The Umbra Institute - Perugia
The Umbra Institute Header Image The Umbra Institute Header Image

The Umbra Institute - Perugia

Era Molto Buono!

Going to Perugia with out any background in Italian was scary... until I met the locals! They all encouraged us students to practice and use our growing language skills. Learning the language (and any other subjects) was super fun with the small class sizes and community engagement activities. Being able to meet and work with the community made my experience 10 times better than it already was. It gave me the opportunity to makes friends and learn more about the Italian culture. During these class excursions, the instructors would give us little tidbits about things they love about Perugia. The small class sizes and kindness from the staff made me feel at home, and is one of the biggest reasons I loved my experience in Perugia.

The land of opportunity and adventure

Umbra is located in one of the most charming cities in the world. Each day, a new adventure existed whether it be exploring the hilly city or traveling outside of it using tips provided by the wonderful Umbra faculty and staff. Perugia is centrally located, making it very easy to travel virtually anywhere in Europe. While studying at Umbra, I was offered many opportunities for community engagement and inclusiveness including working with local companies as well as participating in social activities such as Tandem. The faculty and staff were absolutely amazing mentors and they were always willing to help and answer questions. Student activities such as pizza making, pizza and pasta nights, wine tasting among other things allowed students to implement themselves into the Italian culture and take a step into unfamiliar territory. Academics were up to my expectations, as I kept busy in each of my courses and was still faced with some challenges. Umbra introduced me to an amazing place and even more amazing people. I have have friends from all of the world, and am so thankful the connections I made while abroad. The experience is one that will leave a footprint on my heart, and I would recommend the Institute and program to anyone who is seeking a genuine study abroad experience in an amazing city.

Perugia è la mia città

I went without knowing a single word in Italian. Perugia is a small city, and the locals love it when you try to speak Italian. Which makes it a great place to practice what you learn. There is also a definite connection between Umbra and the community, which I am grateful to experience! The classes all have an out of the classroom experience to go along with them, so you will get to explore Italy with professors who know what they are talking about too! There are also weekends to explore Italy as well as the rest of Europe. Don't worry to much about risks while traveling because the staff will know where you are as long as you have filled out a travel form. Even if you don't want to travel every weekend there's so much to do in Perugia, with the community!

Once in a lifetime experience

I have always wanted to live and study in Italy, but I did not realize how much value was added to my experience by picking Perugia until I arrived there. I am so glad I made the decision to go to Perugia rather than a bigger or more touristy Italian city. Perugia is a town filled with pure magic. Expect to know baristas, bartenders, shop owners, and other locals on first name basis by the time you leave. It felt like home. The staff and community at Umbra do such an amazing job enhancing this already amazing experience. My friends and professors at Umbra became my "study abroad family"; there are special relationships fostered through the experience of living in a foreign town with other people like you. Mi manchi, Perugia!

Ti Amo Perugia!

This is such a great city to study abroad in. Unlike most American college cities in Italy, I believe this one is the most authentic. The people that live here are lively, never a dull Saturday night...unless it's raining. There's always something going on in the Piazza! The food is good and the scenic views seem unreal.

The school is small and intimate, which is great for a learning environment. The faculty and staff are always available to lend a helping hand. The community service projects are a great way to get involved in the culture and the workshops teach skills that we can bring back to the States.

I couldn't have chosen a better place to study abroad.

Little school, little city, giant opportunity

Thanks to the Umbra Institute's small size and the nurturing relationship between its faculty and staff and its students, this program provides an intimate and malleable experience. Perugia, in some ways personal and remote, is also full of opportunities. To name just a few: a close proximity to Tuscany, an easily accessible rock climbing gym, nearby day hikes, two other universities and their students, and local organizations that promote fair trade or sustainable agriculture. Not to mention, for music fanatics, Perugia is the jazz capital of Europe! I would absolutely recommend the program to a friend.