TEFL Zorritos, Peru
TEFL Zorritos Header Image TEFL Zorritos Header Image

TEFL Zorritos, Peru

Confidence & knowledge

The small group size was a main reason for picking TEFL Zorritos in the first place. I like that we are all like a little family leaving this course; it was very personal and we got more hands-on teaching experience because the class size was so much smaller.
The teaching practice classes were extremely valuable. At first the thought of teaching terrified me, but by my 10th class I wasn’t even nervous and was actually excited about the lessons I was planning. I think it was a good amount of teaching practice.
Ellie’s an amazing trainer. Her experience in a variety of different teaching environments gave good insight as to what to expect after the course as well. Having her teach from experience is very valuable.
I would not have the confidence to even think of teaching without this TEFL course. Before the course I had no idea what I was doing and it would have been disrespectful to the students to teach them in that state. The TEFL course gave me the confidence and the knowledge I need going forwards.

A great month

Ellie was great! She was very knowledgeable and made the course interesting and fun. She created a supportive learning environment and her own experiences in teaching added valuable insight into what we might come across after the course.
The practice classes were very useful in giving an insight into what we could come across with a great variety of ages, levels and sizes. It seemed like a daunting task at first but I think we were given a good amount of support to be able to learn from the experience and successfully reach our goals. In the time of four weeks I think 10 hours was a good amount.
Really enjoyed being in the small group. It felt like we got a lot of one on one feedback and support which was great.
It was great month; I learnt a lot and really enjoyed getting to meet Ellie, Adan and the rest of the group doing the course.

Very Hhelpful

Classes were very helpful. I learned how to change my approach with different ages and different levels. I learned the importance of both lesson planning and thinking on my feet when teaching. Some activities might be beautiful, but if the class is not catching on, it might be time to move on to something else. I think it was a nice amount of practice teaching, anymore might have been too much as the planning took up so much of our time.
I loved the small group as it was possible to get any individual attention needed. It also felt intimate and safe for all.
I would not have been comfortable teaching English without the course. I might have been able to stumble through it, but I am not comfortable delivering any form of work without being qualified. I certainly needed the grammar review, the practice planning, and teaching in order to feel confident in delivering quality lessons.

Extremely beneficial

The practice teaching classes were extremely beneficial, covering a range of student ages and abilities. It was a great way to build confidence in both lesson planning and delivering.
Our TEFL trainer was very knowledgeable and her presentation, delivery and additional course material and relevant articles was great
I liked the idea of a small class size as it allowed for more individual attention and group discussion.
Overall I really enjoyed the course, and the month was a nice time to somewhat assimilate and experience the culture under the umbrella of routine and familiar faces each day.

Equal attention for everyone

It was refreshing to have a small group to interact with as it felt less pressured. Every trainee was given equal attention - which doesn’t happen in large groups.
I don’t think I would have been well equipped to teach English to locals without having completed this TEFL course. The TEFL course was hands on and the practice teaching sessions really exposed me to the real world of teaching.
The course and location were perfect. Keep up the good work.

Challenging but rewarding

My practice teaching class were very useful to help me plan for classes using a variety of media, and to learn to turn the focus away from me and encourage STT by facilitating activities. I think there was a good amount of practice teaching.
My opinion of Ellie is that she quite obviously knows her stuff and you can see she walked the walk before talking the talk. Most of the activities we completed were engaging and enjoyable. She expected a high standard and made sure we worked to meet that standard which was challenging but rewarding. It was also nice to see that she cared about us as people, as well as students.
I enjoy the small group environment as it allows good discussion and the opportunity to get more one-on-one time with the trainer when required.
I have had a good time here in Zorritos learning to teach English. It has taken a little adjustment and at times I found the course very challenging, but there have also been some very rewarding moments too. The skills and knowledge give me a lot of confidence moving forward to teaching.

Small groups are better

The practice teaching classes are very useful. They were exactly what I wanted. I learned, well, pretty much everything from how to make a lesson plan and design it for the age and level of learner, to how to think on my feet and feel out what I need to teach more or less based on how the class is reacting to my material and lesson. Small groups are definitely better. Easier to ask questions and get one-on-one time. Since there were only 7 of us, we were able to work as one big group instead of have several cliques. Ellie is an excellent TEFL trainer, she really knows her stuff and I learned a lot from her and her experiences. She was able to explain the material in a way that was quite easy for me to understand.

