Teaching House CELTA - USA Multiple locations
Teaching House - A better class of teachers Header Image Teaching House - A better class of teachers Header Image

Teaching House CELTA - USA Multiple locations

• Course Instructor

A program with a genuine track record

I graduated with my CELTA in 2009 from Teaching House. It was an intensive 2 month, part-time program that required me to commute 2+ hours to NYC a few times a week. Although it was cold and the commute was a hustle, to date this was one of my lifetime's biggest accomplishments. The caliber of teachers were high quality and we had adult students from the New York city area to work with. We were evaluated almost every day and no two instructors were alike, which gave you a 360 degree view of your teaching skills. I was off to South Korea later that year proud that I earned my CELTA. I gained instant respect from my new colleagues because they know what this certification represents. If you can get to the NYC area in a reasonable amount of time definitely go with Teaching House!

• Course Instructor

Shannon is a great teacher and coach!

Shannon! She was a great teacher and coach! She was a complete professional. Shannon stayed completely focused on the tasks and teaching at all times. The only time Shannon ever incorporated personal perspectives was when it was relevant to classroom concepts or International teaching. I would enjoy the opportunity to learn more from Shannon in the future!

• Course Instructor

There are so many things I have learned from this course

There are so many things I have learned from this course. I have gained so much knowledge about teaching. I think the general knowledge of teaching has benefitted me the most, within many things such as lesson planning, classroom management, teaching methods, all of it. Very useful.

• Course Instructor

I gained a lot about teaching

How to apply more theoretical knowledge of language into practical teaching methods, as well as giving me experience with various skill levels that helped me to see what approaches work better than others with different levels

Really helpful

I think that every aspect of this course was beneficial to me. If I were to narrow it down, however, I think I would point out how beneficial the daily input sessions were, as well as the constructive feedback from tutors on the teaching practices. Being able to have real experience teaching adults from around the world and have practical tools to structure and improve how to teach the lessons along with both positive and negative feedback from the tutors made for an extremely useful and beneficial CELTA course.

I learned so much!

I learned so much during the CELTA course. While I initially had no idea what to expect, I now feel like I have the tools necessary to become an effective ESL teacher. I still have a lot more to learn, and I know that practice is key, but I feel far more prepared than I did five months ago. I’m aware of my strengths, my weaknesses, and how I can further improve.

Beneficial

I benefitted from knowing that there is a whole lot that goes into teaching than meets the eye. In fact, I went through a period of getting discouraged because saw that I may not have the passion that my tutors or the experienced teachers in the videos have. I learned that teaching is very hard and there is a lot that goes behind the scenes, so to speak. the course also provided me with resources, where I can look for ideas for teaching materials, but also books and online sources where I can find out more about techniques of teaching.

Teaching as an Art form

Above all, the CELTA course gave me an appreciation for teaching as an art form, one requiring an undying and disciplined commitment to self-improvement. I was pushed beyond my comfort zone and have grown into a much more maturely reflective person. It was an amazingly invaluable and positive experience for me.

• Course Instructor

I earned so much from each input that we had.

I never felt that a single input was a waste of time - video or otherwise. I earned so much from each input that we had. No input was fluff or felt like just trying to fill time. All of it was substantial. I also learned very much from observing the other trainees. Initially I was going to take the course online, and I am so grateful that I didn't. Being with the other students taught me what I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Excellent suggestions and feedback

The guided lesson planning and post-teaching feedback were the most valuable part of the course. Suzanne Schumacher, Sarah Greet and Sarah Adams gave excellent suggestions and feedback without spoon-feeding anything. They guided me very well from knowing nothing about teaching to thinking independently as a teacher.

• Course Instructor

Hands down to TP and feedback observations

The TP and feedback observations hands down. Looking in the mirror for a month daily was no easy task but very, very helpful. Also to prep and do everything yourself on tight deadlines. Everything about the program course design clearly had an objective to make one a better, strong, more self aware, evolved human being. Bravo !!!!! I'll be back for a DELTA one day.

Phenomenal

The feedback was phenomenal. The written, spoken from peers and trainers was invaluable. I learned to identify areas of improvement for myself and valued greatly the candid and honest input from all. This was so needed and I will institute this in whatever courses I present and plan in the future (beyond CELTA) . The types of lessons for the 9 TPs covered a great variety. I feel now that I've been through the course, I want to go back and refine these as well as create new one.

• Course Instructor

I felt supported and encouraged

The course gave me the basics, guidance, a lot of practice and the confidence to become a great teacher! I really like the practical approach of this course but in combination with the theory. Throughout the course, I felt supported and encouraged.

Excellent

So hard to narrow it down! The tutors gave excellent feedback, so I was really able to hone in on points for improvement and work on them for the next TP. Our CELTA group was also really great - we all helped each other a lot.

Gained confidence

I gained confidence in myself and teaching through many things: learning classroom management techniques, MFP, the frameworks for the different lesson types, error correction. I loved that the tutors in our input sessions would involve us in demo lessons so that we could see the technique, structure, framework, etc. in action!

