France: Regional Cultures
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

France: Regional Cultures

A thrilling triumph

I fell in love with the people, culture, and of course the food. As we roamed the streets of France and Italy, I was able to point out a lot of differences between my culture back in the U.S. and the European culture. I admire how much Europeans cherish family time because at home I feel like I only get to actually interact with my family on the weekends even though I see them everyday. The group of students, my group leaders, and my host family made this trip one that I will never forget. My group became vary close to each other, so saying "goodbye" to a group of people that I only spent 3 weeks with was one of the hardest things I had to do. Being around so many wonderful people in a different country my me realize that there is so much more in the world waiting for me to explore, that i cant just remain in one place the rest of my life just because i feel comfortable. Pushing myself allowed me to see how important it is to get immersed into others culture because now I know that my way of thinking is not the only way, and that there are different approaches to situations.

• Satisfaction

Three weeks of a lifetime!

I was very pleased with my experience in France and Germany. It was amazing to see how much cultures can change in one country and around the borders of that country. Also, it was cool to see how Freiburg and Strasbourg were so similar but a part of different countries. I won't change my experience for anything in the world; I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see Europe and with amazing people!

Amazing trip

The trip taught me so much about myself and I will definitely go back to France and Germany because of this program!! The places I've been like Colmar showed beautiful homes and French food. Also in Germany when we went to the
Black Forest and walking the trail was so beautiful.

A summer to remember

This past summer I got the opportunity to travel to France and Germany with the program called The Experiment. This trip was so much fun and overall great, for it helped me grow as a person and learn more about myself. It sounded a bit scary traveling alone with a group of people I have never meet before. After getting to know the people in my group at the airport and with days passing by in France. my group and I got really close and ended up keeping in touch after the trip. I also kept in contact with my host family that I stayed with in France and they were so good with me while I stayed at there house. I really did felt like I was at home with them and while I was in France they showed me around and I got to know France for itself visiting museums all around and getting lost with some of my friends and then finding our way back as a group. I will never forget this trip.

More than I'd hoped for

I'm so glad I went on this journey with no true expectations of what it would look like. The spontaneity with which I approached this beautifully complex foreign country made the experience all the more rich. I gained an immense amount of confidence in my french speaking abilities and formed close with bonds with the friends I met along the way and the places I hope to return to.

100% immersion

This experience in France will forever change me. I was able to feel as if I was a native french person during parts of this trip. The group leaders were the amazing and always there for everyone in our group. The people were amazing and I am so grateful I was able to participate in something so amazing as this.

Summer in France

This summer in France was one of the best times in my life and I and so glad that I had the opportunity to go on this program. I had so much fun with the group members and leaders. We had amazing friendships went on fun and exciting day trips.

Experimenting in France and Germany

This trip was my first experience in travelling alone and going to Europe. You gain so much more knowledge when you are around fellow experimenters just like you and immersing into the different culture. I came back home with more confidence in myself and earned life changing experiences. The experience itself was amazing and adventurous. Also, my host family has become an extended part of my family on the other side of the world, and I still keep in contact with them. I recommend this program because this program allows you to experiment and explore within the country from France and as well as Germany with plans made everyday for you to enjoy.

• The Experiment in International Living responded to this review December 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Thank you for the review! Happy you have a newfound independence and love of exploring other countries. :)
    -The Experiment

An insightful experience

I had a great time with this program. Although I was the only student not from the U.S., there was still a lot of diversity in both background and experience in my program group, and I made some great friends. Although I was not entirely happy that the administration may not have fully taken into account the situations of students living outside the U.S. or that the leaders were not extremely organised all the time, I still enjoyed myself and sometimes found that figuring out our plan as we went along made it more exciting than simply having a fully planned itinerary.

I got the chance to experience new things, like learning how to ride a bike, or archery, or living in a French family's house! I became more confident in my French speaking skills and truly enjoyed living in the moment, being it laughing at random feats, late-night conversations, or people-watching at cafes. I liked that the program focused not just on Paris but on regional culture, because I felt that I got to know France better and enjoyed it more by being in smaller cities/towns.

My Trip.

This trip impacted my life in many ways. It helped me discover who I am. It helped me become independent and learn about new things around me. It taught me to appreciate the little things in other cultures. It taught me how to communicate with others that cannot understand you. This trip taught me to branch out and try new experiences. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had and I will never forget a second of it.

• The Experiment in International Living responded to this review December 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Thank you for the review! Happy you enjoyed France and, in particular, appreciating the little things. :)
    -The Experiment