TEFL | University of Toronto Faculty of Education
A kid doing a thumbs up pose A kid doing a thumbs up pose

TEFL | University of Toronto Faculty of Education

Great program!

University of Toronto's TEFL online program is awesome. You can go at your own pace and the course is very easy to follow and understand. I specialized in Business English and Teaching English to Young Learners.

University of Toronto

This course is self-guided and rather simple to navigate. I found it extremely useful to do this online TEFL certification course since it didn't interrupt my school or work schedule. Should you need any assistance, the staff is pretty quick to respond to your questions or fix any issues with the online portal. I'd definitely recommend this course to anybody looking to do online TEFL certification.

• Course Instructor

Great experience to sum it all up

The course has met my expectations. It's a great value for a language teacher to revise some basic data in theory of language, approached to teaching, psychology and pedagogics. It was also useful to learn more about teaching Chinese students, compare systems of the Chinese and English languages. What I really appreciate is the tutor's help in all the cases: quite a quick feedback on questions, practical answers and recommendations.

• Course Instructor

An experience full of overwhelming joy

Let me start off with gratitude towards the University of Toronto and TeachAway for allowing me the opportunity to utilize the necessary tools to excel in their program and to be listed on their Honorary graduates. The course is very comprehensive and rich; outlining the very important elements in everyday teacher/student dialogue. The slides, one after another is very engaging and user friendly. It almost feels as if you are centered in front of a live classroom of which you must initiate your daily template. The course fee was well worth it when compared to the plentiful of material and education for real-life encounters.

Ama ama ama ama-zing

I transitioned from law to education and quite a transition it has been. With this TEFL course my knowledge and understanding of education of education in its entirety, my perception of this profession has changed and my transition was made effortless.

I enjoyed the easy accessibility of the program, can be done anytime, anywhere. You work at your own pace and the year allocated for completion is more than ample to complete even with those of us in full time employment.

The course content was presented in such a manner that it can be understood by anyone regardless of background. It was informative and has opened my eyes in such a positive manner to the profession. I found that the course content covered all aspects of the profession from background theory and principles to practical classroom management. A brilliant way to be introduced to the field of education.

I have been fortunate enough to apply these new concepts to my current teaching and the confidence I have comes from the platform that I have been provided with from this course.

Now to the human side of the program: absolutely incredible support. I have always had prompt response to everything from journal submission to IT queries and personal requests. The staff are honestly stars. They are professional in every sense of the word and it has been a great pleasure to have been in association with each and every one.
A small shout out..... WELL DONE to all!

If you are deciding to take this course, you will truly not be disappointed. it is more than enrolling in a course, you enrol in a family.....

Good luck!!!!!!

Positive experience

I had a great experience working with Teach Away. Their correspondence was nearly immediate and my questions and concerns were always met. The content was very informative and interactive - it was never a dull moment. The program was very enriching and it drove my inspiration in becoming a teacher greater than before. Having graduated the course with the tools and resources it provides, I feel extremely confident as a certified TELF instructor. Thank you!

My experience of tefl Online at the U of Toronto -

I have taken this course between June and August 2013 and then two modules which were Teaching English for Young Learners and Business English.
In a modern environment and completely on-line delivery this course taught me everything I need to have the confidence to apply for a TEFL teaching job. The course has a lot of video and audio that add more to the information and advice from the experts. I think that this course fully covers the theoretical and practical aspects that you might need to know to be a successful teacher. I highly recommend this class especially that it is backed by Teach Away's support for you to find your dream teaching job.

Great course!

I enrolled in the University of Toronto's TEFL Online course as I was looking for an online TEFL certificate that would assist me with teaching abroad. I found the course to be very practical, with lots of useful information and suggestions that I will be able to apply when working with ESL learners. It was great to be able to work at my own pace through the course and I have kept copies of the additional hand outs that are provided throughout the units. Overall, I found this course to be a great addition to my education degree and I look forward to using my new skills when I teach abroad in South America later this year!

• Course Instructor

Loved the course, thanks U of T TEFL!

I signed up for the University of Toronto's TEFL course primarily because the course was developed by - and the certificate is issued by - an academic institution and imagined that U of T would be recognized by employers. I am also in full time employment as was attracted by the fact that the course was self paced.
I loved the course and I learned more than I thought I would! I'm now about to start looking for a position overseas but really feel that I am prepared to start teaching abroad.

Course content

Hi,
I´m already abroad working in an international school, so I took the course merely to get an additional teaching certificate. I actually really enjoyed the content and felt there was lots of practical advice for lesson planning and structure. I haven´t used any other resources from teach away yet because it hasn´t yet been necessary, but I´ll keep checking the site for jobs, since my family and I are planning to relocate at the end of the school year.

An enrichment experience

I am a Spanish speaker who already is in eight semester of my Bachelor's program of Teaching English as Foreign Language in a Colombian University, in South America. I am already working part-time as a teacher in an international school where I live. Therefore, I considered and still consider that this TEFL online course certification from the University of Toronto will strengthen my resume and open new opportunities for me, to complement my training and experiences, meanwhile I finish my degree. This is why, perhaps, I was ok with this TEFL course not having or offering an active and synchronic communication with English professors online for the teaching practice part. I would recommend that English teachers really respond to students with meaningful feedback on the journals and activities the course requested. The name of a university is useful but is not everything. In my case it was very useful, because I am already working to get my Bachelor's degree. Each student must look for what they need depending on their circumstances. I am really grateful to have found this course online.

