Sol Education Abroad participants Sol Education Abroad participants

Sol Education Abroad: Study Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico

My Oaxacan adventure

I had never been out of the country before going to Oaxaca, Mexico this winter. I can easily say now that it was the best adventure of my life. The food was great, the culture was different and exciting, the city was beautiful, and the classwork was actually interesting. I made some fantastic friends and I can't wait for my next adventure with Sol!

I fell in love with Mexico

Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience and I was fortunate enough to do so. Studying in Oaxaca Mexico was definitely an eye opening on this beautiful country so misunderstood and unloved by many. The assistance that SOL provided, the directors' availability, the teachers' patience, the hosts' nurturing care, the warmth of the Mexican community, the friendships that I made, the places I visited were all part of that memorable experience. I also visited Mexico City independently and this trip was the icing on the cake. I am travelling again with Sol in Argentina this semester and that says a lot about how I feel about the program.

SOL Oaxaca review

I got so much from this experience through SOL. I experienced and learned so much cultural, political, and local history from my professors, my directors, my host family, and all the people I met during my stay. I had the privilege of witnessing history before my eyes, especially the political activism of Mexican teachers. I had a phenomenal time. I enjoyed my trip to Mazunte, my bike tours of the city, my runs at the local park, my Oaxacan dishes, and my excursions to Hierve el Agua, Tlacolula, and Monte Albán. Oaxaca, you were too good to me! Te extraño ☺

Oaxaca was an amazing experience!

Oaxaca was a great eye opener, I was able to experience something culturally different than what I was used to. All the rich culture and history was truly astonishing! All the people I was able to meet were all incredibly kind and helpful with everything we could have needed, it is a very welcoming state.

Review of Oaxaca, Mexico

I had such an amazing time in Oaxaca, Mexico. All of the above rated 10 except for academics; only because almost 2 years worth of Spanish classes packed into 3 months has proven, for me, to not be effective. However, everything else about this experience has been phenomenal. I made great friendships, made lasting memories, saw so much history and lived in such a wonderful city. I often find myself daydreaming about being back in Mexico and reliving my time there. I feel in love with Oaxaca City, and feel that I left part of my heart there when I had to come back home at the end of the program. I was able to experience Mexican life: parties, food, music, language, dance, art, culture, architecture, and so much more. I love the slower pace of life there. I love everything about it, with the exception of the extreme heat during the dry season (upwards of 100+ degrees) and the mosquitoes and gnats. However, those things will never hinder my desire to go back. I developed a wonderful relationship with my host mom, I still keep in touch with her and I talk about her often! She made the best food and she was just so spunky! There would be evenings when she would tell me, "I'm too lazy to cook tonight, so let's go get some food around the corner!" Of course, it would be in Spanish, but she was a fantastic mom. She took care of me when I was sick and she even massaged pain relieving gel on my ankle/foot when I hurt it at dance class. She took care of me like I was her daughter. She loved us like we were her own, and I will forever be grateful for her love and her open arms. The cost of this program was great! It was definitely a deal compared to other programs. I, personally, live close to my campus, so I live at home with my parents instead of on campus. With that being said, this program cost me more than a typical semester, however, I would do it again if I could! The decision I made to go 2,300 miles away from home for three months and live with people I've never met and be in a country that was vastly different than my hometown was the best decision I ever made (second to accepting Jesus in my life). My life changed because of Mexico, and I'm eternally grateful for the opportunity to do this.

Excellent value!!!

I have every intention of going back to Oaxaca! I loved this program. This program is an excellent value. The value of this program is easily twice the price I paid for it. The classes we were nice but it was a nice balance between experiencing the Oaxacan culture while still having a solid education. I also appreciate the amount of time and opportunities the program allows the students to explore on their own really explore the city. The city is extraordinarily walk-friendly. You can get to where you want to be on foot. The city is beautiful and the weather is summer ready most of the time expect when it is raining. Be open to new experiences.