• Course Instructor

CELTA certificate=one of the most coveted intro TEFL cert in the world

This course is tough! I took this course twice actually (1.5 more technically), being that the first time I took it I had to withdraw halfway through the course due to work conflicts. Both times I took it at their NYC location. The second time I took it, ownership of the company had changed hands (the originals founders of the school had sold it) and it showed, as I don't think the quality of the teacher trainers wasn't quite as high and a certain type of energy seemed to be lacking in the school. Not that the second time I took the course I was disappointed... it was a fine course the second time around, but it just didn't blow my socks off in awe the way it did the first time. Anyways, the course is really tough, which is why the CELTA certificate is so high-esteemed in the teaching world. Side-note: if you can take it abroad, you might want to consider that though, as I've heard of others taking CELTA courses outside the US for about half the price of what teaching house charges. Oh, and prior to the beginning of the course, Teaching House will send out a link to a an optional online grammar course provided by Cambridge English for something really cheap like ten dollars: imho, this online grammar component should be required, not optional, as those who didn't take it in my CELTA course were at a clear disadvantage in latter stages of the course.

Teaching House Chicago CELTA course

The experience of going through CELTA at Teaching House Chicago was incredibly rewarding and one of the hardest things that I've done in my life (even though I have a university degree.) The trainers and the administration were fantastic. The students that sign up for free classes at TH Chicago are amazing. I've learned so much getting to teach them.

Definitely worth it

I attended the Teaching House CELTA course in New York City. Cambridge University has a high standard for giving certifications in their name, so it's no surprise that this was one of the most intense courses I've taken. However, the course structure and material was excellent, and the teachers were top notch. After the course, I definitely felt ready to step into any foreign teaching assignment, and the continued support is great as well. The fact that some assignments around the world specifically require a CELTA certification (and will not accept any other TEFL certificate, even if one already has a bachelor degree) makes the CELTA extremely valuable. The best part of the course was teaching real students every other day, so it gave us the experience of teaching different levels of learners, and learning how to handle different challenges that come up during the course of teaching. I definitely recommend Teaching House's CELTA program for anyone contemplating a TEFL course.

CELTA = ESL SUCCESS

After searching for months to find the best ESL certification/degree, I decided to go with the CELTA. I wanted a certification that would open doors to all countries (including the USA), was suitable for a new teacher, and would give plenty of teaching experience and feedback. CELTA WAS IT. I anticipated a lot of stress, hard work, and late nights. And though these things were experienced, I felt so much more joy, empowerment, and confidence than I had expected. After earning my CELTA, I had a son and became a stay-at-home-mom. However, CELTA has given me 2 excellent online teaching opportunities. The employers love to see it on my resume. One day, we will move oversees again and I know that my CELTA will open up even more opportunities then. THANK YOU to everyone who instructed, supported, and encouraged me along the CELTA journey. Teaching House trained our whole class to be excellent ESL teachers.

Teaching House ESL certification course

Great course! I am an independent consultant and teach quite a bit for clients so I thought I probably had a good foundation for taking this course. Other than the skill of getting up in front of a room, most everything else was new and different. I'm so glad I took the course. They thoroughly taught and structured real practice for teaching ESL. It was intense AND invaluable. I didn't have plans to go abroad. My intention was always to use it as a volunteer both now and later on in retirement.

It's really remarkable what it led to. I am teaching a class for non-English speakers who have cancer. I spent a couple of months developing the program which is part Cambridge-style ESL, part patient advocacy, and part using the participant's native language with a singular goal of helping people communicate through the process of managing their illness. I truly am grateful for Teaching House and the role it has played in helping me create this very unique program.

Exceptional quality in CELTA training

The Teaching House CELTA was by far the best educational experience of my life, in terms of professional development. The structure of the course, which combined practical "real world" classroom teaching from day 2, with the theory of teaching English was outstanding. The staff were professional, generous and supportive. I now teach law in an Australian university, but I still use the classroom management techniques that I learnt at CELTA as the foundation for my day-to-day teaching skills. I cannot rate the course highly enough. An online course could never provide the same depth of understanding and experience as the University of Cambridge CELTA. Thank you again Teaching House NYC!

CELTA certification

Doing this course was the best decision I ever made. We jumped right into teaching and were taught practical teaching methods that worked. It was helpful also to watch other teachers teach because you learn a lot from them as well. Since this course I have gone on to teach at multiple schools abroad, as well as pursue a MA degree in TESOL. But quite honestly this hands on experience was more valuable to me than some of the theory driven graduate courses I've had. If choosing a quick way to get certified, I would definitely opt for Teaching House CELTA certification over any online TEFL course.

Can you imagine?

Here I was, a twenty-five year veteran of teaching--middle school, high school, college--mostly language and literature, some social science, who really wanted the skill set necessary to teach TEFL. And what do I do but drop a hefty fee to take the CELTA 10-week night course and pray I hadn't made a mistake.

Well, mistake is wasn't. Rather, it was the best thing I could have done. The teachers (Kim & Sharon) were great, uplifting, rigorous, challenging, comprehensive (enough descriptive adjectives yet?), but mostly thoroughly thorough (Yes, redundant, but important). We finished the course on St. Paddy's night and two of our colleagues left within the week--one to Costa Rica, and one to Saudi Arabia. Two weeks later another grad sent a post that they needed more CELTA-trained teachers where she worked locally, was anyone interested?

As for myself, with a full-time job I began volunteer teaching at a nearby university, collecting 60 contact hours last Spring, 40 last summer, and I will continue this fall with an eye to being able to use this meager start to pursue the listings for some plum overseas appointments real soon!

An excellent choice

TH offers comprehensive certification programs which match rigor with high quality support from superb trainers and staff. My experience was quite enjoyable overall and, looking back, also quite formative.

Hands on, modern, practical

The teachers were well seasoned, insightful and just plain good. Their method - communicative method - is modern and practical. The course itself was well structured, informative and very hands-on. I really learned a lot and gained so much confidence after taking the class. It really inspired me. I taught later using this method and it was really fun and effective.