Student-Athletes Abroad: Summer Study Abroad - Costa Rica
Student-Athletes Abroad Header Image Student-Athletes Abroad Header Image

Student-Athletes Abroad: Summer Study Abroad - Costa Rica

Cultural and athletic immersion, educational

I stayed with a host family for three weeks, which helped improve my Spanish-speaking skills as well as helped me understand and grow with another culture. Although I am not an athlete myself, I was able to participate in daily workouts tailored to my ability level. The weekend excursions (zip lining, going to a hot springs, swimming at local beaches, etc.) were nothing short of gorgeous, but the weekdays were the most rewarding. During the week, I was partnered with a group that created an athletic program for underprivileged youth, and we also had the option to volunteer with the Costa Rican Special Olympics every weekday. The work we did felt valuable, and this will always be one of my favorite experiences.

A great experience!

I participated in the summer internship program this past June and absolutely loved it! It was the perfect combination of getting internship experience but also getting to enjoy traveling to a new place. Not only is it beneficial to be able to put on a resume but we also had the opportunity to be immersed in a different culture and be able to approach it with an open mind. I consistently felt safe and welcomed during my stay and would highly recommend this program to anyone!

Perfect for me

Beyond's goal to accommodate student athletes was executed to perfection. The blend of academics, training, travel and community service was an awesome way to spend my summer. I would highly recommend doing the combo program to get the most of your experience in Central America.