120 hour in-class TEFL in Shanghai, China
Teacher Link  Header Image Teacher Link  Header Image

120 hour in-class TEFL in Shanghai, China

Learning to teach in Shanghai

I was very nervous about doing the course. I have been to Shanghai once before but that was for one week. I was not sure how I would do for four weeks. Everyone was helpful when they could help. I had trouble with getting my phone to work and they was able to help me with that. The instructions to get to where to classes were being held was good and they even had pictures of certain parts as you got close to help find it.
The course will start off a little slow but it will speed up fast. That may sound bad but it is a good thing in that you will be busy working on actually teaching students as well. Even if you are scared or unsure teach at least one class. It can be scary but once you try you get a better idea what it is like and you may like it. I was nervous but after my first class I wanted to do it again to get better.
The trainers are helpful and they are friendly. There will be a lot to take in but I think it is worth it and a good experience.

A month in Shanghai

Overall, it has been a very worthwhile experience getting to know the teachers here and living in Shanghai. The teachers were very well versed with the material, and more than eager to answer any questions you might have about the job hunting process, lesson planning and core curriculum. Their expectations overall were very clear about the expectations for the course and its content; however, they could have been a little more specific regarding how the observation forms work, especially with smaller class sizes. They were very helpful when it came to helping me get settled in Shanghai, getting set up with a bank account, a public transportation card, etc, especially once I arrived in the city. They even had somebody who came over and picked me up from the airport by taxi to take me to my intended hostel. Shanghai is a great city too, if you're intimidated by the prospect of moving to a completely foreign city, because it is very cosmopolitan and international; a lot of the people here have a working knowledge of English and experience in dealing with foreigners. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to get their feet wet first before diving in to take the first plunge. Just maybe expect some hassles along the way when it comes to getting your visa and documentation in order for your pre-trip departure; that was quite a headache for me, but otherwise, it was a great course.

Awesome learning experience

It is an awesome learning experience with Teaching Nomad. I took the combined course with 10 days of teaching practice with them and thought I should have gone with the full four-week programme instead. The practical experience gained from the course is invaluable and those are what you can't get from online reading.

The trainers are really great and affirming. Their teaching experience in China and attentiveness to the learning needs of every course participants impresses me. They make sure every question we have in class is answered. Special thanks to Ginger, Nik and Daniel for being such wonderful trainers and helping in every way you can.

From lesson planning to classroom management, there are guidance and support given to make sure each teaching practice is a learning experience. The feedback sessions after each teaching practice have been really helpful in developing my teaching skills. I have learnt so much on classroom management and its effectiveness on teaching. The exposure to public school and small group teaching practices has certainly benefitted many of us in getting ready for the real teaching job.

Teaching Nomad Tefl - Sept 2017

This course far exceeded any expectations I had. The instructors were knowledgeable, efficient, interesting, and always willing to share practical advice for real life teaching in Chinese schools and language centers. From the very first week of the 4 week course, my fellow classmates and I were immersed in the day to day world of actual classroom teaching, with real live students and typical teaching scenarios. I truly feel ready to teach after this intensive course and the best part is the continued support from Teaching Nomad staff.

Highly recommended

I moved from my parents house around the world to a new city at 21 years old, and it was by far the most amazing challenge and experience of my life so far. The teaching nomad course here in Shanghai was better than I could have ever expected due to the content and experiences as well as the super helpful staff and instructors. I considered undertaking the course online but Im so so glad i didn't: the amount of practical experience far received from putting the learning content in to practice and being able to reflect upon my teaching sessions is invaluable. The opportunity to practice and teach classes has really benefitted my practice and knowledge/understanding on teaching english, and will allow me to have more experience for working. The staff is unbelievably helpful and kind, and were willing to help with whatever you needed whenever you needed them, from helping to adapt to the new style of life in Shanghai to giving constructive feedback on teaching sessions. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in teaching abroad, of any age.

• Course Instructor

A professional and fun course

Teaching Nomad runs a course that far exceeded my expectations. The instructors are all excellent teachers who have years of experience in Shanghai and are always willing to help with questions related to teaching or to daily life. The course is designed with an emphasis on practical teaching experience, and everyone is able to teach classes of different sizes several times a week. You'll have help from the Teaching Nomad staff and alumni during the job and housing search. This is a phenomenal program for anyone looking to jump into life in Shanghai.

Awesome

Program met most of my expectations. I found that program definitely helped once I found a job. The course focused heavily on lesson planning which was incredibly time consuming outside of class. This made things stressful at times considering I had also recently moved to a new country.

Excellent course!

I enjoyed this class. The teaching experience was invaluable. It was overwhelming at first, but once I understood how to lesson plan and learned the more nuanced components of a lesson, it became more manageable. I would recommend this course to others. One of my friends is doing a similar course in Mexico currently, and she was shocked to hear how supportive and integrative the staff at Teaching Nomad is. I feel that my classroom teaching experience and feedback sessions have prepared me for the situations I will face in my own class. I am glad I chose Teaching Nomad!

