Summer course of digital photography in Florence
TheDarkroom Academy Firenze Header Image TheDarkroom Academy Firenze Header Image

Summer course of digital photography in Florence

Florence is begging for your camera's attention

Florence, Italy is a city that needs to be visually savored. Often tourists just buzz through in a day or two taking in the museums, Michelangelo's David, and the Ponte Vecchio. But there is SO much more to see. I have been photographing on film for years, but I wanted to get the most of my new DSLR camera, plus have a more social experience than running around the city taking photos on my own.

I pretty much signed up for the program last minute, having found that The Darkroom Academy was the best value. The administration was able to find me a charming attic apartment where I had my bedroom and bathroom, and shared the kitchen and small living room with one of the Academy's videography students from Cyprus. The neighborhood had all the conveniences, was in a safe area, and was minutes from the Campo di Marte station.

In the class, there was a good mix of lecture and time spent working on our photography projects. The instructors are very high caliber who still work professionally and have an incredible breadth of experience in photographic styles from art photography to photo-journalism to architectural photography and everything in between. Because they have been active in the field for decades they have expertise in more than one photographic field.

One of the things I really appreciated about this class was the instructors' effort to set a tone of cooperation and supportiveness among the students rather than competition. And no matter how busy our day was walking around Florence, or driving around Tuscany and beyond, we always took time to share coffee and pastries together every day and exchange our thoughts about how the day was going.