Teachers for Vietnam Header Image Teachers for Vietnam Header Image

Teachers for Vietnam

• Support Services

Wish I could have stayed longer

My experience teaching in Vietnam through Teachers for Vietnam absolutely could not have been better. I had wonderful students, a great relationship with the staff at Long Xuyen University, and just an overall really great experience. I could not have been happier, and honestly wish I had stayed longer. I found the people incredibly friendly, the living conditions phenomenal, and the overall quality of life spectacular. I hope to return to Long Xuyen one day.

Also, of note: the program director is very kind, very generous, and very accessible. One of my favorite memories is of getting to know John when he came to visit. Working with and getting to know John was one of the best parts of the experience!

Teachers for Vietnam review

I worked as a teacher at Can Tho University in 2010 and it was one of the most challenging and formative experiences of my life. Anyone looking for a truly unique experience abroad would be wise to consider a position with TFV. In order to be successful one must be both flexible and resourceful. Both logistical and cultural obstacles sometimes proved frustrating when it came to scheduling and support but the work you put in to your time is returned to you ten-fold.

A year in Can Tho

My year teaching English at Can Tho University is one I will never forget and one that would not have been possible without the financial, emotional, and logistical support of Teachers for Vietnam. From their thoughtful school placement to generous stipends and frequent e-mail check-ups, I constantly felt like I was set up for success. During my time in Can Tho, I explored almost all corners of Vietnam and visited many other Asian countries... I repelled down waterfalls and road my motorbike through busy streets... I tried congealed duck blood and threw a Halloween party for all of my university students... I really can't say anything bad about Teachers for Vietnam, only a big thank you for all of the amazing memories!

Highly recommend!

Teaching in Vietnam has been one of the best decisions I've made, and I'm so glad I chose TfV. Having the opportunity to teach, live amongst the locals, and travel throughout Southeast Asia was absolutely life changing. Teachers for Vietnam provides their teachers with a livable salary, flights, and health insurance - far more than other programs I researched and applied to. Additionally, their personal support got me through some tough periods of transition - I was easily able to connect to their Executive Director if I needed anything and he always responded in a timely manner, despite being in New York.

The program itself offers freedom to create your own lesson plans, allowing you to teach to each specific class, and a flexible schedule allows time to meet with students outside of the classroom, which I found invaluable to both their experience, and mine! I highly recommend this program.

Once in a lifetime

I originally went to Vietnam to travel. I thought, hey, this is a great way to travel to another part of the world at a discounted rate, and all I'd have to do is teach English.

Teaching English to my students was one of the best parts of my trip. They were respectful, eager and always made me laugh. Additionally, I learned how to be more of a leader and step outside my comfort zone.

So even though I had originally gone with one goal in mind, which was to travel, I got way more than I expected to out of it.

A life-changing experience

Teachers for Vietnam was absolutely a life-changing experience for me. It was certainly a difficult adjustment, living abroad and teaching abroad. However, the small organization meant I was in direct contact with the Board and the Director and I was able to connect with alumni very easily. The program also keeps in contact with you even after your service so I was made aware of potential applicants and how the program was changing. I would 100% recommend TfV!