USAC ENGLAND: Reading - Full Curricullum
University Studies Abroad Consortium participants University Studies Abroad Consortium participants

USAC ENGLAND: Reading - Full Curricullum

Reading Study Abroad

I went to the Reading, England program with USAC. It was a great program because it gave me an opportunity to really immerse myself in British culture since it was a partnership program. All my classes were through University of Reading, and I am a Microbiology major. I would highly recommend this program for those majoring in a science. There are so many opportunities and cool classes you can take at Reading Uni. It’s also a beautiful city that is only a half hour train ride from London.

Wonder and fulfillment

My study abroad experience changed my life. Before I left my home in Minnesota, I was shy and sheltered. I had never flown or left the country and even when I moved to college my best friend came with me. I had never been on my own. So to be thrown onto a plane flying to another country all alone was terrifying, but it was also the reason for the single greatest experience of my life.

The University of Reading was my home for three months. I joined the football (soccer) team, spent countless pounds on coffee, and met some fantastic people who I remain in steady contact with today. Joining football was a good decision on my part. I was nervous at first, but that team supplied me with the best costume parties, dance nights, and football matches I've ever had.

When I was not in Reading, my home away from home, I was traveling Europe. This is the part everyone who even considers studying abroad is excited for. I was nervous about traveling alone, but was fortunate enough to make some friends who were from the United States and Australia. We started in France, then went to Ireland, Greece, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands. These trips were spread throughout the three months I was in Europe. I must say, while studying abroad is meant to be about studying, traveling the world is so fulfilling as well. I learned an incredible amount of life skills and a lot about myself as well.

Some say three months in a foreign country is too long, some say it is too short, but it was the perfect amount of time for me. By the time December rolled around I was homesick for my family and friends. I knew my time in England was finished, but that the many memories I made would last me a lifetime. Now that is not to say I am not dying to go back to Europe, but my time there affected my life in ways I never imagined. I am more outgoing now, and find myself taking chances to travel and explore new things. I absolutely urge anyone who is even slightly interested in studying abroad to take a chance. No matter where you decide to study I promise it will give you a sense of wonder and fulfillment you didn't even know you needed.