Inspiring & fun

Because Ellie does her work with a lot of passion the course was inspiring and fun. I completely trust in Ellie's knowledge because she has a lot of experience and I am convinced she only wants the best for her students and the institutes we are going to work for in the future.

• Course Instructor

Teaching classes were the best part

The teaching classes were the best part of the course. They were extremely helpful in the learning process and made me feel a lot more confident in teaching. I learned how to build a lesson plan and how to give a successful lesson. I think the amount was perfect. Ellie was WONDERFUL. She was super excited about teaching the course, and this really carried over into the lessons. I really hope she continues with teaching these courses for as long as possible - she’s obviously really good at what she does and is super inspiring.

• Course Instructor

Change of career & a different future

A great and challenging course in a wonderful location, was even better than I had hoped. I went in with a lot of doubts as hadn't studied for quite some time, it’s given me the confidence for a change of career and a different future.

Great small group setting

I loved the small group setting. It gave more time for questions during class, and the one on one feedback was fantastic. I can say I would not have been able to teach English without the course. The main reasons are the lack of knowledge about how to create group activities for the 4 skill areas, present information such as grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation, and how to write a lesson plan. Without those 3 skills I do not know how anyone could say they can teach English effectively.

Invaluable experience

The practice teaching classes were invaluable. They really brought everything that we learned in class together and provided practical real-life context to what we were studying. I think that we were able to complete just the right amount of practice teaching classes. I feel adequately prepared and feel confident that I have experience teaching students from the local community, not just my native English speaking peers.
Ellie is extremely knowledgeable and I feel so confident going to Lima to find a job, and anywhere in the world for that matter, having learned from her. I loved the delivery of the course. It was intensive without being stressful as well as informative and interesting.
I loved the small class size. I feel like I was able to get really close with the other trainees and the TEFL Trainer. I don’t think I would have gotten as much out of the course if there was a group of 10-20 students because there would not have been as much personal care and attention paid to each student.
I know for certain that I would not have been able to teach English without the course. The knowledge that Ellie has gained through years of teaching English all over the world in a variety of jobs is priceless. To be able to learn from someone with so much knowledge in the field that I am entering and to be able to pick her brain is such a lucky experience. I would highly recommend the course to anyone who thinks that it may be something that they’d like to do.
Thanks so much for turning someone who was terrified of public speaking into a confident English teacher. I will be forever grateful for that.

Excellent course

My TEFL trainer was excellent in all aspects. I enjoyed the experience with the other 4 trainees, being a smaller group we became close and I imagine had more one to one time with the trainer than a larger class. The practice classes were essential, in my opinion, to learn to be an effective teacher. I think the quantity of practice lessons is correct at 10 and having the different levels and ages is also very useful. I wouldn’t have even attempted to teach English without this course.

Incredibly useful & helpful course

The practice teaching classes were incredibly useful. It gave an idea of what to expect with all levels of learners and all age-groups of students. The classes also proved useful to give me an idea as a teacher, of what activities work, what activities don’t work, how much time teaching certain grammatical topics usually take and how to present instructions and activities to students in a way that they would understand. The feedback from Ellie, my TEFL trainer after each class helped for me to gauge what areas I needed to improve on and what I could do to improve on them.
Ellie was incredibly helpful in answering any questions I had, as well as guiding me on all things related to being an English Teacher living in a foreign country. Her experiences of moving to Peru and teaching English were not only insightful but very interesting and informative. Her delivery of the course offered a hands-on practical approach to finding work and being a successful EFL teacher.
Being in a smaller group of trainees allowed more time for one-on-one feedback and discussion, not only separate from, but also within the group itself. All trainees had ample time for discussions within class and we all had the opportunity to really get to discuss different points of view and hash out differing opinions of class activities and other relevant TEFL matters.
I think I would have been able to teach English without the course but it would have been a very confusing and stressful situation. This course gives me the confidence not only to teach but to better understand students and to use materials in such a way that the grammar/vocabulary involved becomes clear to understand and use.
I appreciated the fact that the course at Sunset Club was carried out in a very casual setting, open to discussion and debate. Regardless of this, it was also very enlightening and offered opportunities for getting to know Peruvians in a more rural part of the country, in terms of the way they think and live, which is much different from those in the bigger city areas, which cater more to tourists.

