- as well as Dances of Spain, Sailing in the Mediterranean, and Spanish Cuisine. The campus is beautiful and large, offering sports, gyms, exercise and dance classes, a pool, and much more. The campus allowed for ample opportunities to meet students. Valencia is the ideal city for study abroad. It has a vibrant history of Erasmus students, so the student life is rich with diversity and expansive outside of school. There are many hubs to visit where everyone goes for a drink and some conversation. Dancing, frolicking on the beach, getting lost in the old city, having dinner in Benimaclet, visiting La Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias, and taking a stroll through El Río Turía were daily thrills. I was able to make a community for myself in which I practiced my Spanish and my French daily, sometimes balancing the two languages at the front of my mind throughout a whole night out. I made incredible, lifelong friends with people from Spain, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Argentina, Morocco, France, Italy, Germany, England, Norway, Finland, South Korea, Belgium, and more. I traveled with them, cooked with them, danced with them, swam with them, and sometimes shared quiet moments with them. I traveled during many of the breaks, but I often made the decision to stay in Valencia, as I wanted to grow closer to my city. I wanted to know every part of it and spend time with all of her people. I felt a conscious happiness fill me when I walked through my streets, knowing my way, and sometimes coming across people who I had met the night before. I was always supported by the USAC staff, and I even had the chance to work in several schools teaching English. I felt at home in Valencia. I felt as though I was living my life to the fullest.

Study abroad

USAC was a great program. I studied in Spain and learned a lot of Spanish and met so many people. The program ran smoothly and I never had any problems with the administration. They always made sure we were safe and having a good time. I really enjoyed living in Spain and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about going abroad.

Study abroad semester in Valencia!

I had an amazing time in Valencia, Espana! My time abroad changed my life. I met so many new friends, learned how to live in a foreign country, and improved my Spanish DRAMATICALLY! The location of the apartment is great, right in the city center surrounded by all different types of good restaurants! The dance and cooking classes were so fun and the program advisors Sara and Sylvia are the sweetest and most helpful ladies ever! El Carmen is a fun area to go out in and the airport is easily accessed by a cheap 15 minute metro ride. It was so easy to become friends with everyone in the program and the teachers were excellent. Shoutout to Prof. Jose and Prof. Paula! Overall, my experience there was one of a kind and I 100% recommend everyone to study abroad there!

Semester in Spain

Studying abroad is an amazing and unique experience, and I'm so glad I chose to do my semester in Valencia, Spain! Valencia is a beautiful city on the coast with tons of fun events happening all the time. The USAC program in Valencia has a good selection of fun and useful classes and a great staff to help with everything. Valencia has a well connected airport, so weekend trips all around Europe are easy to plan. But make sure you spend plenty of time exploring Valencia and the rest of Spain! I would definitely recommend this program!