Semester or Full Year Abroad in Beijing with TBC
The Beijing Center for Chinese Studies Header Image The Beijing Center for Chinese Studies Header Image

Semester or Full Year Abroad in Beijing with TBC

My freedom and independence

I had a wonderful time at TBC. I felt that the program was rigorous enough with the school work so you still are studying and not just abroad. Even so, there was still so much free time to explore the city and even the rest of China, or other countries as well. Also, if it is hard for you to go out on your own and find things to do, TBC hosted so many cultural outings for the students to participate in. You may be warned about the TBC Bubble, and yes, it does exist. However, it is not hard to break away from, and nobody will be offended if you do. One of my favorite things about TBC was how much of a community there was. We not only all did things together and had great experiences, but we also encouraged each other to explore our own passions and do things on our own. I felt the most independent and free I have felt in my college career when I was in Beijing with TBC.

Once in a lifetime journey

It's so hard to put in a few words or sentences what impact TBC had on me. It was an experience I wish I could relive. Being immersed in China with the group of people who were also seeking similar experiences allowed for relationships to be formed with students from not just America and China but al over the world. The food was to die for and the courses cultivated immense interest from me to pursue an Asian Studies Minor. Living in Beijing as well as the Silk Road excursion that I went on opened my eyes to another part of the world that I didn't know too much about. Learning about the diverse cultures and people in China is something that I love to still share with friends and family back home.

Adventure of a lifetime!

I studied with TBC in the 2015-16 academic year, and TBC gave me some of the most memorable and amazing experiences in my life. The Silk Road excursion opened my eye to the long and rich history of China with the West, and the Yunnan excursion opened my eyes to the diverse and unique cultures of China. I was able to immerse myself to live and learn about China's lifestyle and cultures daily. TBC staff are amazing and super helpful. They are always there for you when you need them, and students are always welcome to chat with them during classes' break time. TBC is a family, and everyone so nice and closed. Wendy and Father Gene often invited students to cook at their place and have dinner together. It was a nice bonding time. I met and made so many great friends at TBC. I love TBC, and I am proud to be a TBC alum.

Fantastic and unforgettable

I liked the silk road trip. this experience led me to understand the local culture better, and then it guided to be in touch with the people. I understood the reality situation of the people's lives; in term of economy, for example, how people earn money in their daily life. This is also included varieties of level of development, such as the different between the city, suburb, and rural area, etc... Overall, it was an unforgettable experience...

The experience of a lifetime

There is no way to express how meaningful and excellent the program is. The level of cultural exposure, the level of course content, the study trips, the amount of heart put into the program by the TBC team - it's an unforgettable and un-matchable study-abroad experience. I stayed as long as I could have, and would have stayed even longer. Friends for life and enduring Chinese skills; TBC provides more than any other study abroad program I've ever heard of.

Opportunities opened

My trip in China helped me realize a number of great opportunities abroad! I learned a lot and realized many opportunities that were available while I was abroad. I met many great people and made many lasting friendships and relationships. I feel that I now have a great understanding of China. I received a great education in the culture and language of China.

TBC is all about immersion

My semester in Beijing was one of the most memorable experiences of my life! Since the experience, I have been to China 9+ times.

TBC provided great language classes, cultural trips, world class professors, and affiliation with great US schools.

7 reasons to go to Beijing

My Chinese has progressed unimaginably fast
I have learned more about the Chinese culture politics, history, and society than I ever did in the states
My confidence in speaking Chinese aloud went from a 1 to a 10 in a matter of weeks
I met people from all walks of life all over the world
The nightlife is LIT!!!
Beijing has everything to do so there is no way you could be bored
You may meet someone and fall in love-- I know I did

Enriching...

It was the best experience I had of living and studying in China. Helped me grow more culturally and in terms of speaking Mandarin, not to mention the long lasting bonds and friendships it created with fellow TBCers.

All in all, it is the source of some of my life's best memories so far.

Life altering, above and beyond

I have traveled abroad in Beijing and then to Rome, and compared to the JFRC program in Rome, TBC has their game together! We were taken care of so well, but also still allowed room to explore and learn China for ourselves. The staff was very helpful in guiding us to different resources. The staff was also very focused on keeping all the study healthy, both physically and emotionally. Loved my time there!

The Best Experience of my Life

China is mysterious. And those who choose China as a destination to study abroad are often scared and nervous (like I was). The Beijing Center for Chinese Studies (TBC) makes the experience the BEST possible experience. The mandarin classes, the living conditions, the social life, the tips, trips and help, everything makes this abroad experience wonderful. They have an amazing space in the University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) in Beijing, and the library and study areas are great. They have an amazing staff, prepared to help and answer any questions. The professors are top leaders of their industries in China (great for networking). The friend you will make here will change your life. They will be your friends forever.

ChinaGreen Summer Program

I had an amazing time on my ChinaGreen Summer program! Not only did I learn a ton from the very talented faculty at the Beijing Center, but I had a great time on the excursions and in Beijing itself. I would definitively recommend this program (and already have to everyone I know!) My only regret is that I could not return to Beijing in the fall to participate in their school year program as well.

