USAC SPAIN: Bilbao/Getxo - International Business & Spanish
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC SPAIN: Bilbao/Getxo - International Business & Spanish

Whirl wind change

Studying abroad is a life changing experience. Not only because you are traveling and broadening your horizons but because you go through an internal battle where you hit low points, but learn to appreciate the high ones. You, hopefully, embrace change and learn to adapt and grow. USAC was my choice of program because it offered more help from the program staff. I'd never flown before or been out of the States besides some trips to México, so by no means was I an experienced traveler. USAC was there to receive and answer my questions. They took care a lot of the process for me and made applying easy. Bilbao became home to me. The other students and I became a small little family and I made friends i wouldn’t have if I’d been in the states. Studying abroad was the chance for me to transform my mind and my soul. I came back to the States more comfortable with myself and more confident of my career path. I had the chance to teach English in a local secondary school and I loved it. It wasn’t easy, but it was so satisfying to surprise my students with my Spanish at the end of the semester. I’d made it my mission to have them believe I spoke zero Spanish. My roommates became family. One is from Japan, one from Bermuda and our honorary Roomate from Idaho. We became an interesting little “quadrilla”. Never in my life would I have believed I’d have friends worldwide. Students that study abroad talk about change, we can’t help it, but it’s not all about physical change. Most of it happens on the inside. Change doesn’t happen with easy times, the hardships helped reform me into a better person and My goal is to go back to my home again and visit.

The greatest adventure

I highly recommend this program to anyone wanting to study abroad that is in Business. It is the best of both worlds. You are able to gain credit towards your major, while immersing yourself in a completely different culture and language. I lived with a homestay family, and I loved it! They were so welcoming and kind and really became my home away from home. I can't say enough about the USAC staff either. They were all amazing and very helpful. They cared to learn about how you were adjusting and wanted to help make your time their the best it could be. I am so happy I had this experience, I met amazing friends from all over the US and the world and I have opened my mind to various walks of life, accepting everyone. I loved my teacher Rosana! I learned more from her in one semester than I had previously taking 4 years of Spanish in the past. The food was AMAZING, and the coffee was fantastic. I will always have a special place in my heart for Bilbao, and the Spanish culture, and I can't wait to go back!

• University Studies Abroad Consortium responded to this review February 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience abroad! We're so happy to hear you loved Bilbao, it is an amazing place!

Bilbao = The Best 5 Months of my life

People always say that studying abroad will be the time of your life, and I always hoped they are right, but I was not going to believe it until I found out for myself. Now, after returning to the U.S. about a month ago, I can agree that it was the best time of my life. Studying with USAC in Bilbao/Getxo was nothing short of amazing. I got to live right on near the beach in Getxo, and school was just a quick metro ride into the city. I lived with the best local family who spoke Spanish with me all the time and really improved my Spanish. Words cannot describe the amazing USAC staff, friends, and locals you'll meet in your time abroad, and I am already planning my trip back to Bilbao!

The greatest 4 months of my life

Words cannot even describe how amazing this experience was. With the support of USAC, I found myself in an incredible city (seriously. Bilbao is my new favorite place in the world) surrounded by interesting and amazing individuals from all over the US, with passionate teachers and a wonderful staff. I was provided with weekly opportunities to see and explore Bilbao, and USAC helped provide intercambios so I could meet and become friends with local students. That was probably one of the best parts, I can now proudly say I have friends all over the world. The classes were definitely work, but the amount of Spanish I learned in just 4 months is unbelievable. I came in having just finished the 200 level at my home university, and returned able to hold conversations and transferred into the 400 level. I felt right at home from the very first week. My apartment was beautiful and wonderfully located (only a 5 minute walk from the beach) and just writing about it now I'm dying to go back. I cannot suggest studying through USAC and in Bilbao enough. If you are looking to learn Spanish, I highly advise going to a smaller, lesser known city because...well there are 0 american tourists. You will be forced to speak Spanish wherever you go, and I can't imagine a better learning opportunity.

Take me back to Bilbao!!

An Awesome Experience

I took the International Management Class, first session, and it was an awesome experience! A visiting teacher from Clemson University came and he was an awesome teacher. The workload was very appropriate for a three week session. Bilbao is a beautiful city! There is great shopping and incredible sights to see!

Immerse yourself in the Basque country! It is so different from what I expected. The culture is so strong and do not be afraid to step out of the box and do something you are not used to. One of the best experience I have had in college!

The most amazing time

I have had the most amazing time in Bilbao! Bilbao is by no means a small town, but a small break from the more popular tourist destinations like Barcelona and Madrid. I have been taking upper division Spanish classes and the work load has been appropriate for our study abroad experience and the teachers understand that we are here for the full cultural experience as well.

I am currently living with a host family and I HIGHLY recommend it. My host mom takes great care of me - feeds me three times a day, washes my laundry, and offers great advice.

I am completely immersed in the Spanish and Basque culture everyday!

The administrations is amazing! They go above and beyond any expectations! They give travel help and advise as well as local things to do in town.

Overall, I love it here and would not want to go anywhere else in Spain.

Definitely visit or study abroad in the summer or fall to experience the beach life!

It’s my fault my rating isn’t a perfect 10

In order to get a perfect 10, I would’ve stayed in a home stay with a family. The purpose of me going was to learn Spanish and living in an apartment with another English speaker was not the beat route. I loved having the duality of homey Getxo and the city of Bilbao a short train ride away. The administration was beyond helpful and ready to do whatever it takes. I wish I was there for a semester instead of the summer so I could’ve been in this program longer. My teacher, Kontxa, was so sweet and our class only had 4 students so she really taught us one-on-one. Plus, Spain is beautiful and rich and I would go back in a second.

An alternative to Barcelona and Madrid worth looking into

The Basque Country is unlike any other part of Spain. You can only experience it fully by taking advantage of a study abroad program and living, studying, and working in the heart of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain. I highly recommend USAC, as they are very organized and the professors are excellent! I lived with other American students and lived within walking distance of school and almost everything. You get the beach, the city, history, culture, it all with Bilbao.

España

I had a wonderful experience with the USAC program in Bilbao, I lived in a homestay with a Spanish mother who was very accommodating, sweet, and made my whole trip everything I could have dreamed of. The program itself was well organized, the classes were a bit shaky to start but the whole semester turned out to be full of surprises and made it a very insightful and culturally.