Argentina: Photojournalism and Social Change
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Argentina: Photojournalism and Social Change

Made my summer

It sounds cliche, but this trip made my summer the best I've ever experienced. The friends I made both within the program and in Argentina are ones that I'm still in contact with and are some of the coolest people I know. The leaders were incredibly competent and always made me feel safe, understood, and interested in what we were doing. The program itself taught me a lot and gave me constant opportunities to practice many kinds of photography. The homestay experience taught me so much about a different culture and independence, and introduced me to a second family. I highly recommend this program to anyone and everyone looking to go abroad and has an interest in photography and experiencing new things!

Great growing experience

During my time here I was able to practice my Spanish to full extent and become more independent because of our leaders letting us be a little free. They would ask for our opinions and tried to accommodate to that. I really loved my host experience I was able to meet many Argentinian teens my age and younger and interact with them while learning how to use a pin hole camera. I really learned how to be grateful for what I have and to be open to anything because you never know whats the next obstacle you might face. During this trip we did two projects and presented them to our host families at the end of our course. I couldn't have asked for more I really loved the experience I had this summer. I would recommend anyone to not come with expectations because that way you will be able to have more fun and soak everything in rather than already coming in with an opinion. Lastly I would like to say to be yourself.

• Personal Development

Learning photography, but not necessarily photojournalism

My trip in Argentina was truly fantastic. I loved the places we saw, the people we met, the food we ate, and even the weather and climate we lived in. I was also one of the lucky ones; I had a host family so amazing that I didn't necessarily want to return home to my own. (A very odd emotional dilemma, but it's true.) I do think I learned a lot about photography, but not exactly much about photojournalism. We were taught camera angles, depth of field, lighting, and a lot of good qualities that I as someone who sees photography as a serious endeavor hadn't yet learned. But, it goes without saying that the program description leads one to believe they will be studying photojournalism, and to me that meant going into scenes of the world and snapping what we could for that perfect shot. Instead, we talked to subjects we found in the street and were encouraged to pose them how we needed. The program was truly one of the best I've come across, but I believe a little tweaking of the program's title and description could go a long way to be truer to form.

The best summer

My trip with The Experiment was unforgettable. I met incredible people, engaged in creative activities, and ate delicious food. However, all this was enabled, in part, by the organization themselves. Our group leaders always had a plan and knew the next course of action. From the beginning of the trip we had a schedule and knew what we were doing. There was very little uncertainty and that made us feel very safe and supported.
We all had the opportunity to take amazing photographs and that had to be my highlight for this trip. I was able to expand my knowledge on photography by practicing every single day and for that I am truly grateful. If you have any worries about this trip leave them behind. You will be in good hands and surrounded by people who are committed to your well-being.

A full immersion

My month long trip to Argentina was the most amazing cultural immersion I could have ever wished to experience. With a three week home stay, the cross cultural opportunities were immense. I was able to experience everything from a school day to the family and community traditions. Everyone was friendly and kind, and the program matched up students and home stay families really well. The leaders made sure everyone was comfortable and safe throughout the trip, and the language immersion really helped enhance my minimal Spanish skills. We learned so much about the history of Argentina and got to explore multiple cities within Argentina. Overall, the trip was a wonderful experience that I would recommend to any high school student!