Public Health Improvement, Uganda
The Real Uganda Header Image The Real Uganda Header Image

Public Health Improvement, Uganda

Amazing Experience

I volunteered with The Real Uganda for two months as an undergraduate. I had never been anywhere in Africa or even outside of my home country by myself before that. Leslie was an amazing administrator and made me feel comfortable and prepared coming into the program, answering every email I sent in the weeks and even days leading up to it extremely quickly. She works very hard to ensure that each volunteer is given the opportunity to do something meaningful and relevant to their interests and also to just experience life in Uganda. I was placed with an organization that focuses mainly on health and education which enabled me to get involved with a wide variety of activities, from helping with mobile health clinics and a peer mentorship program to reading with kids. Through The Real Uganda, I made Ugandan friends with whom I still keep in touch and had an experience that still influences the way I see and think about the world.

Health Education Outreach

I cannot say enough good things about Uganda, The Real Uganda, and Leslie as a program director! I arrived in Uganda feeling completely prepared. I was provided with an email for any questions which were answered promptly and thoroughly, I had a checklist of things I needed (from bug spray to health insurance) and just enough information about the culture that I knew what to expect. Leslie encourages all of her volunteers to be extremely open-minded and honest with themselves about what they can expect out of your volunteer experience.

Leslie does a wonderful job about being aware of many of the concerns I had as a volunteer such as (Is this a sustainable program? Where does the money go? Am I going to be a drain on anyone's expenses or resources?) She was more than willing to sit down with me whenever I needed to talk about these issues. She provided me with stories and experiences she has had with the Ugandan people that have allowed her to approach things in a sustainable way that provides lasting benefits to the communities volunteers work with.

Personally I worked through The Real Uganda with two other grassroots organizations in the area as a Health Educator. The first two months of my experience I worked in several different remote communities "Educating Educators" on how to provide health education, limit the transmission of disease and promote overall health. The last month I worked throughout the same 4 community groups on rotation. Through these experiences I learned about being an effective educator in a culturally diverse population, worked with hard-working grassroots organizations, and gained a thorough understanding of the culture, people, food, travel, and problems of Uganda.

I consider this experience the most rewarding learning experience of my life and would 10/10 participate in any program as wonderful as The Real Uganda.