Costa Rica: Biodiversity, Ecology & Sustainability
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Costa Rica: Biodiversity, Ecology & Sustainability

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

One of the best experiences of my life

I am so grateful to have experienced something as incredible as 'The Experiment in International Living". During this month abroad, I was able to step out of my comfort zone, meet new people, experience and discover things I'd never thought of! I was able to become immersed in the Costa Rican culture and felt like I was apart of their community as well. In Costa Rica I made very strong connections and bonds with several people, not only in my group, but those who call Costa Rica their home. For example, I truly feel like my homestay family is my real family. They took care of me like I was one of their own and I could not be more thankful and grateful. We also learned a lot about ecology, sustainability and the way Costa Rica operates. I was also able to give back and help the community, which is something that I really believe in. This has definitely opened my eyes in several ways and allowed me to expand my knowledge about the world, globally. I would recommend this program to every high school student planning to go abroad! The program is very well put together and creates the program in a way that is meaningful to all. If you do plan on going abroad, make sure to help local companies out, instead of big chains! Don't be afraid to really get to know the culture!

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Incredible opportunity

Traveling to Costa Rica through the Experiment was by far the best choice that I can recall ever making. Between the numerous friendships and relationships that I built with my group members, leaders, host family, and all of the amazing things that we did over the four weeks abroad, I'd 100% recommend embarking on a trip through this program.

Costa Rica review

My Costa Rica trip is an unforgettable trip because of the many highlights. I went hiking for hours which was fun seeing all of the animals and wild life. I also went kayaking which was my first time. I also went zip lining and faced my fear of heights. I had a loving and caring family that I still keep in touch with.

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Alumni Review of Costa Rica: Biodiversity, Sustainability, and Economics

As a student who has never ventured outside of the United States, I can say that without a doubt Experiment in International Living's overseas programs have provided me with one of the most inspirational and educational experiences of my life. Each of the different programs focuses on a theme that is well integrated throughout the program alongside exciting activities, informational tours, and life changing home stays. From the moment I arrived at the airport, the group leaders and members all worked to create a safe community among themselves and allowed for the other high school students and me to connect with not only each other but with people of different languages and cultures. The trips are detailed so that in everything you do you are enlightened about the world you are in and the ways of living of other people. Whether you are doing a home stay or simply participating in a tour, you are constantly learning something new while also having fun experiencing the adventure with other students around your age. Though most people come having fears about going overseas, most end up having more fear having to leave the overseas communities that they have grown accustomed to after experiencing their way of life and learning so much. After returning from my own trip I have worked to raise awareness of the program in my high school and even helped some students apply because I believe that without a shadow of a doubt that the lessons I learned from participating were life-changing and not things that can be learned in a classroom. I strongly recommend The Experiment in International Living's programs to any high school looking to widen their knowledge of the world outside of the United States and truly come to understand just how similar they are to young adults their age in other countries.
Sincerely,
Omar Hargrove

• The Experiment in International Living responded to this review December 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM

"Constantly learning while having fun" sounds like a traditional Experiment program! glad you enjoyed Costa Rica! :)
    -The Experiment