Sol Education Abroad: Study Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico
Sol Education Abroad participants Sol Education Abroad participants

Sol Education Abroad: Study Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico

A native abroad

Living and Studying in Oaxaca, Mexico was a great way for me to connect with another culture while simultaneously reconnecting with my own. Not only did I perfect my Spanish, I also had the opportunity to learn Zapoteco and study the history of indigenous peoples throughout Mexico and the Southwestern United States. As a person of half Navajo descent, I saw many similarities between Oaxacan culture and my own. Even the indigenous languages like Zapoteco, Mixteco, and Nahuatl all seemed to have a connection to my mother's first language. My host family helped me a lot throughout my stay, and I have already re-visited them, and plan on visiting again soon.

BEST TIME OF MY LIFE

This is honestly the best program out there for studying abroad. I recommend Oaxaca, Mexico because of several reasons: Mexico is the United states neighbor (there fore it is very relevant to study abroad there and get to know the culture, regardless of what the current president thinks).Sol education is cheap(er) than other programs. You the best bang for your buck; including housing, excursions, food and classes. The program is very easy to work with and offers you actual Spanish classes that will transfer over to your college without a problem. Mexico is beautiful, enormous and very historical and the education you will get is very prestigious. Do not let the fear that is portrayed in the news sway you from choosing this program.

Amazing program! definitely recommend

I loved Mexico! My Spanish is a lot better I came in barely being able to under stand and now I am conversational! Great community! Great people! Everyone in Mexico is so nice! The professors are amazing!

I don't consider myself emotional but leaving Oaxaca was pretty sad!

SOL education gave me more than I expected. I enjoyed every minute of this trip, I didn't want it to end. I learned so much about the Spanish culture in three weeks! I love everything the program planned and I currently miss my host mom. I loved their food and home environment. It is worth every penny!

Oaxaca, Mexico

This is a great program if you want to learn Spanish quickly. There are many locals who love to help you practice and classrooms are more about learning than a grade, which relieves pressure and you're able to take everything in.

So many things to do, see, and learn. Amazing location, amazing food, amazing culture. Especially great for the closed minded and conservatives, you'll get to know so many beautiful things about Mexico, people, and the World here!

Directors are awesome. Would definitely do this program again and come back on my own as well!

Oaxaca, Mexico

I had a wonderful experience on this trip. I learned so much about the Spanish culture, custom, food, and history. The host family was the most challenging, but most rewarding, learning experience. :)

Amazing!

I loved Oaxaca. Hands down one of the best experiences of my life. The food is incredible, the people are kind, the culture is rich, and everything is very affordable! Sol does a great job of facilitating true immersion and being available for whatever issues might arise.

Definitely coming back

This program was AMAZING. Very well-organized and gave a variety of different cultural immersion and learning activities. Would highly recommend to anybody trying to learn Spanish!! I am currently writing this review from my host family's house who I came back to visit over break; once you've come to Oaxaca, you will just want to keep coming back.

My Oaxacan adventure

I had never been out of the country before going to Oaxaca, Mexico this winter. I can easily say now that it was the best adventure of my life. The food was great, the culture was different and exciting, the city was beautiful, and the classwork was actually interesting. I made some fantastic friends and I can't wait for my next adventure with Sol!

I fell in love with Mexico

Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience and I was fortunate enough to do so. Studying in Oaxaca Mexico was definitely an eye opening on this beautiful country so misunderstood and unloved by many. The assistance that SOL provided, the directors' availability, the teachers' patience, the hosts' nurturing care, the warmth of the Mexican community, the friendships that I made, the places I visited were all part of that memorable experience. I also visited Mexico City independently and this trip was the icing on the cake. I am travelling again with Sol in Argentina this semester and that says a lot about how I feel about the program.

SOL Oaxaca review

I got so much from this experience through SOL. I experienced and learned so much cultural, political, and local history from my professors, my directors, my host family, and all the people I met during my stay. I had the privilege of witnessing history before my eyes, especially the political activism of Mexican teachers. I had a phenomenal time. I enjoyed my trip to Mazunte, my bike tours of the city, my runs at the local park, my Oaxacan dishes, and my excursions to Hierve el Agua, Tlacolula, and Monte Albán. Oaxaca, you were too good to me! Te extraño ☺

Oaxaca was an amazing experience!

Oaxaca was a great eye opener, I was able to experience something culturally different than what I was used to. All the rich culture and history was truly astonishing! All the people I was able to meet were all incredibly kind and helpful with everything we could have needed, it is a very welcoming state.

