Sustainability Adventure Mobility Programs
Sustainability System Initiative Header Image Sustainability System Initiative Header Image

Sustainability Adventure Mobility Programs

Want to return!

My sustainability program through China with SSI was an unforgettable experience. The chance to visit cities, such as Shanghai, Xi’an, and Beijing, not only provided a great cross-cultural experience for my first time outside of the U.S., but also enlightened me to the unique cultures each city had to offer. The program constantly provided opportunities to learn, grow, and network. Moreover, SSI was not afraid to take us off the beaten path, bringing us unforgettable and breathtaking sights that I still dream of. Our tour guides knew the best places to get the best views, high and low, and were knowledgeable and accommodating in every other aspect. This experience opened so many doors in my academic, professional, and personal lives, while leaving me with treasured friendships, memories, and a thirst to return for more.

Disbelieve!

I was in disbelief that I would really be visiting another country, it wasn’t until our plane landed that I realized how real this was. I was anxious, I didn’t even speak enough Mandarin to ask where a restroom was, but the experience was amazing. We were brought to different universities and museums, and our guides did a great job of formatting the experience to fit our specific needs and educational goals. The entire trip went so smoothly in a way that would have been impossible to arrange on our own. They were able to source presentations from different companies in our industry, even though it is rather niche. When looking at my options, I was strongly considering a trip to English speaking countries so that I could avoid the language barrier, however this trip was everything that I wanted and more. We traveled all along the western coast of China, and in between our presentations and tours were able to visit some amazing locations! In all honesty, I thought I would dislike the trip, but I simply cannot wait to go back! My friends and family were sick of me for months after the trip, because it was all I could talk about. I had so many experiences, I only wish that I had kept a journal to keep track of them all. I know you’ll enjoy it as much as my group did, have fun!

Where to start?!

Where to start?! My China tour experience was one of the most amazing opportunities that I have ever had. Before my trip to China I knew next to nothing about Chinese culture and it was really something that I never went out of my way to expose myself to, Asian culture just didn’t interest me. During the program I had the privilege of experiencing Asian culture in all its beauty and I have come away with such an appreciation for the people and place that I didn’t have before. The tour experience was a great gateway that opened my eyes to so many new possibilities for my life. The program experience given to my class made ALL the difference. We were constantly given anecdotal information about experiences our tour guides had when they first came to China, they were very informative about Chinese cultural practices, general etiquette, and so many other interesting topics of concern. Additionally, SSI was a big part of what I learned in China. Our learning was focused on an incredibly interesting topic in sustainability and that same topic was so relevant and well themed with our China experience. I came away from the trip with such a wealth of information, that I had never dreamed of knowing before. I’d recommend to anyone who is thinking about trying an experience such as this to absolutely go for it!