Fall 2012

TBC made me love China; easy as that.
The two excursions made it a bang for your buck. Doing the Silk Road showed an immense amount of history, different terrains, and fun activities, the other trip was to Guilin which is said to be the most beautiful place in China, which is near the mark.
The program gets you to meet others, almost like being in a military platoon, with shared classes. The option to have a Chinese roommate is also an add-on to the immersion, as well as reciprocating their help with your own to them. TBC classes were taught but very good professors, all of my classes were interesting (Chinese Medicine, Chinese Foreign Policy, Chinese Language, Buddhism).
The only downside was the administration on site had favorites, were at many times slow to respond to emails, and after your initial welcome are rarely helpful.
I highly recommend this program for anyone interested in China or first timers.

One of my favorite semesters of my college experience

TBC has a wonderful program that is definitely worth the money to invest in. My study abroad experience was better than I could have imagined. Our two-week excursion on The Silk Road was one of the highlights of my time with TBC. You get to travel all over China and in the process and get to know a lot of the people in the program more intimately. Classes are taught by very knowledgeable professors. In my experience they are very willing to help you succeed in class. The surrounding area is a great location to put a college campus. TBC is by far an amazing study abroad program that all students should consider!

Go For IT!

Get ready to struggle, feel homesick, and be confused. Get ready to learn, laugh, succeed, and explore! All this and more comes with this challenging yet very rewarding program. You will be required to step out of your comfort zone and experience new things. You will questioned many ideas and perceptions you once had, but leave with a greater understanding of the world, China, and yourself. So if you're looking for a semester that will open your eyes to a completely foreign way of living and understanding, while making great friends, look no further than TBC. Go For IT!

Amazing China

Experience was great, the traveling and culture was amazing to experience. The program immersed you into all the different aspects of China. Classes arent that hard and good for learning about China. Traveling and talking to the chinese roommates is the best way to experience China!

A Transformative Experience

I went to China and TBC to study China but I left with confidence and insight into who I truly am and where I may want to travel in life. I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of my personal strength and independence while on the journey. I left with a TBC community that supported me through thick and thin and who has continued to support me despite the fact that we are spread throughout continents. I returned to Loyola and now miss the rigors and expectations of the TBC professors. I live with the hope that I can one day return to a country that I once new nothing about, and I strongly recommend that anyone looking for an academically rigorous and intensive program that encourages cultural immersion and supports you with a plethora of activities planned by the student development office attend TBC. If you are willing to take the leap, this is a transformative experience.

Life Changing Semester

I wish everyone could experience a semester at The Beijing Center. I not only learned so much about Beijing, China and the Chinese people but I learned even more about myself. As a result of my semester abroad I am more outgoing, confident, and have a better idea of my values and goals in life. I grew immensely through the challenges of living life in a country that before I went I knew little about especially Chinese language! TBC Staff are so helpful and I will be forever grateful to them for opportunities to learn and grow that they provided me.

Such a GREAT program and experience

The Beijing Center is such a unique and amazing program. Unlike other study abroad opportunities, it combines cultural exploration with academic courses to push students to fully immerse in the local environment. This is not a study abroad where you do not learn anything, or take classes that will not transfer or apply to your area of study back home. I received full credit for all the courses I completed AND they all counted towards my major--not just all general studies. The tours and trips arranged by The Beijing Center are world class, well thought out, and honestly spectacular. I learned so much about myself and the country throughout my trip. Socially, the center boasts both US students and an array from international communities. It was the best four months of my life!

Great Program

This is a great program! You'll travel a lot, learn a lot, and have an enormous amount of fun. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to jump in and learn about China. It is really the way to go to both have fun and learn a lot.

Spring Semester 2013

I went this program knowing no Mandarin and no other people on the trip. I learned how to survive speaking Mandarin by the end of the trip and made friends that I keep in touch with from America and China. This program provides the learn the opportunity from the Chinese about Chinese culture, language and beliefs. I wish I had the opportunity to stay longer and do another TBC study abroad program.

Year-Long Adventure

This was a life changing experience that I don't for one second regret! I attended TBC for my entire junior year. The two excursions really allow you to see all of the different aspects of China and broaden your horizons. The people who join this program are truly amazing and I still stay in contact with them today. Highly recommended if you want to see a part of the world widely unknown by many Americans and really grow as a person!

One of the Best Experiences of My Life

Everything about this program is incredible: the people, the academics, the environment. If you want to know more about China or even experience something completely different, TBC is the way to do it.

First Time Leaving North America

Felt envigorated to study and travel with students who were also open-minded and extremely bright. The program's diverse trips and classes made me feel fulfilled while enriching my experience in my new home of China. And, I went back right after graduation. During that time, I met up with five other TBCers (current friends still) in Asia. I would absolutely recommend this trip to anyone looking to bust out of their comfort zone and find new personal potential for openness, learning, and growth.

非常好

I was specifically interested in the language component and TBC did a fantastic job. I was there for one semester and when I went back I was able to skip a level! Studying Chinese in China is so much better - its amazing how much my speaking improved and how little I actually knew!