Great experience

The course was very informative and interesting. The content was relevant and I appreciate how the instructors added their own experiences in the lessons. Some of the information was basic information but for those new in the field, it could be very helpful. Overall, I like how we could work at your own pace especially for people who have day jobs. Definitely would recommend this course.

Expanding my opportunities

I have been privileged to travel abroad before I completed my TEFL certification through the University of Toronto, except I was wanting not just to travel abroad, but live abroad. I had tried numerous of times to relocate abroad to Asia (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong or China). I was offered jobs before, but they were low paying jobs at language cram schools. The fact that I did not have a TEFL certification was limiting my selection of job opportunities. When I found out about this particular online certification, I was at ease because it was being offered by a world renown university. All online TEFL certificates are not created equal and many businesses or schools abroad have learned this fact. I enjoyed the curriculum from the online course and I learned a lot of techniques that I could even utilize within my social studies classroom when I lived in my hometown of Fayetteville, North Carolina. Our school systems are very diverse and have many students who are ELLs. Finally, at the end of last year's academic year back home in the USA, I applied for an opportunity to teach in Guangzhou, China. The man who interviewed me at the time, now my main supervisor, said that my TEFL certification was a major deciding factor in hiring me for this position to teach ELLs. Overall I am greatly impressed with the quality of instruction provided by the course and I would highly recommend this program to anyone seeking a certificate to teach English as a Foreign Language.

Excellent online course

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and comprehensive nature of the course. I would highly recommend this for anyone who wished to do a TEFL course online. The courses were challenging, but well suited for anyone wishing to be prepared for a future teaching English abroad.

Halfway There!

I really enjoyed my experience with the University of Toronto's TEFL Certification Program. The program allows you the time to complete the course at your own pace, which can be really helpful when you're juggling other obligations as well. While I haven't had the chance to put my certificate to use, I feel really prepared for when that time comes, and I'm excited to be in touch with Teach Away to discover what opportunities are out there!

TEFL Online with U of T

Going through the process of a TEFL online certification with the University of Toronto remains one of the toughest things I ever ventured into, but I am glad I did. If I had a little inkling of how tough this online course would be, ... Truth is, I undermined its seriousness and work load. I am so proud I made it through.
Consequently, my congratulations goes to you guys! It isn't easy pulling off such an online course, and always being on ground to monitor and manage it. It was 99% hitch-free. Bravo!

The process was hectic, in-depth and experiential despite the online nature. I loved the assessments. I had to study thoroughly so as to pull through.

I look forward to receiving my certificate in 4-6 weeks. It would be such a pleasure. I look forward especially to teaching abroad soonest! I dare say, I am well-armed!

• Published Content

Well coordinated and thought-through course.

Excellent support from staff when needed.
Well planned, supported and executed course.
I have recommended your course to other trusted comrades.
I am an instructor in GCC countries.
The value of your course for the money is very good.

Rigorous and quality content

I had some important choices to make about which program to select based on the time it would take to complete the program. I do not mind that this program was rigorous. I am very unhappy that people representing your program were not more honest about the fact it was going to take way over 100 hours to complete. This is a good program. Just be honest about the time it will take to complete.

• Course Instructor

Easy to navigate, work at your own pace

I had experience teaching EFL abroad but needed a TEFL certificate for my new employer this year. I was working two jobs full-time and the University of Toronto program was a great fit for me because I could work through it at my own pace during my free time. Happy to say my TEFL certificate helped me secure the new position as well as start my own small business abroad as an English teacher.

If there was anything negative about the program, it was that there were no job opportunities listed in Budapest, my target city, so I used other connections resources to find employment there outside of TeachAway in order to find my current job. So career coaching is not so great for anyone looking for a job in Hungary. I also felt like anyone who didn't have any classroom experience might be at a disadvantage with the online program only; like I mentioned, I did have previous experience and I'm glad for that because I would've been rather lost my first day in the classroom otherwise.

That said, since I was too busy working to attend student teaching whilst I was working through the program, it was the perfect fit for me and my situation.

Great experience

The U of T TEFL online gives you ample time to finish the course. It's incredibly flexible and allows you to study and work with ease.
The course itself is informative and easy to follow. The readings and videos are instructive, and straightforward. The information is all relevant and up to date. It allows you to download the material for future reference, which I found to be useful.
The only drawback to the course is that because it is online, it doesn't allow you to interact with anyone or to bounce ideas off of anyone else. It is perfect for someone who has limited time for study.

A walk with ESOL students

I enjoyed this course. The structure, content, guidance ,assessments etc were all well thought out. I would recommend it to any one. Though I sometimes wished it was an in class course. The interaction with fellow students would have made most of the units come alive.

Very exciting and rewarding

Teaching abroad has its challenges if you're inexperienced or without an ESL certification. Nevertheless, it is an exciting and rewarding career which can open doors to new cultures, experiences and people!

Was not impressed

The course is very basic but without a teacher so it really was not worth it. They try and attract you with their partnership with Teach Away which is one of the worst programs to find a job. I can guarantee you will be more successful just googling, "teach english in (insert country)" as Teach Away is useless. I would not recommend this U of T TEFL course to anyone.

Overall Good

My overall experience with this certificate program was good. I enjoyed the structure of the classes and found the curriculum easy to follow. Exams were not too tricky but still required concrete knowledge of class material. Material was, in my opinion, too theoretical.

Great for working people

Great for working people. You can pace yourself and learn and you are able to put what you learn into practice in the classroom or work environment. Great videos and the questions make you think of how you would apply it to your working environment. Great program. Wish it was more connections that would help you get a job after you complete the program in the specialize area you get certified to advance your job placement in the world.