My abroad adventure

I never expected to go abroad and it have such an amazing impact on my life. Oaxaca is an amazing place to immerse yourself in the culture and language. I would recommend this program to anyone. I went to Oaxaca really scared, not knowing any spanish at all, but came out of the program not wanting to leave. I showed up to my host moms house, not knowing her, not knowing the language, and she took me in as her own. 7 months later, we have an irreplaceable relationship, my spanish has come so far, and a piece of my heart was left there. The spanish you learn in the classroom, you turn around and use it in your everyday life. If its in the street, talking to your or other host families, its really useful. I would recommend staying in Oaxaca as long as possible. You'll create so many memories, the excursions are so much fun and things you only see on the internet. If you're thinking about going to Oaxaca, stop thinking and make it happen.

Oaxaca summer 2016

It was a great new experience! I really enjoyed the people and the new things I learned about false cultural assumptions. I would suggest this program to anyone. SOL representatives were always kind and I felt they did the best they could to provide authentic cultural experiences and safety.

7 weeks in Oaxaca

I wouldn't have wanted to spend my summer any other way. Studying abroad in Oaxaca is probably one of the best decisions I have made. The city is beautiful and Sol gives you so many opportunities to see different places in Oaxaca. Hiking and zip-lining through the Sierra Norte mountains, swimming in the pools of Hierve el Agua, a weekend trip to Mazunte beach, or seeing the ancient ruins of Monte Alban are only a few of the many excursions we went on. You are immersed in the culture of Oaxaca everyday, no doubt. Oaxaca is very unique in terms of how people of different indigenous backgrounds live in harmony together in the same state. The directors of the program were all so kind and looked after all the students in the program with lots of care. They made sure we were all having a good time and always asked if there were any problems so they could make sure to take care of it. While studying with SOL I met so many new people from all over who were also doing the program. Everyone becomes close and we would go on adventures of our own sometimes when we had a free day or afternoon. School life was actually pretty enjoyable because you felt very comfortable with the instructors and your classmates (especially considering the fact that there were only about 2-3 other people in my classes). You learn a lot more practical Spanish in conversation class that is helpful when talking to locals or your host family, while applying what you've been learning in grammar class. My host mom, a charismatic widow named Alma, is so loving and has been hosting people since 2001. She doesn't speak any English, and although sometimes it might have been a struggle to communicate, it helped me improve my Spanish a lot. She cooked amazing food that I miss till this day! If you do ever end up going to Oaxaca, savor each bite of Oaxacan food you can get! Thank you so much SOL :)

Everything I imagined and more!

I am still thinking about my trip. I had such an amazing experience that I want to go back. All of my friends and family back in the States were blown away by my pictures and videos. I felt safe and well taken care of the entire trip. It was the perfect balance of school, excursions and free time to check things out for myself. Eva and Yeyo were awesome directors. The staff at the office in Austin were so great! They took care of everything and made the process so easy, and affordable!

SOL is the best program I could have chosen!

There's no way possible to write a review that can accurately capture the marvelous experience that is SOL. I actually studied abroad in Costa Rica the semester before going to Mexico, and they were both fantastic! They're completely different, but both worth every minute. The program is extremely affordable yet still manages to offer everything a student studying abroad could imagine: cultural activities, excursions, immersion, awesome classes, and fantastic teachers. The support system is incredible as well! Sol also lets you basically design your own program. You choose your classes, housing situation (if you want apartment, dorm, or host family), and activities. Sol really sets you up to experience the cultural in a way that works for you yet also brings you to a higher level of confidence and independence. I highly recommend Sol Education Abroad for any level of Spanish speaker and world explorer!

Oaxaca study abroad - One of the best experiences ever

My study abroad trip was a great learning experience. Being immersed in the language and culture was the best way to learn about the language and the culture. I will always remember this trip and look forward to the day I can return to Oaxaca. Sol made it very affordable. Most expenses were covered ahead of time and I hardly paid for anything while I was there. Sol had everything arranged from start to finish and made this trip very enjoyable and stress free. I recommend this trip to anyone that can do it!

Oaxaca, Mexico experience

This was my first trip to Mexico and I enjoyed my time. The directors and everyone in the Sol Education program were very nice and helpful throughout the entire process. They were very quick to respond back to me if I had any questions which I thought was unbelievable and saw that they were committed in making this trip the best.

