School of Teaching ESL (Seattle) - TESOL/TEFL Certificate
The School of Teaching ESL Header Image The School of Teaching ESL Header Image

School of Teaching ESL (Seattle) - TESOL/TEFL Certificate

In good hands with S-TESL

I took the Fall 2016 Intensive TESOL course with Denny Sargent. Both the course itself and the school's administration were outstanding. I felt like I got a ton of practical, useful knowledge to use in an ESL classroom. And when I did get into an ESL classroom (I'm an EPIK teacher now), it turns out I was right.

One thing I'm particularly thankful to Denny for is steering me (us) away from bad teaching habits like excessive teacher talk. I'm proud to say I know how to shut the hell up and let my students talk.

Unless things have changed hugely in the last year, you can expect to be in good hands. Plus, applying for Master's credit is easy--you should be able to get 12 credits towards a MA TESOL at SPU or other universities if they accept the credits.

S-Tesol, 2005

Fabulous training for teaching ESL. Fully prepared me to get into a classroom and "teach" with skills learned through S-TESOL. I took these month-long intensive classes while finishing my M.Ed degree at Seattle University in 2005. I have been teaching in an Intensive English program at community college in San Jose, CA for 10 years. Still using skills learned "back then"!

Great experience earning ELL endorsement

I would not be the teacher I am today without the experience at STESL-Seattle. The teachers there are experienced, helpful, and motivated to help you reach your best potential. I am so thankful for the relationship with Seattle Pacific University. I was able to add the ELL endorsement to my elementary endorsement with the master's program there. SPU couldn't have chosen a better organization to partner with.

Great program

Great professors. Great students. Great program. Every person in the program tries to make it as good as it can be and I have no doubt it has helped prepare me for the real world of ESL teaching.

More than anything though, what makes this program so good is its laser-focus on preparing its students to find jobs and to become great teachers. It also helps that it has such a strong reputation world-wide and that so many of its students hold high level positions at so many schools.

I had heard nothing but great things before I began and all proved true. My only caveat is that you had better prepared to work hard for your grades because this program is not easy.

ESL teaching--a group experience

There were many aspects of our spring intensive TESOL class that made it different and better from other classes I have taken. One aspect I most appreciated was how Denny, our instructor, worked to have us form supportive interpersonal relationships among class members, serving as an example for how we might do this with our own students. Every day he changed who we were sitting next to. He had us write illustrated biographies of each other, and these were assembled to make a booklet for each of us about our classmates. He had us work in groups, each time changing who worked with whom. He had students of varying abilities and experience in each group, so that we could help each other. When we designed lessons, we made copies for everyone in the class so we all left with sets of ready-to-use lesson plans. We each demonstrated teaching, with our classmates as our students. This was a powerful way to teach us how to build helpful, supportive relationships among students in a classroom, and our group photo taken on the last day of class is one that I treasure.

Fantastic

After teaching two years in Korea, I attended S-TESL in 1995. Immediately following completion I returned to Korea and taught in a variety of institutions (public school and university) until I returned home in 2000. The S-TESL programs are well grounded in reality and provide the tools necessary to succeed as a teacher in challenging, new positions.

• Course Instructor

How many ways can you say, "I love S-TESL?"

I really feel as if I owe my professional success to S-TESL. I find myself saying something like this to colleagues over and over again. And I can't think of a week that goes by that I don't at least once stop and think, "Boy, am I glad I learned this at S-TESL!" I seem to be so much better trained in actual method and practice than my colleagues who attended elsewhere. And each time one of them asks me, "Where did you learn that?!" I'm always happy and grateful to say, "I learned it when I attended S-TESL in Seattle. I learned a ton from that program!"

Dip your toes into TESOL

I did the 4 week intensive to receive my TESOL certificate after my undergraduate degree and was very pleased with the experience! I went off to work for about 2 years and then decided to head back to complete my TESOL masters at another university. S-TESL inspired me to further my studies in English Language Education and has always continued to support my professional development using the S-TESL alumni network!