Study Abroad in Bhutan with Naropa University
Naropa University Header Image Naropa University Header Image

Study Abroad in Bhutan with Naropa University

Making memories

I studied at the College of Natural Resources for two semesters! The program is for one semester but I enjoyed it so much that I applied to come back a second time. At this college I found many lessons inside and outside the classrooms!

An environmental degree was supported at this college as I was able to take classes from academics in the field.. many of whom are conducting environmental research in their home country of Bhutan. This program was my first exposure to partaking in academic research which got me outside the classroom and talking to locals about agriculture and the issues of food security (which was my topic of choice).

The student life is really fun! I'll be missing cooking spicy meals with friends and going for walks in the forest. There is a nunnery up above the college that I visited often for morning and evening prayer. I'll be happy knowing that more international students will have the opportunity to visit Bhutan and adventure around the Punakha valley :)

Please don't miss out on this experience. If you are thinking about it, I say do it! I almost dropped out of the program because I was worried about finances. Because of scholarships from my home university and the Gilman International Scholarship, I was able to go on this journey! Here is the link to the Gilman webpage: https://gilmanapplication.iie.org/

journey of a lifetime

Deciding to study abroad in Bhutan was one of the best decisions I may have ever made. I miss it every day and had the most incredible experience thanks to the amazing community and family I was welcomed into with open arms, the support and guidance of Naropa's Anne Parker, the beautiful Himalayas, cultural richness, and time. I could go on for a long time about the amazing journey that was this trip, the ups and downs, and the growth within myself I didn't know possible. I learned so much and by the end of the immersion, didn't want to leave. It was a challenging program, I would be lying if I said every day was magical and easy with culture shock, homesickness, and other emotions that come along with diving into something unknown, but the challenges are part of what made it so worthwhile in the end. And along with the challenges came many moments of amazement, excitement, and absolute love for everything Bhutan. I highly recommend this program for anyone interested, it's so unique and so incredibly amazing.

A Treasure!

If you are looking for an extremely unique opportunity to grow, this is it. Subtle hints of the British school system, patriarchy and sexism, and still the Bhutanese will somehow find a way to steal your heart. The internet is slow, when it works. The water sometimes goes off for days at a time, and there is never any hot water. I only saw a few televisions the entire trip. There was a nunnery above my hostile that made for a beautiful morning hike. The weather was warm on my campus and the students were incredibly welcoming. Studying GNH within the country gave me the ability to see both the benefits and the flaws to this wonderful concept. Coming from a first world country, the challenges of a third world country opened my eyes to my immense privilege. This journey shook me to my core and warmed my heart. Being surrounded by Buddhism pointed out the holes in my belief system and challenged me to fill them. I couldn't have done this without the tremendous support of the Naropa community and the wonderful Bhutanese friends I made. This program gave me the chance to actually slow down and be present. What a gift!

An Awesome Experience

I was part of the pilot trip for this study abroad program and it was an incredible experience. As to be expected with any pilot program, there were some minor hiccups, but I have faith that everything will be ironed out by the next year. Even being the pilot year for the program, it was an unforgettable and amazing experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be put out of their comfort zone and live in complete immersion in Bhutanese culture.