Review of Oaxaca, Mexico

I had such an amazing time in Oaxaca, Mexico. All of the above rated 10 except for academics; only because almost 2 years worth of Spanish classes packed into 3 months has proven, for me, to not be effective. However, everything else about this experience has been phenomenal. I made great friendships, made lasting memories, saw so much history and lived in such a wonderful city. I often find myself daydreaming about being back in Mexico and reliving my time there. I feel in love with Oaxaca City, and feel that I left part of my heart there when I had to come back home at the end of the program. I was able to experience Mexican life: parties, food, music, language, dance, art, culture, architecture, and so much more. I love the slower pace of life there. I love everything about it, with the exception of the extreme heat during the dry season (upwards of 100+ degrees) and the mosquitoes and gnats. However, those things will never hinder my desire to go back. I developed a wonderful relationship with my host mom, I still keep in touch with her and I talk about her often! She made the best food and she was just so spunky! There would be evenings when she would tell me, "I'm too lazy to cook tonight, so let's go get some food around the corner!" Of course, it would be in Spanish, but she was a fantastic mom. She took care of me when I was sick and she even massaged pain relieving gel on my ankle/foot when I hurt it at dance class. She took care of me like I was her daughter. She loved us like we were her own, and I will forever be grateful for her love and her open arms. The cost of this program was great! It was definitely a deal compared to other programs. I, personally, live close to my campus, so I live at home with my parents instead of on campus. With that being said, this program cost me more than a typical semester, however, I would do it again if I could! The decision I made to go 2,300 miles away from home for three months and live with people I've never met and be in a country that was vastly different than my hometown was the best decision I ever made (second to accepting Jesus in my life). My life changed because of Mexico, and I'm eternally grateful for the opportunity to do this.

Excellent value!!!

I have every intention of going back to Oaxaca! I loved this program. This program is an excellent value. The value of this program is easily twice the price I paid for it. The classes we were nice but it was a nice balance between experiencing the Oaxacan culture while still having a solid education. I also appreciate the amount of time and opportunities the program allows the students to explore on their own really explore the city. The city is extraordinarily walk-friendly. You can get to where you want to be on foot. The city is beautiful and the weather is summer ready most of the time expect when it is raining. Be open to new experiences.

My abroad adventure

I never expected to go abroad and it have such an amazing impact on my life. Oaxaca is an amazing place to immerse yourself in the culture and language. I would recommend this program to anyone. I went to Oaxaca really scared, not knowing any spanish at all, but came out of the program not wanting to leave. I showed up to my host moms house, not knowing her, not knowing the language, and she took me in as her own. 7 months later, we have an irreplaceable relationship, my spanish has come so far, and a piece of my heart was left there. The spanish you learn in the classroom, you turn around and use it in your everyday life. If its in the street, talking to your or other host families, its really useful. I would recommend staying in Oaxaca as long as possible. You'll create so many memories, the excursions are so much fun and things you only see on the internet. If you're thinking about going to Oaxaca, stop thinking and make it happen.

Oaxaca summer 2016

It was a great new experience! I really enjoyed the people and the new things I learned about false cultural assumptions. I would suggest this program to anyone. SOL representatives were always kind and I felt they did the best they could to provide authentic cultural experiences and safety.

7 weeks in Oaxaca

I wouldn't have wanted to spend my summer any other way. Studying abroad in Oaxaca is probably one of the best decisions I have made. The city is beautiful and Sol gives you so many opportunities to see different places in Oaxaca. Hiking and zip-lining through the Sierra Norte mountains, swimming in the pools of Hierve el Agua, a weekend trip to Mazunte beach, or seeing the ancient ruins of Monte Alban are only a few of the many excursions we went on. You are immersed in the culture of Oaxaca everyday, no doubt. Oaxaca is very unique in terms of how people of different indigenous backgrounds live in harmony together in the same state. The directors of the program were all so kind and looked after all the students in the program with lots of care. They made sure we were all having a good time and always asked if there were any problems so they could make sure to take care of it. While studying with SOL I met so many new people from all over who were also doing the program. Everyone becomes close and we would go on adventures of our own sometimes when we had a free day or afternoon. School life was actually pretty enjoyable because you felt very comfortable with the instructors and your classmates (especially considering the fact that there were only about 2-3 other people in my classes). You learn a lot more practical Spanish in conversation class that is helpful when talking to locals or your host family, while applying what you've been learning in grammar class. My host mom, a charismatic widow named Alma, is so loving and has been hosting people since 2001. She doesn't speak any English, and although sometimes it might have been a struggle to communicate, it helped me improve my Spanish a lot. She cooked amazing food that I miss till this day! If you do ever end up going to Oaxaca, savor each bite of Oaxacan food you can get! Thank you so much SOL :)

Everything I imagined and more!

