120 hour in-class TEFL in Shanghai, China
Teacher Link  Header Image Teacher Link  Header Image

120 hour in-class TEFL in Shanghai, China

Teaching Nomad experience

Teaching Nomad was a great program. The staff was always available to help and offered support at every turn. The teaching practice programs were also excellent, because trainers were attentive and my classmates were serious about trying to become better teachers. They also cared about getting everyone a job afterwards, and tried to give everyone a good fit. I would recommend this program for anyone wanting to teach English abroad.

Finding myself in Shanghai

Throughout my time in the TEFL program with Teaching Nomads, I was allowed the opportunity to get to know other trainees in my same situation as well as other teachers who had previously trained in the program and graduated. The Trainers at Teaching Nomads are very intelligent and capable instructors with great passion for their work.

• Course Instructor

I would have been lost without this course

The teaching nomad course in Shanghai was better than I could have ever expected. The amount of practical experience far exceeded my expectation. I thought about doing the online course, but I am happy I didn't. The opportunity to actually teach classes made me much more prepared for my job (which they helped me find!) The staff is unbelievably helpful and kind. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in teaching abroad.

• Course Instructor

Great course in Shanghai!

(May 2017) TEFL course student in Shanghai, China. Being new to teaching, after years of working in the sales/business development world, I found the course to be extremely thorough and detailed in covering the most relevant and important aspects related to prepare you for success as a new teacher. The course covers practical in class theory, coupled with hands on live teaching practice at mid to large sized Chinese public schools, in addition to practice at Teaching Nomad's smaller size classroom setting in Shanghai. As a newcomer, I found every aspect of this course valuable. Classroom teaching will cover subjects like lesson planning, classroom management and Chinese cultural background. While the course was challenging, the program's director Ginger was exceptional. He was organized, helpful and encouraging every step of the way. I highly recommend this program.

Great!

This course offers quality, well-structured courses with easy to follow modules. I can get the point and the teaching skills quickly after learning. And the trainer can help you when you in trouble, you will become more confident and love teaching.

Highest quality teaching experience

I would like to thank all the staff members who have helped to make this experience a very enjoyable one. I feel that teaching Nomad are a very professional set up and care dearly about the quality of students they turn out at the end of the course. Thank you very much.

Awesome experience

This intensive 4 week course was well structured, preparing all trainees for a teaching job overseas. The trainers were very competent, fun and engaging making the intensive side of it something to look forward to. Highly recommend Teaching Nomad to anyone considering teaching in China.

• Course Instructor

Great experience and real preparation

This course is a great way to break into TEFL in China. It's no walk in the park but that's what you should be looking for in TEFL course that will actually prepare you for teaching. You'll get plenty of teaching experience and observation experience too. The instructors are fantastic and the group of people you take it with will also, most likely, be really cool too. If you do well in the course you're also going to fall into a job pretty easily.

Excellent experience

It was a wonderful experience to attend . I have had lots of first hand experience which helped me a lot for self development as a teacher. I really liked the method they follow to built the basics of teaching.Best part of this course is to have experience the whole situation as a teacher.

Great experience with Teaching Nomad

Taking part in the in-class TEFL course with Teaching Nomad was an incredible experience. Even before the course started, I received from Ginger valuable support and answers to all my questions. The course in it-self is an impressive combination of theory, practice an encounters! Not only you get to learn How to Teach but TN offers a variety of hands on teaching practice; from kindergarten kid to adults, from small groups (5-10) to public school classes with 40+ students. Although quite intimidating at first, you can be sure that thanks to their constructive feedback, support and practical tips, the great trainers, alumni and classmates will make you feel comfortable very quickly :)
Being there in October was a fantastic opportunity to bond even more with the kids through Halloween celebrations!
It has been a great adventure and undoubtedly a huge help in finding a job as an English teacher in Shanghai or China. I recommend this course to everybody, especially those ready for a life changing experience.

What a great experience

I have never been a teacher in a classroom. I did not have any experience with this. So I decided that I should go with a classroom TEFL. I'm extremely happy that I did. I had a opportunity too teach eight times. In the four weeks class. That gave me some experience. Also some valuable lessons for me. How to improve and become better. I also got to watch others do classes. From other students in the TEFL. Also the instructor gave classes. So you could see them also. I learnt a lot. So I'm grateful that I did this. I feel that I gained valuable experience from this course. I would do it again. In a heartbeat.

