India: Health Care & Traditional Medicine
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

India: Health Care & Traditional Medicine

• Program Opportunities

It was an amazing and very eye-opening experience!!

I had the opportunity to study abroad this summer '17 and go to India! If you are a planning or have interest in going to India and are a high school student I strongly encourage you to go with an amazing organization called the Experiment in International Living. I will not lie, it wasn't all easy but if this is a piece of advice that I can give you is not to let any stereotypes of ANY country stop you from going. You will learn why things are the way they are and why they may seem different to you. Another piece of advice that I can give you YES YOU the one who wants to leave for the summer is JOURNAL!!!! it doesn't have to be everyday but if it weren't for the experiment to have told me that I wouldn't have anything else to reflect back on other than pictures. India is an amazing country, and you will have amazing in-country leaders so don't be scared! If I could do it all over again I would. The Experiment in International Living has been an amazing and strong support system all the way providing you every detail you and your family need to know to ensure your safety. I SAY TAKE THE EXPERIMENT TO GO!

• Personal Development

Expect the unexpected (honest review)

If you are a person who enjoys spontaneous adventures, India is the place for you. While in India, every day brought new wonders. One of my favorite moments during this was the homestay. This is the time when the Experimenters start to get some more freedom and choose how they spend most of their days. During the less rainy nights in McLeod Ganj, I could see a million stars from the rooftop of my Tibetan home. Stargazing became a favorite evening activity of mine in the evenings along with journaling. This trip is one that will push you out of your comfort zone. You will see the unseen and face the unknown. Also, if you are an animal lover, you will love the cute kittens that come by your home, the monkeys that climb up and down your balconies, and the cows that stroll by your streets. India is a lively and vibrant country. You will be amazed by the various ways of transportation throughout the country, many being very eco-friendly, and the lively Indian music during car rides. Many of the people I met were so welcoming to our group. Before you go or apply, I would recommend that you do a lot of research on some of the social encounters foreigners face to understand how comfortable you will be with the new challenges. My trip to India was the first trip I ever had abroad, and the first time I ever was on a plane. I was very scared about the new risks I expected to experience, but I was also very much excited about facing these expected and unexpected risks head on. By the end of the trip, with all the difficulties I did face with this completely different atmosphere and culture, I can definitely say I learned various new lessons which better my understanding of the world today. I am now more vocal about my struggles, difficulties, and experiences. This one review cannot holistically describe my entire experience, so please feel free to email me so that I can paint a better picture for you (hawaiia180@gmail.com). Overall, this was such a meaningful trip, and I would definitely go back. Namaste!

• Personal Development

A great summer due to The Experiment!

I loved my time abroad in India! It was beautiful, fun, and everyone there is so loving. It pushed me outside my comfort zones and I wouldn't trade my experience for the world. I made so many new friends that I am still connected to. I did get sick a lot and contracted parasites while I was there I did get great medical care and I came home almost 100% healthy.

Utopia to a Curious Mind

Going to India with the Experiment in International Living (EIL) has easily been one of the most memorable experiences of my life so far. This experience was a like heaven to a curious mind. Coming from NYC, "the city that never sleeps," where life moves fast, its hard to find time to sit and wonder. It's hard to find time to ask the questions, let alone get answers. But in India, with EIL I was not only given time to develop these questions but instead, I was encouraged to ask. I recommend this program to anyone with questions, anyone who wants to further develop their own voices, and most of all anyone who wants to have fun. I wouldn't trade this experience for the world and look forward to continuing as a world learner!