History of Oaxaca

This trip was a very rewarding experience and it has so far been my favorite adventure. We had many opportunities through tours and field trips to explore Oaxaca in different ways, and there was always new food to try! I would recommend this trip to anyone!

Rockin' in Oaxaca

My time in Oaxaca City, Mexico was among the best experiences in my life. The culture change, the sounds, the smells, and even the people was intoxicating in the best way. Through living in a foreign country, you not only come to appreciate their way of life, but ponder yours as well. Oaxaca was a beautifully eye opening experience that I would recommend to anyone with horizons in need of expansion!

Immerse Yourself in Oaxaca

Working with Sol was the best choice! While in Oaxaca the director was always present. Academics- rigor depends on courses you take. As a Spanish speaker, I was challenged with the courses in which I partook. Volunteer opportunities are available, and I wish I had found an opportunity. Living with a host family is the best choice, with them you are able to excel in the Spanish language, but also create memories and bonds that stay with you. I recommend working with Sol, and going to Oaxaca because they are able to immerse you into the culture.

A Wonderful Summer in Oaxaca

This summer I had the privilege of studying abroad through Sol Education Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico- This program exceeded my expectations in every way and I would certainly recommend it to other students!

It was simply amazing.

As the title says, it was simply amazing. The food, how accepting the locals are, everything is just perfect. I recommend this organization 100% to any student who wants to go abroad and learn Spanish or just learn the culture or whatever.

Muy Bien

I had so much fun exploring the land of Oaxaca, Mexico. Sol did a great job of keeping us busying while at the same time allowing us to explore on our own. This has been a life changing trip for me not only because I have never been to Mexico but because what was created while I was there. The new friends that I made, the culture, etc. Based off of my trip I have decided that I will make Spanish my minor while studying at the University of Louisville & if possible I will be studying with Sol again next summer. Keep Smiling.

This Is A Beautiful Program

This is a beautiful program, that truly allowed me to become part of another culture for 3 months in ways that I wouldn't have imagined possible. The experience was so different from a usual tourist experience, and so enriching and rewarding. I adored every moment in this town. Oaxaca is a beautiful place, with so much blue sky and enormous clouds, and with endless cultural activities, such as music or dancing in the Zocalo, art galleries and openings, free movies in many different places, gorgeous churches, delicious delicious food, and warm, welcoming people. There are so many different faces to Mexico, and many of them are within reach of Oaxaca: Mexico City, Guanajuato, the mountains, the beach, ruins, daily markets, are all a bus-ride away. My experience with my family has left me feeling like I have a family and home in Mexico. I feel like I have been let in to so many of Mexico's secrets, just through my stay here with Sol Abroad.

My Love For Oaxaca And Sol Education Abroad

Going to Oaxaca through Sol Abroad was absolutely the best decision I could have ever made for myself. I more than adored my host family and cried my eyes out the morning I had to leave. I still keep in touch with friends I met through the program. I had studied abroad 3 times before and NEVER had the experience like I did through Sol Abroad. I could not possibly say enough to explain how much I loved my host family. They truly made me feel like I was a part of their family. I miss them so very much. The food we had was A-mazing! The teachers at the university were wonderful and the options of classes to choose from were pretty cool. The excurions we went on were the best and off the beaten path. Each week we had some type of cultural activity and it could be anything from jewelry making, cooking class, dance class, etc. I enjoyed how EVERYTHING really was included in the price. My past experiences we very different from the one through Sol. It was definitely everything they promised it would be AND MORE. I have looked over so many programs each time I have studied abroad, so I know how you feel like the reviews are not a true description. I wish words could explain how much this trip meant to me and how awesome it was. It has almost been two years since I have been home from Oaxaca and I still think about it on a daily basis. :( I desperately want to go back!!!

LOVED It!!!

