Argentina: Community Service & The Great Outdoors
The Experiment in International Living participants with a local The Experiment in International Living participants with a local

Argentina: Community Service & The Great Outdoors

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Life changing

This experience was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I met many amazing people, and I really got the opportunity to explore another culture and have fun at the same time. The leaders were attentive of our needs, and easy to communicate with. Their relaxed personalities really allowed the group and I to live this experience to the fullest, because we felt comfortable being ourselves around them.
During my time in Argentina, the group and I did not stay in a town or city for more than three days which really kept everyone entertained, but also busy. It was cool to learn about many different places, and how each had their unique aspects even though all these towns were in one single country.
The community service aspect of this program was my favorite because the whole group was able to contribute equally, and the people made it fun to do. Working with a school and being able to meet the children who we do this for really made me realize how much we have in the United States, and how a work like the one we did really helps these communities.
As to my home stay, I absolutely loved my host family. From the first time I walked into that door I had a home-like feeling, and everyone welcomed me with hugs and kisses. I was able to have conversations quickly, and got to share different aspects of my own culture to them as well.
Argentina was a wonderful experience that made my summer amazing. I am planning on returning, but I could repeat this summer program, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Forever Thankful

I am forever thankful for the opportunity that was given to me by the Experiment in International Living. Because of them I was able to meet some of the most amazing people and had one of the greatest opportunities of a lifetime. Most importantly, I was able to grow as a person and move forward in becoming the person I have always wanted to be.

Argentina is such a beautiful country, with equally beautiful people. The kindness I was shown and the love I was given is something that I cherish so dearly. I got to stay with the most amazing family who showered me with love and pride and memories that will last a lifetime. I can't remember a time when I wasn't smiling when I was around them. I was just always happy. They were the best part of my trip. Our tour guides and partners in Argentina never failed to make me laugh and feel good. Seeing my group of peers and leaders really dive into the Argentinean culture was so surreal, the passion in the air made everything so
worthwhile.

I can't explain how much this experience meant to me. I will always hold it in my heart. Muchisimas gracias por todos, EIL. I am forever thankful.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

What I learned in Argentina

When I first learned that I would be traveling to Argentina, I didn't know what to expect. I hadn't known much about the country other than the fact that the people speak Spanish. So I think you can tell that I didn't have high expectations for this trip. However, the moment I met my group in the airport, I knew this was going to be a life-changing trip, and it was. Together as a group, we helped communities through community service, navigated the cities without supervision, stayed with host families, and more, all while speaking in a foreign language. This month gave me a new outlook on the world and how I interact with people. Once I returned to the States, I made sure that I treated people with the utmost respect because that is how Argentains treat their fellows. In addition to gaining more social skills, I also gained a family. During this month, I've grown so close to a group of people from different backgrounds and ethnicities and they will forever be apart of my life. So all in all, this trip wasn't what I imagined it to be; it was so much better, and I will forever be thankful for this opportunity that the Experiment has provided me with. I am eternally grateful.

Unforgettable summer experience in Argentina 2017

The Experiment in International Living grants me special and unique experience in Argentina. It may be uncomfortable to travel to a different country with 14 strangers (2 leaders and 12 other experimenters) at first but everyone feels the same. Every student is really nice and we get along with each other quicker than we thought. I like the feeling of uneasiness and nervous at the beginning of the program become less and less throughout the program. The Experiment did an extremely great job to give experimenters a diverse group. People in the Argentina group are from different racial, economic and geographical background. Because of this, I get to learn the Argentine culture and their culture.

The Experiment is designed to exchange culture which means while I am learning Argentina culture and they are learning from us. Besides exchanging culture, community service is a great experience as well. We try to renew school and the police office that will actually help the community. There is alway activities planned during homestay or outside of it to help us learn about the culture and meet new people.

The program leaders are extremely helpful and answer any question you have during the trip. My leaders are respectful because they alway ask for our opinion whenever they have more than one option. They are also responsible because they alway make sure we are present and checking on us.

I will definitely recommend any programs on The Experiment list. Any of the programs on the list will shapes you to a better individual and gain more knowledge.

A fantastic adventure

Overall, my experience in Argentina was both highly rewarding and eye-opening. I met amazing people from all over the U.S. as well as locals in Argentina. We had a busy month, jam-packed with adventures, sight-seeing, tours, and cultural immersion. During our two-week home stay in Salta, we went on a number of outdoor excursions with the group, including an amazing trek up a beautiful mountain and whitewater rafting. The community service portion of our time in Salta was helping to paint the famous San Lorenzo church. Personally, the home stay for me was my favorite part of this trip. I had an absolutely amazing family with two older host sisters. I became close with one of them, Danna, who brought me with her everywhere. We went running together, hung out with her friends, went shopping, and drove around the city of Salta. Camping in rural Chicoana was an entirely different experience, but equally amazing. We rode to the campsite on horseback and slept in tents for two nights at the ranch. We had beautiful, sunny days there, but the nights were the kind of cold that kept you from falling asleep; probably getting down to below freezing. In Cafayate we went bike riding to sand dunes with a beautiful view and we also visited ruins from pre-Inca times. Our group leaders were young and friendly; they helped us all feel comfortable with each other and were able to be our friends but leaders at the same time. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who's considering it; it had a good mix of outdoor trips with community service, as well as more of an urban homestay experience. I can't say how happy I am for deciding to go!