Learning

This August, I was very happy to meet TEFL and make many friends. And I learned that a good teacher you can't say the negative things to the parents about them children . Also I have learned some teaching skills like using body language and flashcards to teach students. Through this month, I learned how to control the students, as before might be I don't have power in class.I remember my first class some of the students was out of control . After that class I became more powerful.By the way, to observed Ginger's classes had a great help for me.

Victor's unforgettable TEFL experience

I live in Shanghai and I'm a Chinese teacher in Wall Street English. My manager recommended me to have this course because she said that's useful in teaching practice. Actually, it is really cool and I really learned a lot. My target students are always adults, however, in the part of teaching practice, I tried my best to teach young kids, which gave me some new directions for my career. I like to talk with and teach children. Ginger, Steve, Nik and Lisa are all very very experienced trainers and they helped me a lot in lesson plan and gave me constructive and useful feedbacks. For Chinese trainees, TEFL course is very worthy for you to join in. You can make friends with foreign classmates.

Teaching Nomad 10/10

Teaching Nomad really did come through for me. They helped me from beginning (preparing for the visa and flight) to end (getting hired at a great ESL school). The program itself is exactly right, its not the hardest thing in the world, but it also isn't a cake-walk. Its exactly as advertised: a one-month INTENSIVE course that will throw you into the world of ESL. During the course you will be thrown directly in the ESL world and you may even have a moment of doubt, but soon you will realize that the people at Teaching Nomad know exactly what they are doing. By the time its over you will be able to walk into a classroom of Chinese learners without skipping a beat and look and feel confident doing it. I am really happy I decided to do this program. This is the real deal.

Why not?

If you're like me and want the adventure of teaching abroad, there's just no reason not to do this. I was gonna teach without the certification but it's tough to do so legally. Next you look through all the programs and you won't find a cheaper one than this. Finally, you take this course and get really good placement offers, so even if you only stay for a year this program pays for itself in salary upgrade. No matter how you look at it, it just makes sense to do a TEFL certification. This course is the very best I could imagine at doing that in a comfortable, challenging, effective, efficient, and economical way. Schools know and trust Teaching Nomad, so you get offers before you even interview. The instructors are fun, kind, and helpful, but you only get out what you put in. Three weeks of solid effort will yield the best results you ever got from such a small investment of time and money.

Real world teaching

Nothing prepares you better for teaching English as a foreign language better than getting up in front of a class and just doing some actual teaching. With many chances to observe other teachers and several practice classes guided by my own lesson plans that are followed by feedback from professionals, this program really helped me get ready for teaching English in China.

Zero to Hero

I was thoroughly impressed by Teaching Nomad's in class TEFL course. Ginger and his team do a fantastic job in moulding you with all the necessary skills to become a competent teacher. Prior to enrolling in the course I had no experience teaching English. I even had issues speaking publicly. By the end of the 4 week period I was competently teaching a class of 20 plus students. Something I never could have dreamed possible from an online TEFL certificate.
The practical side of the course with applied in class training really did add huge value. Not only are you equipped with the theory and knowledge of how to teach, but you're placed in front of volunteer ESL students and required to actively teach using the skills you adopt. They really do take you from zero to hero.
The culture shock of entering China (if it's a first time) is made a lot more tolerable as well, with TN streamlining the whole assimilation into Shanghai life. All in all a great course run by professional and competent trainers. I'd highly recommend to anyone considering a job in the profession.

Many thanks Teaching Nomads!!

Awesome program

The TEFL Program in Shanghai was one of the best experiences I've had. Not only does the program give you a way to go abroad and live in beautiful Shanghai, China, but it gives you essential experience and instruction learning how to teach English as a foreign language. Instructors and class time are great, and the practice you acquire teaching real English classes to students during training is invaluable. Amazing support, job connections, and just help living life abroad from our instructors! We a family now! ^_^ I have a teaching job in Shanghai now immediately following the course, and I know if I ever want to go anywhere else in the world my TEFL certificate and experience I gained during the course are the ticket that open up job opportunities anywhere! If you're thinking about doing it, just do it. You won't regret it.

Grateful for the experience

Thank you Ginger and the team for providing me the opportunity to learn so much during the course. Teaching practice was especially useful and was organized excellently. Through practice and the mistakes we made we were able to learn a lot thanks to our teachers’ professional feedback, guidance and support. They guided us through our teaching experience and trusted us to become better teachers. All of us were able to improve greatly. I also want to note that since the beginning of the course the organization was very good and everything was looked after. Special thanks to Ginger who showed great management and punctuality. He took all of our concerns or questions seriously and was very attentive to detail. He never left any problems unsolved. It was a real pleasure to be around such a professional.

GREAT EXPERIENCE!

