Surfing Project South Africa
Surfing Project and Child Care Project Header Image Surfing Project and Child Care Project Header Image

Surfing Project South Africa

Love all around

During my two weeks volunteering with the most amazing kids from troubled backgrounds in the township Dunoon, in the outskirts of Cape Town, I made some amazing new friends among the other volunteers, my perception on life & taking things for granted changed completely, and I've created memories that will last me a lifetime. Being a part of the Surf Volunteer program was such a treat, because not only did we get to hang out with, socialise & get to know some of the local kids, but we got to surf/skate or hang by the beach at the same time. It felt like such an awesome idea, to have that sort of positive influence outside of school is really important when you live in an area where drugs & crime is part of everyday life for a lot of people - so I really believe in what SAFE is doing with this project!
Onto of amazing hours spent with the kids and their teachers, we also had a lot of free time to enjoy the AMAZING city of Cape Town! There's almost too many activities to be done (I'm definitely returning at some point to tick some more off my life) - such as wine tasting, bungee jumping, climbing Table Mountain, shark cage diving, the Cape Point tour where you can see little mini penguins, sunset hike up Lion's Head, shopping by the Waterfront, diving with seals, skydiving, parachuting - the list goes on & on! Saltycrax + House 22 where we stayed for the duration of the program were both SO homely, felt so comfortable there & THE FOOD THEY SERVE FOR DINNER EVERY NIGHT IS AMAZING! Bianca, the chef, was really something special - shout out to her top notch cooking! So all in all, I LOVED this experience, and I would both recommend it to others & do it all over again if I got the opportunity!