Medical Internships in Dublin, Ireland
Stint Ireland participants Stint Ireland participants

Medical Internships in Dublin, Ireland

Surgical internship through Stint

I did a medical internship through Stint from March until May of 2015. I've waited to write a review until it had been some amount of time since I left and I would be able to look back on my experience and see what I got out of it after some time. A year later, I am so immensely thankful to the Stint team for everything they did to get me over there and live my Irish dream for three months.
When I was researching internships in Ireland, the other programs seemed daunting and I wondered about their authenticity. That was never the case with Stint. Their team is so genuine and real since the first time we Skyped to interview, and we're just as great and supportive once you get to Dublin and begin your internship. But also keep in mind they are there as a support system and you will likely not see them until your support sessions or if you request a meeting. They aren't your parents and you will be living and working completely independently. For me personally, I grew up a lot by having to navigate the Dublin bus system and take public transport to the hospital every morning without anyone telling me how to do it, but once I learned and grew more comfortable, I was proud of my self sufficiency and independence.
As for my internship, I wanted to get medical experience so I shadowed a colorectal surgeon at the Adelaide and Meath Hospital in Tallaght. It's a 30 minute bus ride from the Stint house that I lived in in Portobello. My doctor was a very witty, cool Irishman and was great about showing me things and letting me shadow him both in clinic and in surgery. I saw so many cool procedures that I'm sure I wouldn't have had access to watch in the states. Looking back on it, I wish I had engaged more and not have been timid about how many procedures I wanted to watch, as opposed to the days when I would do research in his office. I was also able to take every Thursday off when my doctor was out of the hospital. I used those days to take day tours of the country. My doctor was very encouraging of me to use time to see the country and take as many trips and as much time as I wanted.
As for the living situation and social aspects of Stint, I am truly lucky to have had the housemates I did. I can't speak for it now as it changes depending on the current personalities of the Stinters, but I had an amazing group. They quickly became my best friends for those three months and we all still keep in touch over a year later. On weekends we would explore the city and the pubs and even sometimes take trips together. I chose a single room in the house and I believe that was a good choice for me personally, despite the price difference, as I need time alone and my own space.
Dublin itself is a quaint city that can be easily traveled or walked. It's one of my favorite places I've ever been to and it will always have a special place in my heart. The Irish people are as welcoming and funny and they have a reputation to be and love the craic (Google it). It took me all three months to be able to understand them, but now I miss hearing the accent everywhere I go.
I highly highly recommend taking a chance and seeing where this internship opportunity can take you. Yes, it costs money to live abroad and intern for free, but I don't regret using my savings on this incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience. Travel is the only thing that you can buy that makes you richer.