If you're having a tough time deciding whether to take the 120 hour TEFL certification online or to make the journey to China, I cannot encourage this course in Shanghai enough! It is definitely worth every penny and every minute of hard work. The course is well designed, presenting the abundance of material in fun and relevant ways. Most importantly, having no prior teaching experience, the hands on teaching was absolutely priceless! As for the program manager and trainers, they're incredibly supportive and there for anything that comes up along the way. When I was sick, I couldn't believe how kind and helpful they were. It is very evident they truly care not only about the work they're doing, but also about the well being of the trainees and their overall success in the course. Thank you for everything Teaching Nomad!

• Course Instructor

The greatest TEFL course in China!

If you are looking for a comprehensive (and seriously fun) TEFL course, then I think that I have found the perfect one.

The 120 hour in-class TEFL provided by Teaching Nomad in Shanghai, was the most amazing experience. Everything was dealt with in a professional manner and the support I received from the whole TN team was out of this world. Coming to China can be quite an overwhelming experience but with this team behind you, you cannot help but succeed.
The course is well-structured and gives you plenty of teaching practice which is incredibly useful. The trainers are all wonderful and go well beyond their job descriptions to help you in any way possible- be it academically or on a more personal level.
The job support that I received was great and I have no doubt that I will be very happy in the position that they helped me to find.

Another great thing about this course/company is that they keep in touch with and introduce you to previous trainees, so you end up meeting a bunch of extra people (from all over the world) along the way who can help you with your teaching, job questions, general 'life in China'advice and also who become your friends.

Thank you so much to everyone on the TN team- Ginger, Nicole, Nik, Lisa, Sophia, Maggie and anyone else who I may have missed. This has been a truly fantastic experience!

Awesome!

My TEFL experience with Teaching Nomad has been an incredible one. Everyone from administration to the trainers has been incredibly helpful and responsive.The course was well designed for us trainees to comprehend and to better learn, understand, and experience the life of an English teacher in Shanghai. Ginger, Nicole, Lisa, and Nik has been amazing through out the course in answering every questions we had and coming up with every resources we needed. Thank you Teaching Nomad for this amazing experience!

100% worth it

I cannot recommend this course more. The minute I contacted Teaching Nomad enquiring about TEFL, I was greeted with an email from Ginger, instantly connecting to my concerns and enquiries as well as adding his own anecdotal experiences of his teaching/life adventures in China. Not only did he explain the course in great detail but gave me advice and assistance on housing, visas, connecting with previous trainees, and every other questions I threw at him. The course itself was an amazing tool in defining what teacher I am today. It doesn't just contain theory but a lot of practical experiences. Experiences you will not get doing an online course. They throw you in the deep end, there is a lot of work; but they want you to succeed and be the BEST teacher you can possibly be. I had never taught in my life, but after the course I had so much confidence in teaching any age between 4-12. The teachers Ginger, Nicole, Lisa and Nik, plus all the trainees from previous courses were there from day one; only filled with support, positivity and a helping hand whenever any of us needed it. Whether it be from finding a job, to asking them to translate at a restaurant for us! Once the course ended the support still continues. This course is 100% worth your money and time!!!

Teaching Nomad Review

Obtaining a TEFL certificate under Teaching Nomad was not easy, but worth the struggle; the staff was first-rate, and the experience through observation and hands-on teaching of TELF classes was invaluable. I was also surprised by the amount of assistance I received while in Shanghai, even after I completed the course. I am particularly indebted to Amalia Mattock and Ginger de Ridder for their assistance in the job hunting process.

• Course Instructor

"It's easy to be a bad teacher", so learn not to be one

I took the TEFL 120hr in-class course in TN TEFL Academy, Shanghai and I was so glad that I've did it. I got to understand how to help students improve their English in different kinds of doable and effective ways. I liked that the course had explained not only the perspective as a teacher but the perspective as a learner as well. Good teachers should always be ready to adjust to the student's needs.
The theories and material covered in the course were realistic (very user-able). Although the study workload was very heavy, it would be worth and paid-off as soon as the teachers applied the theories or the teaching skills into their own classes and noticed how effective they were.
I love one of the quotes from my instructor, Steve, "It's easy to be a bad teacher," as it reminds me of how to NOT become a bad one. I strongly believe that teachers should never stop learning.

During the course, the manager was beyond helpful. He was caring to all the trainees and always offered help when needed. Last but not least, the TEFL course is an intensive course and don't expect it is easy. But you will not go wrong for the time and effort you spend if you plan teaching as your career. For any teachers who are looking forward to improve their teaching skills, I would highly recommend taking this course with TN TEFL Academy.