TEAN: Wellington - Massey University
TEAN TEAN

TEAN: Wellington - Massey University

Adventure awaits

Whenever I’m asked, “How was New Zealand?” my go-to response is always a definitive “Fantastic.” I’ll then launch into the long-winded and enthusiastic account of my travels, pausing only to take breath. From absolutely stunning beauty to engaging academics to the friendliest people I’ve met, New Zealand has it all. I can barely begin to describe what an immensely positive and valuable experience studying abroad was for me. TEAN really is to thank for orchestrating such a smooth, stress-free transition, which allowed for me to focus on academics and cultivating a wider global awareness. Without the initial foundation that TEAN built through orientation and the support from staff, I would not have been nearly as confident as I was when it was time to venture off on my own.

I absolutely loved how creative and artistically expressive the city of Wellington is. There is so so much to do and explore all within a short walk; hardly any two points in the city are more than a half hour walk from each other tops. Cafes, restaurants, and boutiques are abound. Museums are free and there are some beautiful hikes just outside the city.

I lived in The Cube which is Massey University’s Accommodation where the first-year students lived. It was very much like being in a Freshman dorm again with RAs and Hall events, but I absolutely loved the strong sense of community it fostered. By the end of the semester, my floor had become my family and home away from home. I would highly recommend living in university housing if given the choice because there are so many ways to make friends and get involved with events that you might not otherwise have had the opportunity to.

Lastly, I thoroughly enjoyed the curriculum I was able to take while abroad. With Massey’s Wellington campus being known as the oldest and most prestigious design school in New Zealand, it was a perfect fit to complement my Graphic Design major. The academics were rigorous yet rewarding, and very much what you make of it.

Never Wanted to Leave!

Wellington is to this day my favorite city in New Zealand and it was a privilege to be able to study at Massey in the city. The culture is so interesting and there is always something to do at any given point of the day. Whether it be a nice walk along the water front, going to Te Papa, the coolest museum (and its free), or going out at night with friends, Wellington really has it all. Massey was perfectly located just a short walk from downtown and made everything really easy to get to.
I lived with 3 other New Zealand students and an American student, which was a good mix I felt. You get a single room with a full size bed, but the apartments are more like dorms than other schools living situations like Victoria (also in Wellington). Massey was a really cool school with a nice campus and really helpful and intelligent professors.

Overall I couldn't have been happier with my experience and that all started with TEAN. The work they put in to make sure you are all set to go on your semester abroad, as well as the activities they set up once you get there are really helpful to make you feel comfortable in a new place, and to help entice the students to get to know each other and become friends. My best friends to this date have come through The Education Abroad Network and I am so thankful this is the program I chose to study abroad with!

Amazing New Zealand

Studying abroad has definitely been the most exciting and rewarding experience of my life. The lifelong friendships and unforgettable memories that I have made are irreplaceable. I don’t think that I could have had a better experience anywhere else or with anyone else.

I knew that I wanted to study abroad in New Zealand since I was in high school, and the only question I had was how I was going to get there. Looking back on it now I feel that the best decision I made regarding my entire abroad experience was making the decision to go with TEAN as a provider. The people at TEAN are extremely friendly and helpful. They really attempt and get to know their students and help them feel comfortable as much as they can.

I attended the pre-semester trip to Fiji, which was absolutely amazing and a perfect way to meet the other program members. The nervousness and anxiety that I felt on the flight over was immediately replaced with excitement once we arrived at our resort and I met the other TEAN students. The pre-semester trip and the orientation in Auckland made the transition to New Zealand and being abroad for the first time much easier.

I was originally studying at the University of Canterbury until the February 22 earthquake struck Christchurch and we ere forced to transfer. TEAN did an amazing job with helping us switch schools and made the transfer to Massey University in Wellington much easier for us. The support that TEAN provided us during this stressful time was outstanding. The people at TEAN really helped us feel comfortable and took care if us during the process of moving.

My experiences in Wellington were also amazing. I loved the city of Wellington and living in the Cube apartments made for easy and quick access to campus as well as downtown Wellington and the beachfront. Wellington is an awesome city with a lot of culture and art. Although Massey Wellington is particularly suited for design, fashion, or art students, I found my business classes to be very interesting and I really learned a lot. I enjoyed my time in Christchurch but I am very glad that I ended up going to school in Wellington. It was an amazing place with friendly people and I doubt I will ever live in a city as unique as Wellington. I will never forget my experiences in New Zealand and cannot wait to go back!

Amazing Time in New Zealand

TEAN's New Zealand program was fun and well-organized. It provided an extensive pre-semester orientation program, allowing for immersion in the culture and meeting other students studying there. It allowed me to make friends that I have kept even since coming home, and to adjust to be abroad.

During the course of the semester, TEAN offered support and activities that were both fun and helpful. I enjoyed activites offered, such as meet-ups and going to see an Alll Blacks rugby game. The staff were all friendly and knowledgeable.

Wellington is a vibrant and exciting city to live in. There are many museums and things to do, as well as fun night life. Massey University had a great international students program that offered activities and support throughout the semester. I felt very welcome in all of my classroom and university environments. Wellington was a good central location from which to travel to other parts of the country, as flights to the south island and buses to other parts of the north island were cheap and readily available.