Join Spanish Studies Abroad this Summer and Study in Cuba!
Spanish Studies Abroad Header Image Spanish Studies Abroad Header Image

Join Spanish Studies Abroad this Summer and Study in Cuba!

The Unknown

This is a very unique program that was very eye-opening. I did not know much about Cuba or the Cuban people. I quickly learned how amazing both things are and the love and similarities that Cuba and the United States share. Obviously there are going to be difference but I spent my time looking for refreshing similarities.

The ability to live and learn with the very helpful Cuban people, as well as experience and study in a world-class education and societal environment is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The program is run flawlessly from the academics to logistics. I plan on going back to Havana someday soon and I will without a doubt be in contact with the program director. I trust him with all things Havana and would recommend this to any college age student regardless of the level of Spanish fluency.

This month in Havana opened my eyes to new ideas and ways of thinking, but most importantly gave me a love and respect of this city of Havana and the sincere, amazing and gentle Cuban people.

Spanish studies abroad in Havana, summer 2016

Spanish Studies Abroad provides a really great, immersive month-long program in La Habana, Cuba. The academics were rigorous: I took classes all morning at the faculty for extranjeros at Universidad de La Habana. That alone was a really interesting experience: The language of instruction was Spanish, and I was surrounded not just by American students, but by Koreans, Germans, Nigerians, and others. Many of us became friends, and explored the city together on afternoons and evenings. They give you a lot of freedom, which for a motivated student, can be really fantastic. I feel like I got a chance to experience the different neighborhoods of the city, primarily by finding art and music events in the local paper and then striking out on my own or with friends. The staff is top-notch: If you have a problem, they will help you solve it. As for the accommodations, my roommate and I stayed with a host family who had kids our own ages. I'm still in touch with them! I would recommend this program in a heartbeat.