An Awakening Experience

Every day proved to be an awakening experience. I kept saying (to myself), how in the world does our trainer gather such a firm foundation in the knowledge that she is bringing to the class? The delivery of the material was very engaging . . . and her energy was like “the Energizer bunny” – never ending!
The practice teaching classes made the class gel into a unified product. The 10-hours was just right as this allowed for a building of the necessary skills in developing lesson plans, working on classroom organization skills, and working with various levels of students under constantly changing situations.
I am very thankful for this experience. The trainer brought a group of individuals unrelated in many ways into a group of cohesiveness that was able to produce a quality product (TESOL) in 4-weeks.

An incredible course

I think I could of given teaching a go without having completed this TEFL course, although not with confidence and structured lesson planning that I have now. The practice classes were the best hands on experience for preparing you to be a teacher, I learnt how to properly engage with the students and read their expressions on successful an activity was. I think it was a good length of time, more experience is always the better.
Our TEFL trainer was amazing, passionate, pretty on the eye, assertive, and very professional.
Being in a small group was a nice experience and it meant we all got the help that we needed, I think that in a group of 20 you could easily get lost in the crowd.
The location at Sunset Club was one of the most amazing qualities of this course, the best classroom I have ever had.
Overall it was an incredible course, an amazing accomplishment for it to be over and I am excited to take these skills out into the big bad world!

Absolutely amazing!

Absolutely amazing! Ellie teaches from experience, unlike many others. The manner of teaching is the same way she expects us to teach, if that makes sense. The course has been so intense, but the month has passed so quickly!
The small group approach is perfect. The extra time Ellie was able to spend with each of us has been priceless.The teaching time was sufficient. I hopefully unlearned a few bad habits like doing all the talking. I gained a lot of new information about teaching resources and ideas. And I learned that, yes, I can still teach.

A wonderful program

My practice teaching classes were very useful, and practical. I learned about what different levels of English learners sound like and this is helpful for me going into teaching on my own. I think 10 hours is just the right amount of teaching practice. I learned how to design a lesson plan from scratch and how to hit the target of 70% STT and 30% TTT, which I think is extremely useful for being a better teacher. I am incredibly happy I chose this program for many reasons, but specifically because of the practice teaching that I had.
Ellie is incredibly knowledgeable about the subject of TEFL and Grammar. She delivered the course materials in an engaging manner, and she ensured we understood. The pace of each lesson was good, and she managed to cover a lot of material in a very organized way. She truly cared.
I am very happy I had a small group. Six people was a good amount for peer teaching, and pair work. I felt like a real person in the class, and that my opinions were heard, and that I mattered.
I do think I would have been able to teach English without this course as I have some experience with EAL and an EAL specialization from my Education Program. However, I would not have been near as knowledgeable about the grammar, concept checking, STT and TTT. Therefore, I would not have been as well rounded and able to teach effectively.

A Very Casual & Positive Environment

I really liked our small group. We had the opportunity to learn from each other, but it was small enough that we could ask lots of questions. I thoroughly enjoyed my course here in Zorritos. I learned everything that I hoped to and more. I can't think of a better location to take a month long intensive course than right on the beach. It was a very casual and positive environment to learn in. I feel confident and prepared after completing this course.

Keep Up The Good Work

I think I would have been able to teach (without having completed this TEFL course), however I wouldn’t be very focused or know what I am doing. Creating the lesson plans has been a great learning experience. The practice teaching classes were the most useful part of the course. I learned a lot of lesson planning, time management, and thinking out of the box from the practice classes. I feel 10 hours is a good amount of time. Anything more might be too much. I feel the 10 hours prepared me well. The trainer was very well prepared and it was obvious they were very knowledgeable and experienced with the material. The delivery was very easily understood and interesting. Having only 4 trainees was great! I feel I got lots of personal attention from the trainer because of the small group. With only a couple other trainees we were able to get to know each other better and develop more trust.
Awesome location. I wish it was closer to Zorritos to eat at night etc. however I love the Sunset Club! It’s a very relaxing location and allowed to me focus on my learning. My room was nice, more than adequate for the month. So great to have an ocean view! Love the access to pool, beach, ping pong etc.
I really enjoyed my time at TEFL Zorritos. The instructor was awesome and went above and beyond her duties to help us all. I think the location was great to take the course. I feel extremely prepared to teach because of our ten hours of teaching experience from the course. I really had a wonderful time. Ellie has been such a great resource for so many different things. Keep up the good work.

