Teaching House CELTA- Melbourne
Teaching House - A better class of teachers Header Image Teaching House - A better class of teachers Header Image

Teaching House CELTA- Melbourne

• Course Instructor

Helped me to come out of my shell.

The course has helped me come out of my shell. I am quite introverted so it has shown me that I can put myself out there. I discovered a love for language. I wasn't aware that this would be so interesting to me and would like to study Linguistics at some point in the future.

• Course Instructor

A practical and highly worthwhile course

Despite having already taught ESL for several years, this 4 week course opened my eyes to a whole new way of teaching. There is very much a focus on student-centered learning and having an interactive classroom, which I found to be highly effective. The course is of course very intense, but if you're not trying to juggle work at the same time then it is very achievable. Holmes College was also well-equipped with computers, libraries and various classrooms.
All the tutors were knowledgeable and willing to help, even if it did mean navigating around the 'CELTA way' of doing things. I feel so much more prepared to take on teaching English and I would highly recommend anyone considering the same to do this course.

Amazing Melbourne

Taking the CELTA abroad was a great experience where I got to meet people passionate about pursuing the same career I had chosen, but from all over the world. I've built wonderful friendships and also acquired some amazing hands-on experience with classroom management, time management, language research, and how to do what is best for your English language-learning students. I've already gotten two responses back from job applications to enter the interview process, and I think it is safe to say that it is because of the CELTA.

Melbourne is a wonderfully liveable city. The food prices may give you sticker shock from time to time, but the transportation is good, it's easy to find a variety of housing options, and the people are interesting and friendly and multicultural. I've really enjoyed my time here in the city and with the course and I definitely would recommend it to others looking to start a career in ESL.

• Course Instructor

Intense and worthwhile experience to EAL teaching

This 4 week intensive course provided me with the necessary insight to teach EAL students to complement my secondary school teaching qualification. Be prepared to to take the necessary time off from other work commitments, as you will be spending your time either lesson planning or working on assignments if you want to do well, as you need to be fully committed, otherwise you will struggle along the way to keep up due to the pace of the course.

The tutors, Lauren, Diana and Dan were extremely helpful and accommodating to all the CELTA trainees, including those with some teaching experience like myself and others who were completely new to teaching. During the pre-interview with Daniel Schulstad, it became apparent that his calm, humorous, composed and professional manner made it easier for me to share his vibe and feel comfortable to try to think outside of the box on numerous occasions by trying different things during the TP lessons whilst equally blend in with and assist the other CELTA trainees. It also allowed me to feel at ease with myself. Likewise I became comfortable being witty at times and was able to build rapport with the students during the 4 weeks.
What made the whole experience really enjoyable was that everyone was willing to learn off each other, giving tips and feedback to assist to become better at teaching. As a result, I have managed to make friendships along the way, with people who share the same compassion, desire and willingness to teach overseas.

• Course Instructor

An intense and practical approach to teaching

Having just completed the 4 week long course it is important to emphasise the intensity of this course. Despite the numerous warnings, this course will require other activities to be suspend, especially in the first 3 weeks. However, due to this format, the content which is learnt can be reinforced through application either in lessons or assignments.
While the initial stages can be very daunting, especially if you have limited teaching experience, the practical nature of the course combined with the ample opportunity to teach provide a fluid path to gain your bearings in teaching. The feedback provided, as well as the information from input sessions, gives a solid direction to which areas you can improve in.
Overall, compared to other programs, this is definitely a well designed course for those who are seeking to get a qualification with invaluable experience and are also able to commit the time required.

A practical course

I have to say that the experience of taking this CELTA course has become the highlight of my stay in Melbourne so far. It's an absolutely practical course for training to be a teacher. The observation of the experienced teachers was what I enjoyed the most in this course, as the teachers were really really great! Another thing I appreciated was the support between peers and from our tutors, Meggan James, Daniel Schulstad, and Briony Hewitt. Everybody was supportive and encouraging.

However, as a 'foreigner' in this course, what really struck me was the remarkable difference in the ways of class interaction between here and my own culture(China). As much as I had imagined that teaching would be more interactive in western society, never had I grasped the point of student-centered. So, personally, what I've gained from this one-month training is far beyond language teaching itself, but the equality, student-involvement, and the support between one and another which are probably critical in education. I want to thank all the teachers and tutors who demonstrated these merits in their classes. Thank you all!:-)

• Course Instructor

One of my best experiences in life! Thank YOU!!

It was my first 'assignment' after moving to Australia. Melbourne has always been amazing. It's certainly one of my favourite cities in the world. Thus, doing my CELTA at Teaching House, Melbourne, was an automatic choice. In spite of being a non-native speaker and without any prior teaching experience, I had no real problems fitting into the group right from day one. The sessions as well as the activities were really engaging, very much in line with the curriculum for CELTA. Needless to say, I gained some priceless experience over those intensive four weeks.

Those were the toughest, yet the most amazing four weeks of my life! All credit to my wonderful group mates and out fantastic tutors - Maggie Brown and Meggan James. Their command over the subject and their method of teaching was commendable. What fascinated me the most was the energy they brought into the class, which was so contagious. The pre-intermediate and the upper-intermediate students that we got an opportunity to teach were the real stars of the program, extremely supportive and eager to learn all the time. It certainly helped us - the budding ESL teachers. Last but not the least, I must thank Daniel Schulstad (Dan), the Director for the program. There are so many things I could write about this man. Right from the day he interviewed me for the course, over Skype, till the day our certificates from Cambridge were dispatched, he was a thorough professional. Great sense of humour, calm and composed. I am sure he would continue to do a great job. He is someone who truly understands the needs of a CELTA aspirant, very approachable.

The only area, if I were to pick for improvement could be, the job assistance. Nevertheless, thanks to my CELTA certificate and the training I got, I am midway through a few offers having already grabbed an opportunity to teach intermediate students from Brazil via Skype. So many thoughts crossing my mind right now, so many memories and bonds to cherish. Sincere thanks to each and everyone who was a part of my wonderful CELTA journey. I would highly recommend the CELTA program at Teaching House, Melbourne to all TEFL aspirants.

Regards
Partha

Great course

This course was taught by teachers with wonderful experience to draw on, who had great insight into the trainees' progress. They mentored us, supported us and constructively criticized our lessons. The continual peer and self-evaluation process encouraged us to separate ourselves from our teaching practice and to consider new and dynamic ways of encouraging students to learn. Other people involved in the course, like the IT staff and observed teachers were warm, open to dialogue about the profession, and offered extra support. Thanks to this course I feel much more confident about my ability to teach EAL, and to continue to get better at doing so.

Thoughts on my CELTA course in Melbourne April 2016

So glad to have finished the gruelling full-time CELTA course. Having no experience in teaching, the entire course content was new to me. I know how to use grammar properly, but I never thought learning how to discuss and use it would be such a steep learning curve. The workload only subsided in the last week, which had fewer assignments.

I found the workload to be just tolerable, as it took me time to become familiar with lesson plan requirements. The course forces you to prioritise and allocate your time well. My advice is to unplug the television for 4 weeks, and restrict your employment preferably to nil. I used some nights of the week for recovery, however others were not so burdened.

The course is hugely practical, and for all the nit-picking of the tutors I can see there is a "CELTA way" of doing things and I agree with the format.

I am pleased with my grade, and the End of Course Report is detailed and fair. My only reservation is that some of the requirements are not taught, however the job of a teacher (there are a few in my family) requires adept multitasking and research, so this is an area where I can improve. I look forward to kickstarting my new career.