I went for four weeks, one summer session. For me this was the perfect amount of time to spend away from home and still get the credits I needed, but I could have extended it--and I really wanted to, it was so hard to leave the greatest traveling experience I have ever had. The summer sessions are packed with activities every single day, and all of them are really interesting and culturally engaging. Never, at any point, was I bored or worried that I was speaking too much English day-to-day. I was shocked that the program was able to fit so many great experiences into one short session. I would definitely go to Oaxaca again, and I would definitely recommend this program to anybody on a Spanish track who wants some language/culture exposure. Oh yeah--and the family made me feel very at home, and the food was awesome.

Thanks!!

This past winter break (Jan. 2011) myself and 13 other students from Morgan State University were blessed with a wonderful opportunity to study abroad with Sol Education Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico. The three weeks stay was an amazing experience. We learned how to adapt to a different culture and studied Spanish at Benito Juarez University. I think the entire trip helped me learned the importance of life and how to treat people. Going outside the U.S. and living in Mexico made me appreciate the little things that I have and I no longer wanted to complain about the small problems I have in U.S. Going to school in Mexico opened my eyes to a different style of teaching and school. There are so many different cultures in the world and I think it is good to experience them and learn how to adapt to diversity. Living with a Mexican family for 3 weeks taught and showed me how families from all over are somewhat the same, but the culture is different. I made very sure to be respectful of these differences while living in Mexico. I realized that I was representing the U.S. and I was happy to share my culture and teach the people I've met in Mexico things about me as well as learn from them. This experience taught me the history behind the Mexican and Spanish speaking cultures. It also changed the way I view Mexico because I once thought it was nothing but dry/dessert land with very few things to look at. I discovered it was completely the opposite. Mexico is beautiful with a rich history. It has some of the oldest churches built handmade. This experience can impact my future, career wise and going to graduate school. The trip can open doors for more studying abroad trips and or employment. I now want to travel or work overseas more. I would recommend studying abroad to anyone because it is something that everyone should experience. It is a great way to expand your horizon outside of the U.S. because there is much in the world to learn! Traveling and studying abroad made me appreciate life so much more. I want to thank Sol Education as well as my school (MSU) for this great opportunity! Sol Education really did a good job at handling the preparing the trip for us. I recommend Sol Education for anyone who is thinking about studying abroad!

IMPRESSED!!

My daughter studied abroad the summer of 2010 through 'Sol Education'.

We were impressed by Sol Education's concern for the education, welfare and security of the students.

The Program Director sent us e-mail updates concerning safety issues, and my daughter and I both felt secure in the knowledge that SOL was vigilant and truly looking out for the students' safety.

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed her classes at the University of Oaxaca. In addition to the academics she was immersed in Mexican culture and the spanish language. (Her host family was great)
During free time from classes, Sol had excursions for the students to learn more about the country.

Truly a well rounded learning experience.

Highly Recommended!

I studied abroad through the SOL Education program in Oaxaca, Mexico last summer (2010) for 8 weeks, and it was an amazing experience! The directors at SOL were very easy to work with, and they went above and beyond to work directly with the International Studies Office at my university to ensure that every thing met the university's requirements. The directors were also to clearly answer any questions I had and made every accommodation that I needed without any problems. They provided all the information I needed to be fully prepared, and they kept my family updated regularly regarding my well-being.

The host family was absolutely wonderful. The family had years of experience with study abroad students. They made me feel as if I was part of the family, and I had never been better fed and taken care of. The family made sure I was always in good hands and was persistent with keeping me safe.

As far as the education in Spanish, it was perfect! The professors were extremely knowledgeable and effective. It was the best education in Spanish I could have ever asked for. I looked forward to going to class everyday and my knowledge of, and ability to speak, the Spanish language more than doubled in a super short amount of time!

The weekly activities were super fun and are just what every student needs to fully experience Mexican culture. Everyone was super friendly and they made everything a very meaningful experience. The food was clean and I never once got sick.

Also, the area in Mexico where I studied was very safe. We were over a thousand miles away from the border where most of the problems occur, which give Mexico the bad reputation for being dangerous. Oaxaca was not dangerous at all. The people in Oaxaca are kind and friendly, the city and countryside are beautiful, and there are so many things to see that you will never forget.

The SOL experience was worth every penny, if I could do it again I would choose SOL!