• Course Instructor

Really a fun and warming experience, everybody very caring and interested in you as person

I would recommend any one to do the course, it really is a fun learning experience and you learn so much more about teaching, Shanghai and friends. My experience with the course was really great and there was so many new opportunities when starting with the course, you learn about the foreign language the interest of students, teachers and friends.
Everyone is really caring and you would never have to worry about having any troubles in Shanghai, Ginger's always there.

Teaching Nomad experience

Teaching Nomad was a great program. The staff was always available to help and offered support at every turn. The teaching practice programs were also excellent, because trainers were attentive and my classmates were serious about trying to become better teachers. They also cared about getting everyone a job afterwards, and tried to give everyone a good fit. I would recommend this program for anyone wanting to teach English abroad.

Finding myself in Shanghai

Throughout my time in the TEFL program with Teaching Nomads, I was allowed the opportunity to get to know other trainees in my same situation as well as other teachers who had previously trained in the program and graduated. The Trainers at Teaching Nomads are very intelligent and capable instructors with great passion for their work.

• Course Instructor

I would have been lost without this course

The teaching nomad course in Shanghai was better than I could have ever expected. The amount of practical experience far exceeded my expectation. I thought about doing the online course, but I am happy I didn't. The opportunity to actually teach classes made me much more prepared for my job (which they helped me find!) The staff is unbelievably helpful and kind. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in teaching abroad.

Good for a first time ESL teacher in Asia

Taking the online TEFL course through Teaching Nomad was super convenient and upon conclusion they assisted me with finding a job in Shanghai. Teaching Nomad was always there to guide me through every step of the process.

Shanghainese dream

The trainers are excellent in giving in helping you along this road (rollercoaster?), they pave the way for your success going forward both on the course and in the real world. The intensive nature of the course together with the small class sizes ensure thee best experience to progress. Prepare yourself for big ups and downs but remember those ups will be some of the best experiences you may ever have.

• Course Instructor

Good for first-time teachers and first-time international travelers

Honestly, I don't have a lot of real-world experience. Before this year, I've never been to another country, much less traveled there preparing to live by myself without knowing more than "please" and "thank you." This program has not only been helpful to me in terms of teaching education, it's been extremely helpful in the ways of navigating a foreign culture and job market. I know that I have a support system whether I need advice on job offers, bank accounts, hospital visits, or even buying SIM cards. I have more confidence in my teaching abilities after this course, and I don't have to stress about the simple things.

• Course Instructor

Great course in Shanghai!

(May 2017) TEFL course student in Shanghai, China. Being new to teaching, after years of working in the sales/business development world, I found the course to be extremely thorough and detailed in covering the most relevant and important aspects related to prepare you for success as a new teacher. The course covers practical in class theory, coupled with hands on live teaching practice at mid to large sized Chinese public schools, in addition to practice at Teaching Nomad's smaller size classroom setting in Shanghai. As a newcomer, I found every aspect of this course valuable. Classroom teaching will cover subjects like lesson planning, classroom management and Chinese cultural background. While the course was challenging, the program's director Ginger was exceptional. He was organized, helpful and encouraging every step of the way. I highly recommend this program.

Great!

This course offers quality, well-structured courses with easy to follow modules. I can get the point and the teaching skills quickly after learning. And the trainer can help you when you in trouble, you will become more confident and love teaching.

Great experience overall

Thoroughly enjoyed the lesson. Staffs were supportive and friendly, lessons were interesting, and the hands-on training was very beneficial. I can confidently say I came out of the course with the ability to teach students English, assess their abilities, and manage a crazy class of 3rd graders. The course was structured intensively so be ready to put in some work!

Highest quality teaching experience

I would like to thank all the staff members who have helped to make this experience a very enjoyable one. I feel that teaching Nomad are a very professional set up and care dearly about the quality of students they turn out at the end of the course. Thank you very much.

It went by so quick

I had a lovely time with the program and got to learn so much in such little time. Met lovely people and loved the Shanghai area. Teaching in a public school is definitely a experience I won't forget.

Awesome experience

This intensive 4 week course was well structured, preparing all trainees for a teaching job overseas. The trainers were very competent, fun and engaging making the intensive side of it something to look forward to. Highly recommend Teaching Nomad to anyone considering teaching in China.

• Course Instructor

Great experience and real preparation

This course is a great way to break into TEFL in China. It's no walk in the park but that's what you should be looking for in TEFL course that will actually prepare you for teaching. You'll get plenty of teaching experience and observation experience too. The instructors are fantastic and the group of people you take it with will also, most likely, be really cool too. If you do well in the course you're also going to fall into a job pretty easily.

Excellent experience

It was a wonderful experience to attend . I have had lots of first hand experience which helped me a lot for self development as a teacher. I really liked the method they follow to built the basics of teaching.Best part of this course is to have experience the whole situation as a teacher.

• Course Instructor

First steps as an EFL teacher

This course was really useful to me. It helped building my teaching proficiency, giving me some precious tips and knowledge. The 8 hours teaching experience were a big plus, and the trainers were all very good.

Best decision ever

The course was very well-planned out, the teacher training hours and observation hours were very helpful , and the feedback sessions were also very useful. The instructors were all very professional, i would definitely recommend this course!