A summer to remember

One 35-pound suitcase, 45-liter backpack, and a one-way ticket to Argentina later, I was on a plane to a country I have never been to before with 12 unknown students and two amazing leaders I would soon get to know. As my group and I landed in Buenos Aires, I could smell the freshly oven-baked empanadas, sweet dulce de leche spread on crackers, and juicy well-done steaks Argentina is known for. I couldn't be more grateful to have spent 4 weeks in a country that is known for their food and culture. From a friendly game of soccer with our host families to finding the restaurant with the best tasting pasta (which was quite impossible), we had the experience to immerse ourselves in more ways than one.

For the first 2 days, our group had the opportunity to explore what Buenos Aires has to offer such as the Tigre delta and practice our Spanish language skills. Over the course of two days, we received the chance to visit significant cafes, theaters, and art galleries that embodied the Argentina culture. One 4-hour local flight later, we were sitting in the Experiment's office in Jujuy, where our home stays would occur. To be completely honest, my family in New York and I have never been close enough to share a memorable encounter as I had when my host sister came to pick me up. She knew who I was, what I did, and why I was in Argentina, but I did not know anything other than her name. It was quite amazing. I could start from scratch in meeting and getting to know new people, in hopes of building long-lasting relationships.

My homestay family consisted of 4 wonderful-beautiful individuals: my mom, dad, and two sisters. At first, it was strange to share the table with people I did not know and sleep in a house I was not familiar with. Nevertheless, we started to warm up to each other, unlike the weather we were in. Their love snuggled the cold out of my body more than a simple sweater could ever have. I felt at home, 4,516 miles away from my house. I will always keep them in my heart, even if we're not together anymore. The long, chatter-filled nights I stayed up with my sister and hearty meals my mother cooked for the family will remain in my heart for the years to come.

Community service was like the icing on the cake; I could not be happier to have helped the local communities of Jujuy and Chicoana. Our community service projects such as gardening, painting, and remodeling a run-down police station and the humble school gave me the chance to learn life lessons I will sincerely hold dear to my heart. Durning the last couple of days, our group and I experienced white-water rafting in the Juramento River, horseback riding up rocky mountains, and camping in cold winter weather. Over the span of 25 days, I learned and experienced a lifetime of adventures. Indeed, it was a summer to remember.

An unforgettable experience

This is an amazing program, and I recommend everyone to apply. Being in Argentina helped me improve my Spanish and changed my outlook on the world. Meeting people from both different parts of the US and in Argentina opened my eyes to how large our world really is.
Both my group and my leaders were amazing. Our leaders gave us the freedom to explore parts of Buenos Aires, Salta, and Chicoana on our own. This freedom allowed us to see different parts of the cities that wouldn't usually be tourist attractions. Not only that, but it allowed us to truly immerse ourselves in Argentinian culture.
With a combination of the home stay, horseback riding, camping, and community service, how could you not want to go to Argentina? The trip was unforgettable, and I hope more people get to experience it!

• Personal Development

What Makes This Program Stand Out?

The Experiment in International Living did well planning this program, incorporating fun activities, and making sure participants were safe. Argentina is the most enjoyable place that I have visited in Latin America, and while I was on this trip I felt that I really experienced the culture of a variety of populations: the urban metropolis of Buenos Aires, the medium-sized city of Salta, the small town of Cafayate as well as other villages and farms.

I have participated on similar three- and four-week trips to Latin America in the past, and I believe that there are two things that set this program apart from the rest. First, this program is not meant for learning a lot of Spanish, so don’t choose it as a substitute for a Spanish class. The lessons that they have are helpful refreshers, but the focus of your time is cultural immersion. Second, the coordinators an excellent job with the homestay. This two-week experience with a family in Salta was undoubtedly the highlight of my trip. What makes this homestay different than others is the fact that each participant is matched with a different family and gets more time to spend with them than most programs schedule in. While being alone with a family is intimidating at first, it really enhances the connections that you make with your family and ensures that you practice your Spanish. From regular card games to extended family barbeques, my homestay made me feel that I was truly part of a family.

All in all, this was a worthwhile experience for me. I hope that you consider it and best of luck with your application!

(Also, apply for a scholarship if you feel that you need it—don’t let the cost intimidate you!)