I am still thinking about my trip. I had such an amazing experience that I want to go back. All of my friends and family back in the States were blown away by my pictures and videos. I felt safe and well taken care of the entire trip. It was the perfect balance of school, excursions and free time to check things out for myself. Eva and Yeyo were awesome directors. The staff at the office in Austin were so great! They took care of everything and made the process so easy, and affordable!

Lifechanger

Before studying abroad to Oaxaca through Sol, I had never been on a plane or even in an airport. I was extremely nervous for the big step it was to spend a month in a foreign country, immersed in a language with which I was barely familiar. However, now I can say with full confidence that it was the best decision I have ever made, and I can't wait to one day return. I'm so grateful for all those at Sol who make trips like this possible for me and many other students. Through Sol's Spanish immersion programs l I feel that students get the unique chance to experience and develop appreciation for genuine culture by living it out every day. During my stay in Oaxaca, It was obvious that our Sol directors spent their every moment making sure us students were healthy, comfortable, learning and having fun. The directors and teachers were so full of life, enthusiasm and passion to share their language and culture in a way that can only be described as contagious. I consider my Oaxacan host parents and roommate as my own family, and I miss our meals, jokes, and dynamic of living every day. The excursions and cultural immersion activities offered an authentic perspective of Oaxacan culture and history. The people, food, dancing, art, hikes, beautiful views, rich history, even the heat and mosquitos - I hold it in a special place in my heart now. The other students in Sol that I was able to share a month with were some of the most unique, knowledge-seeking, fun people I've met, and I'm incredibly thankful that we were able to share our remarkable experience together. These are people and memories that I will never forget and an experience that continues to affect my perspective every day.

SOL is the best program I could have chosen!

There's no way possible to write a review that can accurately capture the marvelous experience that is SOL. I actually studied abroad in Costa Rica the semester before going to Mexico, and they were both fantastic! They're completely different, but both worth every minute. The program is extremely affordable yet still manages to offer everything a student studying abroad could imagine: cultural activities, excursions, immersion, awesome classes, and fantastic teachers. The support system is incredible as well! Sol also lets you basically design your own program. You choose your classes, housing situation (if you want apartment, dorm, or host family), and activities. Sol really sets you up to experience the cultural in a way that works for you yet also brings you to a higher level of confidence and independence. I highly recommend Sol Education Abroad for any level of Spanish speaker and world explorer!

Oaxaca study abroad - One of the best experiences ever

My study abroad trip was a great learning experience. Being immersed in the language and culture was the best way to learn about the language and the culture. I will always remember this trip and look forward to the day I can return to Oaxaca. Sol made it very affordable. Most expenses were covered ahead of time and I hardly paid for anything while I was there. Sol had everything arranged from start to finish and made this trip very enjoyable and stress free. I recommend this trip to anyone that can do it!

Time in Oaxaca

Overall I really enjoyed my time. I wouldn't trade the amazing experiences I had for anything in the world. I feel that I was very active as a student and the city and study abroad director really aided in that. I would recommend this program to anyone interested and feel as though it is more than a worth while experience. Thank you so much Sol.

Oaxaca, Mexico experience

This was my first trip to Mexico and I enjoyed my time. The directors and everyone in the Sol Education program were very nice and helpful throughout the entire process. They were very quick to respond back to me if I had any questions which I thought was unbelievable and saw that they were committed in making this trip the best.

History of Oaxaca

This trip was a very rewarding experience and it has so far been my favorite adventure. We had many opportunities through tours and field trips to explore Oaxaca in different ways, and there was always new food to try! I would recommend this trip to anyone!

Rockin' in Oaxaca

My time in Oaxaca City, Mexico was among the best experiences in my life. The culture change, the sounds, the smells, and even the people was intoxicating in the best way. Through living in a foreign country, you not only come to appreciate their way of life, but ponder yours as well. Oaxaca was a beautifully eye opening experience that I would recommend to anyone with horizons in need of expansion!