France: French Language & Culinary Training
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

France: French Language & Culinary Training

Cooking in France

This trip was one of the best study abroad programs I have ever done. There were so many great things about it's hard to even put into words. I think for me the most valuable thing was the incredible friends I made. I still talk to them now daily months after the trip was over. Going through an experience like that was so incredible and amazing and doing it together made it so much better. I really miss all my friends from France and I plan to reunite with them soon. I also loved living with a host family with someone who was my age. We became really good friends and I still talk to her daily too. I felt like I was able to live like a real french teenager, we went and hung out with her friends, watched movies, did karaoke, and gossiped about boys. She made me feel right at home like a second sister and made sure I knew that any time I went to France I was welcome back.
In terms of the things we did I just can't even explain how wonderful the cooking experience was. It was hard work but we were able to make wonderful and beautiful creations. And we got to taste the best food I've ever tasted in my life. It's not everyday you get to eat food cooked by a world famous chef at a michelin star restaurant. Because the chef/teacher cooked everything we cooked and let is taste his I got to eat dishes that would normally cost $300 multiple times a day everyday for a week. It was heaven for a food addict like me.
My favorite memory is the last night when we all went to the eiffel tower. I've seen pictures of the eiffel tower before and I was convinced I would not be impressed by a tall hunk of metal. I was wrong. When you see the tower lit up for the first time, it knocks the breath out of you. It's so magical and whimsical, it's hard to explain unless you go. It was such a happy memory I was in the best place, with the best people, and we were all so happy.

An experiment to remember

From sightseeing the Eiffel Tower to living in an ordinary French home and cooking in one of France's most beautiful city, Lyon, this program has taken me on an unforgettable journey. I was immensely exposed to the French culture and language by having the opportunity to be proximate with local inhabitants. The Experiment program was very flexible and free flowing, allowing me to make my own discoveries of the elegant country and independently explore my curiosity of the food, language, and culture. Thanks to the Experiment, my love for the country has deepened, and my passion for the French language has been rekindled. My 3-week adventure in France has become one of my most cherished memories and most certainly remains as an "experiment" that was of great success.

The Best Experience Ever

I had such a great time and was so immersed in the program that I didn't notice time was flying by quickly. My home stay family was the best and I am definitely sure that I will be visiting my homestay family if I get the opportunity to go to France again. We visited to so many great places and I really love my team. It was such an unforgettable experience that I still remember every second of the moments there.

Learned about myself

When i was in France, I learned so much about myself that I would have never knew. Small things like how I am welling to try anything from food to experiences but the most important thing that I learned on that trip is how I love the thrill of being abroad and seeing new things. This thrill made me push more into my goal of wanting to explore the world and discovering new things about my culinary life and myself. The feeling that I felt has changed me and I was thankful that I got to know something about me. Whoever reads this I want to say if you never been abroad, you should do it because it may open your eyes more than you think and you don't know when you might ever get the chance again in such an unpredictable world.

Pretty good overall experience

I would personally say that the program could use a bit more organization but over all it was a great way to emerge into french culture. The best part of the program in my opinion was was most definitely studying at the Paul Institut Bocuse. There the chefs were extremely friendly, the cuisine was amazing and I had the pleasure to learn those same dishes. With that, the home stay was great, a family environment who constantly encouraged me to practice my french, and the trip to Lyon was fantastic. One great aspect about EIL in general is that there is a lot of freedom when it comes to exploring which allows you to feel a lot less like a tourist group. I have many friends who participated in other programs with EIL and they gave similar feed back.