A Wonderful Setting

My classes were very helpful. I have taught in the past, but not as organized. I learned how to properly organize a class. This was the perfect amount of practice. I felt challenged, but sometimes that is what's needed. Ellie is a pleasure to be around, and very competent. On top of this, she is a big help with things that pop up outside of class. She is always willing to help. As for delivery, she was always prepared and stayed on track. I much prefer a small group. When there are many students, you don't receive as much individualized attention. Sunset Club is a very wonderful setting. It made coming to class a pleasure. My hosts were very nice to me. The bungalow was kept clean and provided with everything I needed. My experiences here in Zorritos have been wonderful. I can't think of a better environment in which to take a class. Ellie is a fantastic teacher. She has a lot of patience with us! Overall, I feel that I have learned a lot this month.

A Good Gateway Experience To Working & Living Abroad

I was very happy with the cost and experience. Ellie is professional but also goes above and beyond with assisting in all matters. I thought she would balk when I first mentioned that my whole family was coming along. I was very grateful for her acceptance and over the top help with finding just the right place. I also appreciated the choices she provided. I in no way felt it was her obligation so I was thrilled with the very personalized service. We all bonded with Karen and Flavio. The young dog running around was fine for us even nice but I imagine not for everyone. I think Ellie is very talented and running a very professional operation with a personal touch. I really applaud the whole experience and her efforts. I was thrilled with the TEFL Zorritos experience, I think that this is a really good "gateway" experience for anyone interested in working and living abroad.

So Thankful For The Education I've Received

The practice teaching classes were essential to my understanding. Working with local ESL students provided the realistic classroom experience that took my learning to a new level. I not only had a chance to practice my teaching skills, but to work with students of different levels. I believe that you can never practice too much, but what practice I had was enough to feel confident in my ability.
Ellie was wonderful. Her wealth of knowledge and effortless instructional style made the course informative and enjoyable. Her kind and gentle manner are both reassuring and comforting.
I couldn’t imagine taking this course with 10-20 people. I wouldn’t have gotten enough Ellie time. The personalized instruction that results from the small group is so much more helpful.
I would have been able to teach English without having completed this course. I considered it. I’m glad that I didn’t, because it would have been quite a struggle to navigate the unknown world of TEFL without the understanding that I currently possess. I am so thankful for the education that I’ve received as I venture off to the real world.

I would recommend TEFL Zorritos to anyone

I have looked at other English teaching classes and this one was the one that looked and sounded the best. I would recommend TEFL Zorritos to anyone interested in teaching English as a foreign language. The practice teaching was invaluable, the students were non-English speakers and it gave me real world experience. I learned to not have a pre-conceived thought of what the class would or should be but to be able to adjust the lesson to the needs of the class at the time of the class.
Ellie was an excellent trainer. She is very knowledgeable and clearly passionate about teaching. She explained grammar points well and was great at modeling how our teaching roles should be done.
The class I was in was only 4 students. I liked the small size it was a more intimate process of learning.
I don’t think I would have even tried to teach English without this course. I would not have had the ability to explain the grammar point. I would not have been able to experience teaching non English speakers and would not have any idea how to.

Absolutely Amazing!

Our TEFL trainer Ellie was absolutely amazing!!!! I am in amazement of her professionalism and ability to deal with difficult people. She is very knowledgeable of the information, and her delivery was very smooth, organized, and simplified enough for laymen to comprehend.
The teaching practice classes were very useful. The challenges and unexpected situations, such as maintaining peer relationships with difficult personalities, all build experience. The 10 hours was a good introduction. I tend to over-plan, so more practice teaching would be nice, but I couldn't imagine fitting more into the time allotted during this accelerated program. 3 hours per week, was plenty.
I wouldn't have been able to teach English without completing this course. It would be like trying to drive a car without ever seeing someone drive nor ever having been inside a car before. TEFL Zorritos gave me the building blocks of a foundation to teach a foreign language to non-English speakers.
Lunch was always delicious. Sunset was very accommodating for my dietary needs (gluten allergy). Trying to organize my own lunch would've only taken away from time to relax after eating & added stress of watching the clock and trying to get back to class on time. A prepared lunch and one hour break works well together.
And a beautiful location!!! The employees (Oscar, Juan, Cesar, etc.) are all amazing people!!!