Morocco: Multiculturalism in North Africa
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Morocco: Multiculturalism in North Africa

A trip to remember

My trip to Morocco was fantastic. My program leaders navigated the line between safety and fun exceptionally, especially towards the tail end of the trip, when were all aware enough to manage ourselves in groups. The 15 other members I shared my experience with were among some of the most remarkable people I have ever met. I couldn't imagine a better group to explore Morocco with. Furthermore, the home stay experience was highly enlightening, as it showed me the hardships and benefits of living a rural life in Morocco. It was undeniably challenging, but the payoff was worth it. By the end, I was dreading the idea of returning home.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Exploring Morocco

The EIL trip wasn't just any regular trip, it was experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. They were very organized and ensured that we were fully prepared prior to leaving. I traveled with sixteen amazing people from all over the United States and one from Costa Rica, making this expedition fun and enjoyable. In Morocco, we were introduced to an entirely different society at work. We learned about the Moroccan culture which included the clothing, food and customs. I was also able to learn Arabic, barter with vendors, and rode camels. The EIL leaders made sure we were safe and comfortable. As part of the experience I stayed with a very hospitable family in a moroccan village. There we also taught children english, weaved, and learn to cook the native foods. We did fun group activities such as dancing and painting the local school. Overall, this Adventure has contributed immensely to my personal growth and I would recommend this program to every student seeking the same.

• Personal Development

A life changing experience!

I would definitely recommend this program.
I went to Morocco in the summer of 2017. I was an amazing experience! I enjoyed this trip so much. At first I was worried because I didn't know anything about the culture and I wouldn't know anyone. But everyone was so kind and welcoming that we quickly bonded to become a close family. We learned so much about Moroccan culture, language, history and food. We learned how to weave, cook, speak Moroccan Arabic. We rode camels in the Sahara and went shopping in souks. There is a homestay, where you get to experience the Moroccan lifestyle. You will do community service and teach English to the local children.
Everyone was so friendly. The group leaders were very helpful and made sure the group dynamic was always positive.
Through this trip, I learned how to be more independent and outgoing. This trip made me grow as a person.
The Experiment in International Living definitely has some of the best summer abroad programs! You won't regret going on one of its trips!

• Personal Development

Experiment living abroad in Morocco.

This trip was a life changer for me. I went with a group of 16 other high school students. Everyone on the trip was so polite. I made friends with everyone in my group and we experienced a lot of Morocco together. The trip has a very good balance of freedom and safty. Some highlights of the trip are riding camels in the Sahara, learning Arabic, and visiting the markets. This trip is really great for everyone and you will meet wonderful people.

Morocco trip review

I was not sure what to expect when traveling to Morocco because it was my first time out of the country, but the Experiment in International Living was a very great experience for a first time abroad traveler. The program easily combines cultural experience and learning with exposure and lessons about the culture from the international partners. Having the first few days be dedicated to these lessons really helped me begin to understand certain aspects of the culture that I had previously no knowledge of. We learned about things such as the government, Moroccan costume, and religion. I used this gained knowledge when we traveled to other cities and even more so in the home stay, but there was still so much I learned. Our time spent in the cities could have sometimes been better planned. There was a difference between the amount of time spent and opportunity to experience the culture in each city. In each city, I wish we would have had an equal amount of opportunity; however, each city visit was thoughtfully planned out and had their own experiences to gain. Many things that we did, such as a tour of the city of Fes, felt more authentic than if I were to travel to Morocco by myself. EIL does a great job of immersing their students into the culture by having the in country leaders and keeping the students busy. In addition, the home stay was the most important part of the program for me, as was it the most immersive. It was there that I truly felt myself develop/grow and fall in love with the country. The families I came across were absolutely amazing and always willing to help their host children any way possible. I truly felt like I became a part of their family.

EIL Morocco 2017

Morocco was definitely an unforgettable experience that has helped me grow as a person in many ways. Not only I got to experience this amazing country but I also made some amazing friends on this trip through our longs days traveling together.
Life in the homestay made me feel like I was transported back in time. The small houses, farms and ambiance. It's the simplicity in their lifestyle that opened my eyes to how little you need to be happy. We had the chance to spend time with our friends and host families in the village while we enjoyed a cup of tea together until the late hours of the night despite the language barriers. No matter where I went in the village I was welcomed with open arms. The genuine kindness of the people in the village is what made me love Ait Ouahi.
During the month in Morocco we had an Arabic class every day in the village, however, it was still difficult to communicate and form sentences when the words felt so foreign. Communication is important is no matter the situation, and not being able to use it made me value my voice. It also forced me to use other methods to get my thought across. This experience gave me a better appreciation towards the beauty of cultures. Although there was little to no understanding during conversations, we managed to laugh and enjoy each other's company. The people in the village showed me how to be vulnerable in order to learn and I will carry out that skill with me to culminate new relationships like the ones in Ait Ouahi.