Global Builders - Haiti: Build Alongside Locals

1. Home
  2. Providers
  3. The Fuller Center for Housing
  4. Global Builders - Haiti: Build Alongside Locals

Participants will have the unique opportunity to work side by side with the homeowners and other locals to build new homes. In addition to providing safe housing, these trips provide locals with jobs, help support the local economy and create a life-changing experience for all involved.

Haiti has long been the poorest country in the western hemisphere. In a country with few building inspectors and poor construction techniques, it was only a matter of time before tragedy struck. When that tragedy appeared in the form of the January 2010 earthquake, the results were devastating. Thousands of buildings collapsed, killing 200,000 people and leaving well over a million people living in tent camps.

Today, relief efforts are behind them and long-term development is sorely needed, with permanent housing as one of the country's greatest needs and, perhaps, opportunities. We are proud of the work we did in helping to build over 150 simple, yet beautiful and safe homes for Haitian families in the communities of Lambi and Croix-des-Bouquets as a response to the earthquake. Now, we are focusing increasingly on the long-term development of the country. With a new project in northern Haiti in the town of Pignon, we are building homes that families pay forward on terms that they can afford -- a no-profit and no-interest loan.

If you have a heart for combining service, traveling and experiencing new cultures than this trip is for you!.

Program Highlights

Help build homes in post-earthquake Haiti in a volunteering program.

Make a real impact on the people of Haiti by empowering local leadership.

Earn international volunteering experience in the areas of Community Development, Social Work, and Construction Projects.

Spend a couple of weeks living and working in Pignon, a town in northern Haiti.

Program Reviews

Most Recent
×

An unforgettable experience

August 17, 2015

I look back fondly on my time in Haiti because of the relationships I made there and because I learned so much about the country, its citizens and the world as a whole. The Fuller Center did an amazing job immersing us in the culture and teaching my peers on the trip and I about the community - its needs and why its thriving. Before going to Haiti I assumed everything there would be different. What surprised me wasn't how different it was from America but how similar it was. We arrived on a Sunday and I saw families going to church and taking the day off. We saw a wedding and a funeral while driving along the coast. I shouldn't have been so surprised to see these things but I was and I'm glad I bridged the gap in cultural understanding. Everyone in the world is more similar than I ever thought.

I had assumed the trip would be emotional and I would be very sad while there but the Haitian people are incredibly happy even though they have little. Seeing orphans and destruction didn't hit me as I assumed it would. I broke down when we landed in Miami's airport on our way home as the realization set in that we could simply leave and come back to life but what we just saw was their life and the Haitians couldn't just leave. There is still great need in the country and I hope to return one day. I encourage you to have this life changing experience as well.

My life has been changed for the better

August 13, 2015

I got to be part of a response team right after the earthquake and that trip began a passion for Haiti. The next year I connected up with the Fuller program and the passion, commitment, impact, gift is huger and huger by the year. Six trips later I can't wait for the next. And each year new people sign up with our teams and they also get the bug.

Very meaningful experience

August 13, 2015

The Fuller Center Haiti Program offers an amazing experience while providing extremely well built homes to families who were victims of the 2010 earthquake. I have been there multiple times and absolutely love this program.

Life changing event.

August 13, 2015

I have been to Haiti 3 times with Fuller Center. I am currently planning my fourth trip for next summer.

I highly recommend this experience. Working with Fuller's Haitian partner, Grace International, helped to develop long term relationships with the people of Lambi Village.

Jonny, Jude, Jennel, Viktor, Erica are all friends in the true sense of the word.

Rest assured, your money actually goes to those who need it. This organization is over 40 years old. I have seen many of their programs in action. You will not regret working with Fuller or Grace.

Program Details

European

Kiwi

South African

Worldwide

This Program is also open to Families and Couples.

• Contact Provider for Cost Details

• The cost for a week in Leogane includes lodging, all local transportation, 3 meals per day, security, insurance, and a contribution for materials. Since factors like group size help determine the cost, we will work out a precise budget number after you submit your trip proposal.

• Group living

• Experience Required

• Online Application

Related Programs

Volunteer World: Best Volunteer Abroad Programs Worldwide

Looking to apply your talent and expertise to a good cause? Find a program that matches your interests and skills through Volunteer World! We are the largest volunteer abroad comparison platform around the globe, enabling you to seek and compare offers from major travel agencies ...

Pre-Med/Health Fellowships - Developed at Johns Hopkins

International Medical Aid (IMA) offers once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for doctors, medical residents, medical students, and pre-med undergraduates to work in busy international hospitals, mentored by our ...

Volunteering Abroad through GivingWay

GivingWay is a free and open platform through which worldwide travelers connect with local nonprofit organizations seeking volunteers in a simple and direct manner. With hundreds of volunteering ...